Insurrection fallout

43 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It actually pisses me off that rural Nebraskans could be duped by Trump and turn into such snowflake weaklings that they think they need a savior like him who has never done a bit of physical labor in his life and has never associated with people like them and most likely detests them and would wash his hand if they shook it. They aren’t supposed to be stupid and they aren’t supposed to be weak and it’s f#&%ing disappointing. My grandpa farmed all his life and he was a bit bigoted but he voted for Obama when he was in his 90s and all of his kids are complete Trump homers. 

This isn't just rural Nebraskans, and, let's be clear, here.

Trump appeals to the inner being of many people, and brings that ugly inner being to the surface of those people.  These people are (and have always been) who they are.  Trump just gives them license, part and parcel to act on their inner self because he does the same thing.

I have an uncle that is like that.  During my mother's funeral, I found out he was supposed to be there, but couldn't because he and the family caught COVID.  When I called to check up on him, he immediately regurgitated the whole "aborted baby fetuses" line to me and talked about using Ivermectin and the same treatments that Trump used (or so he was told).  

One of the smartest dudes I'd ever known.  I spent 45 minutes in tears trying to convince him to not make me have to bury him the same time as my Mother.  Thankfully, he made it through, but still refuses to get vaccinated....strictly because of Trump.

He's not a rural Nebraskan....he's an older, college educated African-American retired AF veteran male living in Alabama.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

45 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

That might be a plan if the schism was nice and tidy geographically but it is not. The last time a civil war tried to divide this country it didn’t fare very well. I get what your saying and even sympathize with it but it can’t happen.

I'm not saying we should start a civil war, I'm simply saying that Red states like to talk about leaving the union, I say we simply let them. 

Furthermore, Democrats should work on passing bills that leave Red states behind. Design welfare bills so states only receive portions equivalent to what they contribute. If their Senators vote against, their states are free from the funding.

If Red states want to be free from burdensome red tape, free them from the shackles of Social Security, Medicare, infrastructure, or other spending. It fulfills their desire to be free from government oversight while simultaneously keeping spending low. Their voters love it so design bills to give them what they want.

Democrats need to stop protecting R voters from themselves. Let them start actually facing the consequences of their voting behavior more than they already do.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm not saying we should start a civil war, I'm simply saying that Red states like to talk about leaving the union, I say we simply let them. 

Furthermore, Democrats should work on passing bills that leave Red states behind. Design welfare bills so states only receive portions equivalent to what they contribute. If their Senators vote against, their states are free from the funding.

If Red states want to be free from burdensome red tape, free them from the shackles of Social Security, Medicare, infrastructure, or other spending. It fulfills their desire to be free from government oversight while simultaneously keeping spending low. Their voters love it so design bills to give them what they want.

Democrats need to stop protecting R voters from themselves. Let them start actually facing the consequences of their voting behavior more than they already do.

You may not be calling for civil war but you are proposing dividing the country. And these R voters who love blabbing about freedom from the gubment don’t really want to forego the benefits, they just don’t want to kick in for providing it to others, and they really don’t like contributing when those others happen to have a different skin tone or speak a different language or worship a different God.  And it presumes democrats or our government can get any legislation passed. If they were capable of doing what you ask, they’d also be capable of much more meaningful things. Like I said, I get what you’re saying but I don’t see it as workable.

• Plus1 3
24 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is it. This is the line. Rs have been able to do whatever they want because Ds attempt to work for the betterment of everyone with their policies when its been clear for the past 15-20 years that Rs only care about staying in power.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

This is it. This is the line. Rs have been able to do whatever they want because Ds attempt to work for the betterment of everyone with their policies when its been clear for the past 15-20 years that Rs only care about staying in power.

Rs aren’t the only ones who care about staying in power. But yeah, lately, the Ds have been much better about attempting to improve things for everyone and the Rs have fought them every step of the way.

IMO the resistance to each others policies began in earnest with dems in congress and GW in the WH. It has gotten exponentially worse with each President since. Obama sent conservative Rs into a frenzy as did Trump with the dems. Thing is, those are not equivalent situations for glaringly obvious reasons.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

David French’s book “Divided We Fall “ outlines similar, albeit fictional, scenarios and the hypothetical results aren’t necessarily good for the world.  It’s an interesting read.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Trump appeals to the inner being of many people, and brings that ugly inner being to the surface of those people.  These people are (and have always been) who they are.  Trump just gives them license, part and parcel to act on their inner self because he does the same thing.

I have an uncle that is like that.  During my mother's funeral, I found out he was supposed to be there, but couldn't because he and the family caught COVID.  When I called to check up on him, he immediately regurgitated the whole "aborted baby fetuses" line to me and talked about using Ivermectin and the same treatments that Trump used (or so he was told).  

