Insurrection fallout

Just now, schriznoeder said:

He could have received up to 20 years, instead receives 8 months. Let's hope future sentences trend upward.

The 20 years isn't a good benchmark. The prosecution was asking for 18 months and probation office for 15 months:

10 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Rhetorical question: At what point are prosecutors going to start asking for more than a slap on the wrist?

8 months in prison is pretty serious. He's probably going to lose his job and his house (according to him at the sentencing). I'm ok with 8 months for a first time offender that did not commit violent acts (AFAICT from the trial articles I've read) and was not part of the planning of storming the capitol.

13 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Rhetorical question: At what point are prosecutors going to start asking for more than a slap on the wrist?

fwiw...i look at a lot of these people who were there as victims of a conman.  they still broke the law....but it was believing the big lie that brought them there.

31 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

8 months in prison is pretty serious. He's probably going to lose his job and his house (according to him at the sentencing). I'm ok with 8 months for a first time offender that did not commit violent acts (AFAICT from the trial articles I've read) and was not part of the planning of storming the capitol.

I probably should have rephrased my question to say something like "At what point are prosecutors going to start asking for more than what appears to be a slap on the wrist?" While I don't disagree that Hodgkins' life is going to be in shambles after all of this, I fear that outsiders (including would-be insurrectionists) will view this as a minor punishment. Like you said, it was for a non-violent crime, and I generally support reduced sentences for things like possession of drugs or credit card fraud. But being part of a plot to overturn an election (no matter how minor or non-violent) is different. I just pray that the the sentences will increase dramatically for the more violent perpetrators or those who helped plan the event.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

and I generally support reduced sentences for things like possession of drugs or credit card fraud.

Why are you lenient on credit card fraud?  Have you ever had it happen to you and the hassle it is to get everything squared away including but not limited to your credit report.  

Im fine with those people getting the maximum allowable sentence every single time.  

drug use offenses I could agree with you.  

• Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

I probably should have rephrased my question to say something like "At what point are prosecutors going to start asking for more than what appears to be a slap on the wrist?" While I don't disagree that Hodgkins' life is going to be in shambles after all of this, I fear that outsiders (including would-be insurrectionists) will view this as a minor punishment. Like you said, it was for a non-violent crime, and I generally support reduced sentences for things like possession of drugs or credit card fraud. But being part of a plot to overturn an election (no matter how minor or non-violent) is different. I just pray that the the sentences will increase dramatically for the more violent perpetrators or those who helped plan the event.

If Hodgkin's had been involved with the plot or otherwise was proven to have premeditated the storming of the capitol, then that would be different. But by all accounts he was just along for the ride. Not an excuse but also not as worthy of punishment as premeditation.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, commando said:

fwiw...i look at a lot of these people who were there as victims of a conman.  they still broke the law....but it was believing the big lie that brought them there.

I agree that many of these people could be viewed as victims, but they still should have known when to push the proverbial stop button. It sets a bad precedence if we can simply blame someone else for convincing us to commit crimes.

2 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

I agree that many of these people could be viewed as victims, but they still should have known when to push the proverbial stop button. It sets a bad precedence if we can simply blame someone else for convincing us to commit crimes.

i agree that it was them who broke the law...i just pity them for believing the conman

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why are you lenient on credit card fraud?  Have you ever had it happen to you and the hassle it is to get everything squared away including but not limited to your credit report.  

Im fine with those people getting the maximum allowable sentence every single time.  

drug use offenses I could agree with you.  

I don't disagree - dealing with credit card fraud is a complete cluster. I was just making the point that between violent and non-violent criminals, I'd rather see the former behind bars for the maximum amount of time. Give the latter something else unsavory to do, like 500 hours of scraping bubble gum off the bottoms of stadium seats. Or 1,000 hours of listening to a fourth grader play the oboe.