Your 2021 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

On 9/17/2021 at 9:11 AM, Farms said:

I admittedly don't usually watch the game in close enough detail so I have a hard time telling who's fault it is when we are struggling on the line. It seems to me that we are having more issues with guys knowing who to pick up on blitzes or switching properly when guys stunt etc.  Or are guys just flat out getting beat?

It's both unfortunately, get flat-out beat too often and screw-up handling stunts too often. Make me wonder what we're practicing against that stunts work so damn consistently against us. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Danimal said:

It's both unfortunately, get flat-out beat too often and screw-up handling stunts too often. Make me wonder what we're practicing against that stunts work so damn consistently against us. 

Rob Zatechka seems to think that a lot of it is a coordination problem.  That is, Jurgens is holding his ground but the guards are giving a little ground so they're not on the same level. He says they need to be lined up better so it's easier to pass one guy off and pick up the next guy.

Not saying that's all of it but it seems to be a good point.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Rob Zatechka seems to think that a lot of it is a coordination problem.  That is, Jurgens is holding his ground but the guards are giving a little ground so they're not on the same level. He says they need to be lined up better so it's easier to pass one guy off and pick up the next guy.

Not saying that's all of it but it seems to be a good point.

I'll use Sichterman as an example because he had a pretty bad on against OU.  He went to his right to block and I believe it was Benharts man stunted and looped around.  you would think they would be a call or something like on defense you yell "crosser" if you are following a guy through traffic, but he didn't see him and he came through untouched.  You are max 5 ft from the guy how don't you see him?  I never played OL but it's like if I was taking on a block I'm not starring into the guys eyes I'm looking past him for the ball.  Can you block someone and use your eyes to see another blocker or no?  Or maybe he though Cam would pick him up and that would have to do with communication as well

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'll use Sichterman as an example because he had a pretty bad on against OU.  He went to his right to block and I believe it was Benharts man stunted and looped around.  you would think they would be a call or something like on defense you yell "crosser" if you are following a guy through traffic, but he didn't see him and he came through untouched.  You are max 5 ft from the guy how don't you see him?  I never played OL but it's like if I was taking on a block I'm not starring into the guys eyes I'm looking past him for the ball.  Can you block someone and use your eyes to see another blocker or no?  Or maybe he though Cam would pick him up and that would have to do with communication as well

And this is why I cringe when Frost goes 5 receivers wide, empty backfield. I realize that running this type of formation can be the ticket in a spread offense...but our line just can't handle it.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

So Gabe Ervin to redshirt with the season ending injury.

Will it be Johnson or Morrison that steps up and contributes more now alongside Stepp? Going to be interesting to find out.

It really seems to me that Johnson has passed up Morrison.  Between how hard he was running against OU and the report that he is (now) the best in pass pro, I expect to see him a lot.

I would say the more interesting question is will we see more of Stepp or Morrison.  Stepp seems to have taken a back seat the last two games.  Though a different opponent could change that.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

It really seems to me that Johnson has passed up Morrison.  Between how hard he was running against OU and the report that he is (now) the best in pass pro, I expect to see him a lot.

I would say the more interesting question is will we see more of Stepp or Morrison.  Stepp seems to have taken a back seat the last two games.  Though a different opponent could change that.

The running back rotation is odd to me, especially with all the bell cow talk pre-season and through the first few weeks.  It felt like Gabe was getting there prior to his injury, and maybe that was the plan all along, to ease the freshman into the role.  Great opportunity for the rest of the room though.      

• Plus1 2