One of the smartest dudes I'd ever known.  I spent 45 minutes in tears trying to convince him to not make me have to bury him the same time as my Mother.  Thankfully, he made it through, but still refuses to get vaccinated....strictly because of Trump.

He's not a rural Nebraskan....he's an older, college educated African-American retired AF veteran male living in Alabama.

Ya… I know. I was specifically pissed off at that portion of the population being duped by him because I’m from Nebraska and know a lot of farmers. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, whateveritis1224 said:

This is a gross oversimplification that is way, way, way too generous to the Democrats, who aren't equally as corrupted and self-serving as the right wing leaders, but are still plenty poisonous in their own regards.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree and anyone who is convinced of Trump’s actions probably agrees but there is still a good portion of this country who believes Trump and blames Cheney for the “witch hunt”. I’m just not convinced she can find the requisite party support that is required to run.

I had a guy tell me just this morning that “maybe the election wasn’t stolen but I still think there was something wrong with it and there were shenanigans with the count”. Another guy just a few days ago referenced “that b!^@h up in Wyoming” referring to Cheney. Granted both of these guys are strongly in the MAGA camp…..but so are way too many others. Facts and truth aren’t about to sway many of these folks.

I read that trump support is dropping like flies. Maybe more people are waking up and want to move on 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

This is a gross oversimplification that is way, way, way too generous to the Democrats, who aren't equally as corrupted and self-serving as the right wing leaders, but are still plenty poisonous in their own regards.

Let's not act like Democrats - often promoting annoying policies like 'Latinx', mediocre solutions to the homeless in California, or strange 'social justice' initiatives designed for virtue more than substance - is even remotely similar to the Republican party destroying a 250 year old Liberal Democracy so they can institute white nationalism via the Judiciary and pass tax cuts for the wealthy. They aren't close.

But hey, if you can point to the Democrats and their attempts to overthrow an election, point to a time when their states sued the government to prevent free healthcare funding for their citizens leading to untold harm to thousands, or manufactured distrust about COVID leading to the unnecessary deaths of a few hundred thousand people, I might be inclined to agree with you. 

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

David French’s book “Divided We Fall “ outlines similar, albeit fictional, scenarios and the hypothetical results aren’t necessarily good for the world.  It’s an interesting read.  

The current Republican version of America is bad for the world - global warming, nation building, torturing citizens of other countries after invading them for no reason, the list goes on.

Domestically they lead to this. Warning: this is graphic video released by the Austin-Statesman concerning the Uvalde school shooting. The weapon you hear was legally purchased.

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

You may not be calling for civil war but you are proposing dividing the country. And these R voters who love blabbing about freedom from the gubment don’t really want to forego the benefits, they just don’t want to kick in for providing it to others, and they really don’t like contributing when those others happen to have a different skin tone or speak a different language or worship a different God.  And it presumes democrats or our government can get any legislation passed. If they were capable of doing what you ask, they’d also be capable of much more meaningful things. Like I said, I get what you’re saying but I don’t see it as workable.

Like I said,  Democrats protect them from their own stupidity. After actually paying for the consequences of their vote by becoming poorer, sicker, putting up with crumbling infrastructure and economic calamity, they can vote for somebody else. 

If they'd rather remain in those circumstances because big Gubmint is oppressive or Critical Race Theory is so terrifying, let them remain in their situation. 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Let's not act like Democrats - often promoting annoying policies like 'Latinx', mediocre solutions to the homeless in California, or strange 'social justice' initiatives designed for virtue more than substance - is even remotely similar to the Republican party destroying a 250 year old Liberal Democracy so they can institute white nationalism via the Judiciary and pass tax cuts for the wealthy. They aren't close.

But hey, if you can point to the Democrats and their attempts to overthrow an election, point to a time when their states sued the government to prevent free healthcare funding for their citizens leading to untold harm to thousands, or manufactured distrust about COVID leading to the unnecessary deaths of a few hundred thousand people, I might be inclined to agree with you. 

Don't know why you're saying this in reference to me, as I'm not acting like those are similar and don't disagree with anything you just claimed, nor can point to any of the things you asked me to because they don't exist.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I read that trump support is dropping like flies. Maybe more people are waking up and want to move on 

If all we get out of the select committee is that it erodes Trump’s support to the point he can’t be elected, they will have done their job. Jail would just be topping on the cake.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Don't know why you're saying this in reference to me, as I'm not acting like those are similar and don't disagree with anything you just claimed, nor can point to any of the things you asked me to because they don't exist.

My apologies, I misunderstood the quoted post and it's clear what you meant after re-reading it.

13 hours ago, alexhortdog95 said:

This is absolutely true.  Insecure, paranoid, weak, selfish individuals.   

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1