Great coaching advice from former Husker Jake Peetz

Ok.  I had to read the article to find out who Jake was.  I also found out who he is now.  An up and coming coach with some good mentors.  And incites into coaching.  Good read.  Here are a few of the incites that make you go hmmmmm........Some inside info on Saban.  And his philosophies.....Would like to hear some of Frost and Co building blocks of success.  Not a knock.  really don't know his "cornerstone" philosophies.  Or a lot of coaches for that matter.

"People ask me the secret to coach (Nick) Saban," Peetz once told me. "I tell them it's so simple that you're not even going to write it down, and you're going to think I'm hiding something from you.  "It's this: Everybody has a defined role and expectation, and you're held accountable to that. That's what it is to the nth degree. Your role is defined. You're going to have a very high expectation, and you will be held accountable, and you're going to be given every opportunity to succeed.

"He told me if you want to be great in this profession, you need to learn and understand defense at a very high level if you want to be good on offense," Peetz said.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-in-former-husker-jake-peetz-lsu-gets-expert-on-bama-among-other/article_24d45b5d-7149-5784-a292-63c0eb0b53ea.amp.html

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

35 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost has played and coached with some of the best football coaches in the past 30-40 years.

40 years ago Frost was in kindergarten. :) But I suppose maybe his dad had given him a football by then.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Toe said:

40 years ago Frost was in kindergarten. :) But I suppose maybe his dad had given him a football by then.

My comment wasn’t about Frost hanging around great coaches 40 years ago, my comment was that the coaches he has played for are among the best in the past 30-40 (even 50 years) of pro and college football. 

• Plus1 3
14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost has played and coached with some of the best football coaches in the past 30-40 years. These include: Osborne, Walsh, Parcells, Belichick, Dungy, and Tomlin to name a few. I am confident that Frost has used his experiences with all of these coaches to base his own philosophies on football coaching. 

Also I am pretty sure most of what Saban does closely resembles the culture Belichick has in NE. 

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost has played and coached with some of the best football coaches in the past 30-40 years. These include: Osborne, Walsh, Parcells, Belichick, Dungy, and Tomlin to name a few. I am confident that Frost has used his experiences with all of these coaches to base his own philosophies on football coaching. 

And he thought this offense was the best fit for the B1G? 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Seems to be working pretty well for Ohio State in the Big 10.  

If you watched our games this year nothing we do resembles anything Ohio State is doing offensively. Maybe that is the goal or what we are working towards. But currently we look nothing like them.

Second- Ohio State has way better players than everyone else in the Big Ten. It really doesn't matter what they do it will work.

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If you watched our games this year nothing we do resembles anything Ohio State is doing offensively. Maybe that is the goal or what we are working towards. But currently we look nothing like them.

Second- Ohio State has way better players than everyone else in the Big Ten. It really doesn't matter what they do it will work.

I agree.  OSU punishes defenses at the point of attack with a north / south running game using both Sermon and Fields.  Our approach is a perimeter one with run / pass.  The plays take too long to develop and consequently, result in too many negative plays or turnovers.  

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

24 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I agree.  OSU punishes defenses at the point of attack with a north / south running game using both Sermon and Fields.  Our approach is a perimeter one with run / pass.  The plays take too long to develop and consequently, result in too many negative plays or turnovers.  

They run a lot of inside zone. We run a lot of inside zone. Our line does not look like this when we run inside zone. Sorry for the blurry picture, the youtube highlights I pulled it from were not high quality.

OWIRB5P.jpg

Our line doesn't even need to do this to be successful, the level of dominance here is definitely affected by OSU's talent level. But the scheme is very similar, and can work. It doesn't even need to work to the same degree, at least for now.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

They run a lot of inside zone. We run a lot of inside zone. Our line does not look like this when we run inside zone. Sorry for the blurry picture, the youtube highlights I pulled it from were not high quality.

OWIRB5P.jpg

Our line doesn't even need to do this to be successful, the level of dominance here is definitely affected by OSU's talent level. But the scheme is very similar, and can work. It doesn't even need to work to the same degree, at least for now.

So we should still work on special teams then?