Insurrection fallout

45 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And this is why they need to be labeled domestic terrorists and locked up before they continue to recruit.

There are good people being led astray by these fools. They don't deserve to have their lives ruined because someone wants to cosplay as a latter-day revolutionary.

I actually agreed with Donald Trump's infamous "good people on both sides" statement in the aftermath of Charlottesville. There are many interesting and inspiring cases of former white supremacists and violent rightwing activists renouncing their beliefs and actions and working for change and understanding. One was the Nebraska Ku Klux Klan grand dragon who had his life turned around by the Lincoln Rabbi he'd been threatening. 

https://www.robertglazer.com/friday-forward/love-hate/

It doesn't mean both sides are right. It means the good people on the bad side still have to change sides. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

I actually agreed with Donald Trump's infamous "good people on both sides" statement in the aftermath of Charlottesville. There are many interesting and inspiring cases of former white supremacists and violent rightwing activists renouncing their beliefs and actions and working for change and understanding. One was the Nebraska Ku Klux Klan grand dragon who had his life turned around by the Lincoln Rabbi he'd been threatening. 

https://www.robertglazer.com/friday-forward/love-hate/

It doesn't mean both sides are right. It means the good people on the bad side still have to change sides. 

I think that's an overly charitable interpretation of trump's statement.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I couldn’t remember either.  He said it because Trump triggers him.   And that’s fine.  We all have our trigger points.  Just call it what it is. 

“Trump” does not trigger me. A President, any President, who lies to the American people, calls for insurrection and who clearly is a threat to our democracy and is a security risk, yes, that person “triggers” me. The burning question is, why doesn’t that bother or concern you?  I won’t offer the obvious possible answer(s) to that question in the regular forum. You’ve already made it clear for anyone who has been paying attention. Good luck with your......condition.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I think that's an overly charitable interpretation of trump's statement.

Trump's statement? Sure. I'm trying to be charitable because I'm struggling with people I care about saying horrible things. 

But the idea of good people being led astray by racists and reactionaries goes to your point.

However you want to slice it, they are racists for enabling racists. But are they redeemable?  We need to build a political off-ramp that makes it easier. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But the idea of good people being led astray by racists and reactionaries goes to your point.

However you want to slice it, they are racists for enabling racists. But are they redeemable?  We need to build a political off-ramp that makes it easier. 

Of course. While they remain racists and embrace racist ideologies and acts, of course they get what they deserve.

Everyone loves a redemption story. But that off-ramp exists, and is readily accessible for truly good people. They just have to stop embracing hate. Holding them accountable while they do is just.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Trump's statement? Sure. I'm trying to be charitable because I'm struggling with people I care about saying horrible things. 

The good people Trump was referring to were the people protesting the taking down of statues.  He specifically condemned White Supremacy.  There were a many majority of people at those protests who only cares about the statues and preserving the historical components and wanted nothing to to do with the KKK type crowd.  Even Leftists like Jake Tapper have fact checked this 

• Plus1 2

I'm mostly speaking to the Goebbels-like brilliance of Make America Great Again. It speaks to a time of uncomplicated White Supremacy, but wraps it in generic nostalgia for a time that didn't really exist. That means people who truly believe they're good people, and take pride in how well they get along with the black lady running the HR department, can encourage a white supremacy movement. They've got nothing against the gays and the blacks and the Hispanics, but they don't want them in their face, or protesting on their street, or crossing their border. Life was simpler when you didn't have to think about this stuff. Why are the liberals making us think about this stuff?

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Yep, I understand.

Now you understand.  We as a nation need to take down the statues from the public and put them in museums.  Arguing to keep a statue of a person who supported slavery in the public as an adored/respected figure in history, is an affront to equal rights and a big f#&% you to African Ameicans...You do not have to be a member of the KKK nor a white supremacist to be a racist.  It doesn't matter if the people who want the statue to remain up are super nice individuals...these figures in history belong in a museum...NOT in a public square with upkeep provided by tax dollars paid for by the people this individual would call 'boy' and whip until their backs bled.

And those super nice individuals do not deserve to be lumped in with racist white nationals/KKK type individuals. 

• Plus1 1