Your 2021 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

NIce little write-up on NPG and also Caleb Tannor.  Talks about the adjustments they had to make and growing they had to do, even though they came in as highly-rated recruits.  Basically they were so good in high school they just had to run around and make plays.  The adjustment to playing within the structure of the defense and, especially for Tannor, getting stronger took longer than they had hoped.  But both are solidly in the second unit now and hoping to be contributors this year.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

NIce little write-up on NPG and also Caleb Tannor.  Talks about the adjustments they had to make and growing they had to do, even though they came in as highly-rated recruits.  Basically they were so good in high school they just had to run around and make plays.  The adjustment to playing within the structure of the defense and, especially for Tannor, getting stronger took longer than they had hoped.  But both are solidly in the second unit now and hoping to be contributors this year.

This is why I always just roll my eyes when people say, "just put the best athletes on the field and let them play".  NO......they have to understand the defense and how to play defense at this level.  On top of them being young, the rest of the defense was young too.  So, they had some upper classmen to bring them along, but not enough and not the upper class leadership that's needed.

It's also why I think it's so important that we have that on the defense this year.  Hopefully those older players are going to have a good defense this year and teach the younger players what it takes.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

This is why I always just roll my eyes when people say, "just put the best athletes on the field and let them play".  NO......they have to understand the defense and how to play defense at this level.  On top of them being young, the rest of the defense was young too.  So, they had some upper classmen to bring them along, but not enough and not the upper class leadership that's needed.

It's also why I think it's so important that we have that on the defense this year.  Hopefully those older players are going to have a good defense this year and teach the younger players what it takes.

Totally agree.

I was just thinking - reading the write-ups from today - that it's a good thing people are generally pleased with the progress they saw from the defense last year.  There is a ton of talk today about guys having to learn how to play the game and adjust to the mental aspect of it.

If I didn't know better, I would have thought we were back in the Pelini days where people insisted things were too complicated and we needed to simplify things to get the best athletes on the field.  We definitely needed a less complicated defense - like what we got the 3-4 years after Pelini was fired.

• Plus1 2

While I strongly disfavor the usual August team "hype" videos, I actually did not mind the last one posted.  A very light and business as usual approach.

I just hope the "whistling" in the video was not the sort that overly optimistic types do when they are walking past a graveyard.

Now that the hype period is nearly at an end, we can see if the actual results match the terrific practices that we hear so much about.  Let's have a game on the 28th with no turnovers and very few penalties and see how things end up.