CTB Returns For 2021

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Agreed, but you didn't see any Suh-level players in the front 7 in Suh's first two years, either....

True. But (and I know this will annoy the recruiting haters), we also don't have any top-50 overall recruits either. Suh's development was key, but people tend to gloss over how big of a recruit he was because Marlon Lucky was rated even higher. Robinson is a stud and I think he'll be great, and I know not every all-american was highly rated out of high school. But we don't have many guys with all-american potential on the defensive side of the ball right now, although we're getting there.

I guess my point is to be optimistic about a defender turning into a dominant player, we need to be occasionally landing guys rated like Fidone, Corcoran, and Wan'Dale on the defensive side of the ball. Can it happen with lower rated guys? Sure. And Robinson, Henrich, Pola-Gates, and others were all still very highly regarded. Plus guys like CTB (very similar to Amukamara actually) can obviously way outperform their recruiting projections. But you've got a much better shot developing a guy into a dominant force if he's rated higher, and those guys on our team are young and still weren't rated as high as Suh.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Well my hope is that this D evolves into something close to mirroring Suh's last year hear with the experience returning - and being in one system, under one DC for more than 2 years.    Now if the O can improve and become consistent, than maybe we finally get a winning record next year. 

I think expecting this D to be the #1 ranked D in the nation in PPG as that 2009 Blackshirt squad was is probably a bit of a stretch. That being said, I think this version of the Blackshirts can be a top 25-30 D, which is pretty dang good.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I think expecting this D to be the #1 ranked D in the nation in PPG as that 2009 Blackshirt squad was is probably a bit of a stretch. That being said, I think this version of the Blackshirts can be a top 25-30 D, which is pretty dang good.

its a huge improvement from where we were when frost got here