Insurrection fallout

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Wow.  To be clear, this was a memorial to show respect to the police and armed services who fought and sacrificed their lives on that day or in the days after protecting our capital.

I’m not sure who rest of your rant was geared toward but I will ask why this doesn’t take place yearly for every officer and soldier who dies whether it be by combat, natural causes or suicide? It would seem to be a great remembrance for those who fought and sacrificed their lives every day.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is she trying to say he was “alt right” for the past twenty years?  

I was not able to obtain Warnagiris’s senior essay; a spokesperson for St. John’s said that the essays are not available online, and only those that win college prizes are stored at the school — and Warnagiris’s did not win a prize. But its title was listed in the school’s 2002 commencement pamphlet, and it comes straight out of ancient Greece: “Reason at all Cost: The Defining Human Quality in Epictetus’ Discourses.”

I don’t know what Warnagiris wrote about Epictetus, or whether the philosopher has continued to impact his thinking, but in the years since Warnagiris graduated from college, Epictetus, a relatively obscure Stoic philosopher who lived 2,000 years ago, has become a surprise rock star in the strange world of the alt-right.

• Plus1 3

54 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m not sure who rest of your rant was geared toward but I will ask why this doesn’t take place yearly for every officer and soldier who dies whether it be by combat, natural causes or suicide? It would seem to be a great remembrance for those who fought and sacrificed their lives every day.  

we have dec. 7 ceremonies, we have 9-11 ceremonies, and we have jan. 6 ceremonies to remember days our nation was attacked.   we also have memorial day for our soldiers     the 9-11 ceremonies are the closest we have to a first responders ceremony i can think of.    

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

We remember lives lost because of 9-11 every year.  And those ceremonies often mention the responders who lost their lives after the attack due to health concerns that are linked to the day.

The lives lost by suicide that are being mentioned have evidence that links those suicides directly to Jan 6.

The soldiers (police sadly not) are remembered and honored every year on Memorial Day.  My two uncles that both fought in Vietnam lost their lives years after combat.  One to suicide in 1984 and the other finally lost his battle to addiction in the early 2000's.  They are both buried in military cemeteries and have flowers and flags placed on their graves as part of a ceremony.  This isn't isolated to those two cemeteries, I'm sure.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t consider them initially, if they get honored sounds fine to me 

I guess I would have a question then about soldiers and other police officers not getting the same honor since suicide is a leading cause of death in those professions.  Should we have a yearly remembrance at the Capitol for all those who protected our country and died?  I would be for that too.  

So were you slurring your speech when you wrote " I don't think about those people"?   

More likely the truth is you actually meant what you wrote and now you're trying to cover your tracks.  Nobody believes you didn't think about those people. It's in the right wing play book, which you are well versed, to write them off.   Because they died of suicide you think you can spin it that the assault on the Capitol and yesterday's remembrance have been overblown.  The spinning obviously is done out of fear that remembering what happened is sullying your party's reputation.   I mean "nobody died", right?  What's the big deal?

• Plus1 4

The best way for the Republican party to not be associated with it, is to stop acting like they are associated with it.

Stop poo-pooing the damage.  Stop acting like the rioters who died were patriots.  Stop acting like it was a peaceful protest at the Capitol with a couple of crazy folks that got out of hand.

The "Stop the Steal Protest" was peaceful.  It was a Constitutionally guaranteed assembly.  No one can dispute that even if they disagree with the reasoning.  However, what is stopping the GOP from strongly condemning the attack on the Capital?  If you're a Republican and angry that people are associating the party with the actions of a very angry mob, let the leadership know.  At least most Dems came out loud and clear in not supporting the violence and vandalism surrounding the BLM protests.  I'm not sure of any Dem heralding the arsons as heroes, let alone a significant portion of the party.

• Plus1 7
13 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

o were you slurring your speech when you wrote " I don't think about those people"?   

What?!?!  

I was telling the poster that I didn’t initially think about the suicides after.  I was initially thinking about who died in the actual riot.   Then he brought up the suicides after the riot from those who bravely served and I agreed.   

what is your actual problem?  Me agreeing with a poster?  Sorry that inconvenienced you.   

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What?!?!  

I was telling the poster that I didn’t initially think about the suicides after.  I was initially thinking about who died in the actual riot.   Then he brought up the suicides after the riot from those who bravely served and I agreed.   

what is your actual problem?  Me agreeing with a poster?  Sorry that inconvenienced you.   

" I don't think about those people"

Vs.

" I didn't think about those people"

Two completely different meanings.  One is an oversight.  The other?  Well we all know what that meant.  

• Plus1 4
10 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

" I don't think about those people"

Vs.

" I didn't think about those people"

Two completely different meanings.  One is an oversight.  The other?  Well we all know what that meant.  

It could also mean the list is being typed on IPhone in an online forum and spell check got in its way.  As you could clearly see from enough of my other spell check issues @Guy Chamberlincaught one yesterday and had a funny post about it, I don’t reread every word to make sure it’s correct.   

Or you could do what you always try to do.   Insert yourself to try and dunk on someone, which never seems to work out to well.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

What?!?!  

I actually thought that you meant "I DIDN'T think about those people" in your original post.  That's why I followed up.  Thank you for showing me that you are a normal person, and it was just an oversight.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
44 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I actually thought that you meant "I DIDN'T think about those people" in your original post.  That's why I followed up.  Thank you for showing me that you are a normal person, and it was just an oversight.

Thank you for thinking rationally about my post instead of jumping to the worst conclusion like many others here do.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I guess I would have a question then about soldiers and other police officers not getting the same honor since suicide is a leading cause of death in those professions.  Should we have a yearly remembrance at the Capitol for all those who protected our country and died?  I would be for that too.  

I'm pretty sure this is a common occurrence at the Capitol and across the nation. Memorial Day and Veteran's Day are holidays, for example. 

Thank you for thinking rationally about my post instead of jumping to the worst conclusion like many others here do.  

You bring this on yourself. Create a culture of taking everything posted exactly literally, and you'll be a victim of the same culture. Remember the whole, "just to be clear, gerrymandering doesn't impact anyone's right to vote" thing you harped on when we all knew what NM meant? 

• Plus1 6