Jump to content


Your 2021 Nebraska Cornhuskers


Mavric

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

That literally says he had the best run blocking OL in the B1G and 10th in college football...additionally the top graded OLs for last year had Minny at 34th and NU at 94th.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-offensive-lines-through-cfb-week-13

You asked how PJ created a great o-line in year 4 starting with a bare cupboard compared to Scott Frost's year 4 version and I was simply showing the PJ did no such thing. PJ's year 4 o-line would look absolutely no better than Scott's currently does with the amount of pass pro they are asked to do. Yes, PJ ran Ibrahim all over the field with his year 4 O-line which may have made them appear like a good o-line, because undoubtedly they could run block.. That said, that vaunted run blocking still led to a rushing attack that  finished some 15 positions behind NU last year.  You asked how PJ created such a great o-line in 4 years, and I am arguing that he didn't at all. He simply let allowed them to predominately run block in a poor offensive scheme for an all american caliber running back. Certainly, they didn't pass block at a high level at all. 

 

Let Frost build the line. His offense offers an infinitely higher ceiling that PJ's does. He not behind some magical PJ curve O-Line development, rather, he is working on building an 0-Line that  support an offense can be competitive with the top teams in the nation, not one that hopes to prove they can occasionally be 5th place in the big10. He may not get there, but nothing is more Nebraska than go big or go home. I don't want to be Minnesota. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

8 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

You asked how PJ created a great o-line in year 4 starting with a bare cupboard compared to Scott Frost's year 4 version and I was simply showing the PJ did no such thing. PJ's year 4 o-line would look absolutely no better than Scott's currently does with the amount of pass pro they are asked to do. Yes, PJ ran Ibrahim all over the field with his year 4 O-line which may have made them appear like a good o-line, because undoubtedly they could run block.. That said, that vaunted run blocking still led to a rushing attack that  finished some 15 positions behind NU last year.  You asked how PJ created such a great o-line in 4 years, and I am arguing that he didn't at all. He simply let allowed them to predominately run block in a poor offensive scheme for an all american caliber running back. Certainly, they didn't pass block at a high level at all. 

 

Let Frost build the line. His offense offers an infinitely higher ceiling that PJ's does. He not behind some magical PJ curve O-Line development, rather, he is working on building an 0-Line that  support an offense can be competitive with the top teams in the nation, not one that hopes to prove they can occasionally be 5th place in the big10. He may not get there, but nothing is more Nebraska than go big or go home. I don't want to be Minnesota. 

Minnesota doesn't want to be Nebraska either....

Link to comment

5 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

And this should have been addressed prior to this year or last in the JUCO or transfer portal to assist in buying time for the young guys to develop. 

 

I agree 100%.

 

The kicker situation is some bizarre bad luck, I mean we're going through them like Spinal Tap drummers.

 

But the offensive line... I don't expect it to be elite at this point, but 'average' is a reasonable expectation. And the thing is, we've reached at least that point a couple times now, but we keep regressing. Some of it is injuries, of course, but that isn't enough to account for being this bad in the middle of year four. I guess there's still some hope that guys like Turner will be healed up a bit after finally getting a bye week. But if in the remainder of the season the O-line doesn't see some improvement - consistent, steady improvement - I can't imagine any rationale for keeping Austin.

 

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Fleck can thank his lucky stars he took over what Jerry Kill established 

 

(and yes, I know Kill and am biased there)

 

I went to the same small town HS as Jerry Kill, so... same.

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

 

I agree 100%.

 

The kicker situation is some bizarre bad luck, I mean we're going through them like Spinal Tap drummers.

 

But the offensive line... I don't expect it to be elite at this point, but 'average' is a reasonable expectation. And the thing is, we've reached at least that point a couple times now, but we keep regressing. Some of it is injuries, of course, but that isn't enough to account for being this bad in the middle of year four. I guess there's still some hope that guys like Turner will be healed up a bit after finally getting a bye week. But if in the remainder of the season the O-line doesn't see some improvement - consistent, steady improvement - I can't imagine any rationale for keeping Austin.

 

 

I went to the same small town HS as Jerry Kill, so... same.

Yes.....Kill and Gary Patterson are both part of the Dennis Franchione coaching tree.....originating in Kansas small town high school and college ball.

 

I would have been good if any of the above got the Nebraska job at various times.

 

But i think sticking with Frost now is the way to go.  And I agree that Austin might get let go by Friost 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long post: There’s some speculation that a couple guys might opt to be done for the season in preparation for the draft. In my opinion, at 3-7, this is a good thing and I wouldn’t be mad at them for “quitting” on the season. First off, we want guys to get drafted, that’s good for the program and gives us something to sell in recruiting and helps the brand. Someone draft eligible getting injured in a meaningless game after we are eliminated from bowl season doesn’t help us or them.

 

But if you don’t buy that reasoning, the other important thing is that the coaches desperately need to know what we have for next season. We are planning on hitting the transfer portal hard and we have two games left to find out exactly where and how much help we need for next year. A player opting out eliminates the awkwardness of feeling like you have to play him and it allows us to play a young guy and ensure them that they are the future even if we are planning on bringing in a portal guy to compete for their spot.
 

I’d love nothing more than to beat Wisconsin and Iowa but sitting at 3 wins, we need to work on next year as much as we need to finish out this year. And as we saw against Rutgers with Corcoran, Wisconsin with Ty Robinson, Teddy against NW and Michigan, etc, starting a young guy against a conference foe doesn’t necessarily equate to a certain loss and can give us a ton of excitement about the player going forward. Anyway, just some internet speculation so far, nothing official. Christopherson made it sound like Jojo at the very least.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

Sorry for the long post: There’s some speculation that a couple guys might opt to be done for the season in preparation for the draft. In my opinion, at 3-7, this is a good thing and I wouldn’t be mad at them for “quitting” on the season. First off, we want guys to get drafted, that’s good for the program and gives us something to sell in recruiting and helps the brand. Someone draft eligible getting injured in a meaningless game after we are eliminated from bowl season doesn’t help us or them.

 

But if you don’t buy that reasoning, the other important thing is that the coaches desperately need to know what we have for next season. We are planning on hitting the transfer portal hard and we have two games left to find out exactly where and how much help we need for next year. A player opting out eliminates the awkwardness of feeling like you have to play him and it allows us to play a young guy and ensure them that they are the future even if we are planning on bringing in a portal guy to compete for their spot.
 

I’d love nothing more than to beat Wisconsin and Iowa but sitting at 3 wins, we need to work on next year as much as we need to finish out this year. And as we saw against Rutgers with Corcoran, Wisconsin with Ty Robinson, Teddy against NW and Michigan, etc, starting a young guy against a conference foe doesn’t necessarily equate to a certain loss and can give us a ton of excitement about the player going forward. Anyway, just some internet speculation so far, nothing official. Christopherson made it sound like Jojo at the very least.

Other than JoJo and Damien I can't think of who could afford to sit out, and I know JoJo won't. CTB has some pretty meh tape this year in our weaker competition.

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...