Your 2021 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

benhart needs more time to develop but the lack of addressing the OL in the portal, juco etc the last 3 years has forced him into a role before he was ready. In the end it is still all on Frost at this point and ya feel sorry for the kid. 

Agreed 

I mean it's always on the head coach and Frost has not been without missteps.

The good thing now is we are so underclassman heavy that bringing in 10 jucos and portal players will be ok.

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

Agreed 

I mean it's always on the head coach and Frost has not been without missteps.

The good thing now is we are so underclassman heavy that bringing in 10 jucos and portal players will be ok.

it will all come down the quality of transfers and juco players we can get if Frost comes back and we have another losing season. If a new HC is hired he will need to hit juco and transfer portal as well. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

To me it's a recruiting issue. Ideally the guys recruited in the last couple years are the ones sliding into the two-deep when injuries happen, not the ones already composing the entire two-deep.

Ideally, more than at any other position, you want the O-line to get old and stay old. Ideally, right now we'd be starting five guys in their fourth, fifth, or (covid/injury) sixth year in the program. Fourth year would be Frost's first class, fifth & sixth would be Riley recruits. I think for guys who were on scholarship coming out of HS, the only ones who meet that definition are Sichterman (Riley), Bando (Riley), and Jurgens (Frost).

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Toe said:

Ideally, more than at any other position, you want the O-line to get old and stay old. Ideally, right now we'd be starting five guys in their fourth, fifth, or (covid/injury) sixth year in the program. Fourth year would be Frost's first class, fifth & sixth would be Riley recruits. I think for guys who were on scholarship coming out of HS, the only ones who meet that definition are Sichterman (Riley), Bando (Riley), and Jurgens (Frost).

And this should have been addressed prior to this year or last in the JUCO or transfer portal to assist in buying time for the young guys to develop. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

And this should have been addressed prior to this year or last in the JUCO or transfer portal to assist in buying time for the young guys to develop. 

He probably should have.

He definitely had some recruiting misses and flipping a roster will lend itself to some misses.

34 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

You can't just "fix" Oline issues in 18 months, especially 18 Covid months. This is similar to people complaining that we don't have 3 all american level place kickers on the roster ready to go. You only have, what, 16-18 O lineman on the roster. He DID actually bring in Nouredin Nouili and Ezra Miller via basically transfers. The reality is, there aren't a lot of Big10 ready o-lineman out there PERIOD. Most of the good ones are on O-lines places and are not looking to transfer. The few that may be looking to transfer aren't looking at the past 15 years of lineman NU has put out and thinking, "man, that's the place for me." Not to mention, how many THOUSANDS of times have I heard the sentiment, "We can recruit high level athletes and just grow our own O-Lineman from the midwest boys." Honestly, it is not a bad blueprint and likely it is THE blueprint, but that doesn't lend itself to these easy quick fixes you seem to go on and on about as being reasonable to expect. Give me a break. We are going to have to grow our own pipeline, but you don't do that with 0 seniors and 3 juniors total on the roster. Silly to rant this way imo. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

You can't just "fix" Oline issues in 18 months, especially 18 Covid months. This is similar to people complaining that we don't have 3 all american level place kickers on the roster ready to go. You only have, what, 16-18 O lineman on the roster. He DID actually bring in Nouredin Nouili and Ezra Miller via basically transfers. The reality is, there aren't a lot of Big10 ready o-lineman out there PERIOD. Most of the good ones are on O-lines places and are not looking to transfer. The few that may be looking to transfer aren't looking at the past 15 years of lineman NU has put out and thinking, "man, that's the place for me." Not to mention, how many THOUSANDS of times have I heard the sentiment, "We can recruit high level athletes and just grow our own O-Lineman from the midwest boys." Honestly, it is not a bad blueprint and likely it is THE blueprint, but that doesn't lend itself to these easy quick fixes you seem to go on and on about as being reasonable to expect. Give me a break. We are going to have to grow our own pipeline, but you don't do that with 0 seniors and 3 juniors total on the roster. Silly to rant this way imo. 

We are in year 4. You can fix OL issues in 4 years and we haven't. How did PJ Fleck do it? 

19 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

We are in year 4. You can fix OL issues in 4 years and we haven't. How did PJ Fleck do it? 

He didn't do it.  This is PFF's write up from his 4th year as HC. Granted, his line looks better in his 5th season........

"From a pass protection perspective, Minnesota's offensive line has not performed up to snuff. This Gophers' unit ranks 95th in unit pass-blocking grade and just one of the five starters on the line has produced a pass-blocking grade that meets the Big Ten average at their respective position (Conner Olson is seventh among Big Ten right guards). When it comes to run blocking, though, this line has been in the upper echelon of college football; it leads the Big Ten and ranks 10th overall in the FBS."

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

He didn't do it.  This is PFF's write up from his 4th year as HC. Granted, his line looks better in his 5th season........

"From a pass protection perspective, Minnesota's offensive line has not performed up to snuff. This Gophers' unit ranks 95th in unit pass-blocking grade and just one of the five starters on the line has produced a pass-blocking grade that meets the Big Ten average at their respective position (Conner Olson is seventh among Big Ten right guards). When it comes to run blocking, though, this line has been in the upper echelon of college football; it leads the Big Ten and ranks 10th overall in the FBS."

That literally says he had the best run blocking OL in the B1G and 10th in college football...additionally the top graded OLs for last year had Minny at 34th and NU at 94th.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-offensive-lines-through-cfb-week-13

• Plus1 1

I don't like PJ Fleck, a lot of people don't like PJ Fleck.  BUT, PJ Fleck has done better than Frost and also has continued to kick around the Huskers.

I would take PJ to run our program.  I like wins more than I dislike Fleck.  Fleck won't be our next coach, but I will remember to deal with any coach who pisses me off but wins.  (like Bo)

• Plus1 1