Your 2021 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm confused on this.  Everyone's making it sound like he's the starter.  The depth chart has him as second string.

Not sure this is the OMG moment some are making it out to be.

Probably something to do with the #1 RT being on shaky ground, and everyone likes a walk-on story. #2 is a pretty big step up from the vague mass of walk-on lineman that we don't really expect to contribute.

48 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Where are all the OT's we have recruited the last several years? 

Prochazka - out for the year

Yager - didn't show up

Corcoran - #1 LT

Conn - Guard I think? Either way, 2nd year player

Miller - Working his way back into shape, I think he's the #2 LT?

Benhart - #1 RT

Banks - Injured

So I mean the ones that are here are in the 2 deep or hurt. Not too shocking that once you get past these guys a 4th year walk-on is one of the best remaining options.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Probably something to do with the #1 RT being on shaky ground, and everyone likes a walk-on story. #2 is a pretty big step up from the vague mass of walk-on lineman that we don't really expect to contribute.

Prochazka - out for the year

Yager - didn't show up

Corcoran - #1 LT

Conn - Guard I think? Either way, 2nd year player

Miller - Working his way back into shape, I think he's the #2 LT?

Benhart - #1 RT

Banks - Injured

So I mean the ones that are here are in the 2 deep or hurt. Not too shocking that once you get past these guys a 4th year walk-on is one of the best remaining options.

Banks was on depth chart at G Minny week. Miller as you mentioned was #2 at LT. In all actuality we lost 1 Tackle and now have a walkon on the 2 deep. Just seems like we have a total mess on our hands on the OL. Whether that is a recruiting, development etc mess I don't know but man in year 4 we shouldnt be a true freshman injury away from a walk on that the vast majority of us have never heard of now being on the 2 deep. Is this a Frost move? Is this an Austin decision? Seems like shuffling didnt occur until Frost got involved. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Banks was on depth chart at G Minny week. Miller as you mentioned was #2 at LT. In all actuality we lost 1 Tackle and now have a walkon on the 2 deep. Just seems like we have a total mess on our hands on the OL. Whether that is a recruiting, development etc mess I don't know but man in year 4 we shouldnt be a true freshman injury away from a walk on that the vast majority of us have never heard of now being on the 2 deep. Is this a Frost move? Is this an Austin decision? Seems like shuffling didnt occur until Frost got involved. 

To me it's a recruiting issue. Ideally the guys recruited in the last couple years are the ones sliding into the two-deep when injuries happen, not the ones already composing the entire two-deep.

But looking back beyond the last couple, we just didn't hit on any tackles. Willie Canty didn't make it in 2018, he was the only tackle in the class. For 2019 Benhart is there, but now Banks is at Guard, Anderson and Fritzsche transferred, and Lynn I think is a Guard. You'd hope for a couple 17/18 kids in the two deep, but Jaimes (NFL) and Walker (DL) were the 2017 Tackles under a different staff, and Austin got no one in 2018. When that's the case '19 needed to be big for Tackle and of the 5, who all at least had the height, only one is still here and playing tackle. Could be lack of development, definitely poor recruiting though.

14 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The 7 sacks allowed in the Michigan State game changed things.

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

so is this a developmental issue? recruiting issue? evaluation issue? 

A little bit of each.

Frost's first class was a dud.....that's not necessarily a shock.

Frost had to take some chances as recruiting offensive linemen in the B1G isn't easy......I mean most every single team has big athletic offensive linemen.....even the "Illinois and Minnesota's".

.....so you take a project or three and see what happens.

There a so many good pieces in place that now weakness are becoming more glaring.

Sacks against and red zone efficiency are glaring stats and are Frost's top priorities to take care of.

It's unfortunate that Benhart is so much under the microscope, but he is......

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

A little bit of each.

Frost's first class was a dud.....that's not necessarily a shock.

Frost had to take some chances as recruiting offensive linemen in the B1G isn't easy......I mean most every single team has big athletic offensive linemen.....even the "Illinois and Minnesota's".

.....so you take a project or three and see what happens.

There a so many good pieces in place that now weakness are becoming more glaring.

Sacks against and red zone efficiency are glaring stats and are Frost's top priorities to take care of.

It's unfortunate that Benhart is so much under the microscope, but he is......

benhart needs more time to develop but the lack of addressing the OL in the portal, juco etc the last 3 years has forced him into a role before he was ready. In the end it is still all on Frost at this point and ya feel sorry for the kid. 

• Plus1 1