Your 2021 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

:facepalm:

We look great on paper every year according to the rankings. We just recruit a bunch of flakes or the program is so poorly run they leave. We should stop taking junior college players. Literal waste of time for this staff. 

• Plus1 3

7 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Niko was buried on the depth chart. A physical specimen but not sure he would ever contribute aside from special teams.

The guy had 24 tackles in junior college his sophomore year. Realistically it was an absolute reach that we shouldn’t have taken. 

• Plus1 3

Niko Cooper was a reach to begin with. His only other P5 offer was Maryland. Given the timing of his departure (during winter conditioning), I'm guessing that he didn't like the grind of being a P5-level player. Apparently there was an incident where he threw a big s#!tfit after an older walk-on called him out for missing practice. Don't think he'll be missed much.

Still, recruiting JUCO guys is feeling like a colossal waste of time at this point. And for as much as the staff wants to find guys who are a good 'fit' culturally, they sure seem bad at identifying them as recruits...

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Toe said:

Niko Cooper was a reach to begin with. His only other P5 offer was Maryland. Given the timing of his departure (during winter conditioning), I'm guessing that he didn't like the grind of being a P5-level player. Apparently there was an incident where he threw a big s#!tfit after an older walk-on called him out for missing practice. Don't think he'll be missed much.

Still, recruiting JUCO guys is feeling like a colossal waste of time at this point. And for as much as the staff wants to find guys who are a good 'fit' culturally, they sure seem bad at identifying them as recruits...

There might be more departures with Jason Peter roaming the weight room.

(I kid ...)

Guess I'm gonna have to go back and read the thread and see what the board members said about him when he signed on.

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I'm not disagreeing with you ... just posting this quote.  

“Niko’s a grownup physically & emotionally. Got an NFL body coming off and rushing the passer so we’re excited to get him cranked up, teach him the defense. I think he has a chance to make an immediate impact.”

2 hours ago, Toe said:

It's worked out alright for us with Honas and did with Deontai Williams too. It's going to be a crapshoot though, I envision the next year or two being especially difficult to evaluate JUCOs with the Covid disruptions and all the transfers who will be looking for a spot. Going to be a lot of names trying to get attention, hopefully our staff will be very picky.