Insurrection fallout

The closer is example is 2004, and it's really not that close. The president of Diebold -- that year's voting machine contractor -- supposedly promised he would deliver Ohio for G. W. Bush. Election Day exit polls, which have generally been the most accurate, suggested Kerry was rapidly closing on Bush, but the final tallies did not reflect that. So a couple conspiracy theories bounced around, but they got little to no traction among Democrats and the media. Bush won. Kerry lost. We moved on.

Of course the 2000 election was razor thin, with a Republican secretary of state calling the shots, and a conservative Supreme Court majority not allowing for the kind of recount Republicans now deem perfectly reasonable and necessary, in an election that was declared early for the candidate with fewer votes. Republicans bussed hired protestors to Florida to pretend outrage, but Gore and the Democrats accepted the results and moved on. 

You know who didn't accept the 2016 results? Donald Trump. He was so sure he was going to lose that he pre-declared the election fraudulent. Until he won. Then he realized Hillary Clinton had 3 million more popular votes. Then he declared it fraudulent again, claiming proof that illegal immigrants had voted for Hillary, pulling the number 3 million out of his a$$. All through this, I don't recall Democrats claiming Trump had secured the Presidency illegally, even if we couldn't believe it had happened and hated what it meant about the country. I just remember thinking that a lot of Americans had kept quiet about their support of Trump, and used the anonymity of the voting booth to vex the pollsters. Most Democrats spent zero time on conspiracy theories, and more time wondering if Hillary Clinton wasn't the wisest choice. 

There's no doubt Russia tried to influence the U.S. election for Trump. There's no damning evidence of collusion from the Trump team. There's less evidence it actually swung the election. Russia mattered mostly because the intelligence agencies that monitored Trump knew the unsavory company he kept in Russia and Eastern Europe, and how his compromised finances presented a security risk if he became President of the United States. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

An expansive look at what has happened to the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers since Jan 6th.  

But to me, the most alarming aspect of the article comes at the end. These last few sentences tells the story about what has happened to the GOP.  The cultish blindness is beyond belief.  :facepalm:

Mr. Tarrio (TG: Proud Boy Leader) said he plans to launch a video platform and his own credit-card processor to serve people like him and other cutoff groups, in an effort to give him and the Proud Boys an uninterrupted flow of income. In the meantime, he said, he is taking classes on how to invest in nonfungible tokens and bitcoin, and he has turned to speaking engagements to increase his exposure.

In early May, he was the keynote speaker at a dinner by the Boca Raton Regional Republican Club, with tickets at $45 a pop. At the event, he said, he sold T-shirts with the slogan “Enrique Tarrio Did Nothing Wrong.” He said he sold about $700 worth of them.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/proud-boys-and-oath-keepers-forceful-on-jan-6-privately-are-in-turmoil-11623859785

• Plus1 1

I wonder what these sentences would be if these people were of middle eastern decent and wearing turbans.  

In actuallity, it's not reasonable that they all would spend time because we don't have jail room for all of them.  The probation can be interesting.  I guess at least the probation officer will know what they are up to for the next 3 years.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

The prosecution must not have thought it wasn't a solid case...if they let her plead down a felony. (not sure if that's accurate)

3 years probation is quite a bit for a misdemeanor. $500 is less than a DUI however...

I'm wondering if she was someone who was just walking around inside and not someone doing damage.  I like the probation but think the fine was pathetic.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm wondering if she was someone who was just walking around inside and not someone doing damage.  I like the probation but think the fine was pathetic.

At least tack on weeks or months worth of community service.

Or ship them off to some other country if they don’t like our system of government here…