Trump Impeachment # 2

1 minute ago, commando said:

FWIW....they are giving trump the opportunity to quit before monday and save us all the turmoil of another impeachment.    if he doesn't quit they will start the impeachment process.

Possibly, but they can also take it a little more seriously and put in a few extra hours to vote and submit the articles of impeachment NOW, and Trump can still resign over the weekend if the mood strikes him.

The more time passes, the less worthwhile this process will be, and now we have to sit around Saturday and Sunday with Trump still holding the steering wheel.

4 minutes ago, commando said:

FWIW....they are giving trump the opportunity to quit before monday and save us all the turmoil of another impeachment.    if he doesn't quit they will start the impeachment process.

He needs to be impeached even if he quits so he can't run again.

I'm already fearing Don Jr. though. Hopefully he gets charged with someone.

On a related note can a felon run for president?

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, commando said:

It's like they've learned nothing over the past 4 years. Trump is going to do something insane over the weekend like pardon himself, and as Moiraine says, they need to prevent him from ever holding office again.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

He needs to be impeached even if he quits so he can't run again.

For history sake as well.  He should be left off the hook that easy.    I also say impeach him quickly so he doesn't have time to pardon all of his friends and familly

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

Possibly, but they can also take it a little more seriously and put in a few extra hours to vote and submit the articles of impeachment NOW, and Trump can still resign over the weekend if the mood strikes him.

The more time passes, the less worthwhile this process will be, and now we have to sit around Saturday and Sunday with Trump still holding the steering wheel.

the impeachment process will also let trumps supporters voice their support and gives the trumpers another rallying point.    trump quitting might be the only way to possibly have a peaceful seperation.  him showing weakness will go a long ways towards a lot of his most hardcore supporters losing interest in him.

2 minutes ago, commando said:

the impeachment process will also let trumps supporters voice their support and gives the trumpers another rallying point.    trump quitting might be the only way to possibly have a peaceful seperation.  him showing weakness will go a long ways towards a lot of his most hardcore supporters losing interest in him.

Peaceful separation is no longer possible as the peace has been broken already. Showing weakness by not forcing Trump out is just going to give Trump another chance to do something insane. How many times do we have to hear Trump is changing his tone or he's going to do the right thing before we realize he isn't and he won't?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think a felon can even vote, let alone run for president.

Felons can't vote but I'm pretty positive there is nothing barring a felon from being President. This question was posed a few years ago I believe and I'm pretty sure the answer is a felon can be President. At least there is no language prohibiting it. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Felons can't vote but I'm pretty positive there is nothing barring a felon from being President. This question was posed a few years ago I believe and I'm pretty sure the answer is a felon can be President. At least there is no language prohibiting it. 

If there were actual qualifications for being president, other than being 35 and a citizen, we might not be in this mess in the first place. A guy with Trump's public record would be ineligible for literally any other job.

• Plus1 3

36 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Thanks for the clarification

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Calling it now. He'll be impeached again, but not removed. They're still too vague to really hem the GOP in. There needs to be more than just incitement.

there is video evidence of him inciting the riot.   i believe that should be enough.    and there are at least some republicans who will go along this time.   it should be unanimous but lets get the names down of the congressmen who still support the treason weasel.

Funny how all of these GOP senators all of  a sudden 'got religion' now that one cannot hide behind trump's coat tail.  If they had acted a year ago...

https://www.adn.com/politics/2021/01/08/alaska-sen-lisa-murkowski-calls-on-president-trump-to-resign-questions-her-future-as-a-republican/

U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski said Friday that Donald Trump should resign the presidency immediately and that if the Republican Party cannot separate itself from Trump, she isn’t certain she has a future with the party.

“I want him to resign. I want him out. He has caused enough damage,” Murkowski, R-Alaska, said during an interview from her small Capitol office, steps away from the Senate chambers that were invaded by pro-Trump rioters on Wednesday.

“I think he should leave. He said he’s not going to show up. He’s not going to appear at the inauguration. He hasn’t been focused on what is going on with COVID. He’s either been golfing or he’s been inside the Oval Office fuming and throwing every single person who has been loyal and faithful to him under the bus, starting with the vice president. He doesn’t want to stay there. He only wants to stay there for the title. He only wants to stay there for his ego. He needs to get out. He needs to do the good thing, but I don’t think he’s capable of doing a good thing,” she said.

Trump to blame for riot, Murkowski says

Murkowski said that while “there may have been many, many, many, many good Americans who came to Washington, D.C., because they felt strongly in support of this president,” Trump incited them to storm the Capitol after a speech near the Washington Monument.

Even before Election Day, the president refused to say whether he would accept the election results, Murkowski said, and then tried to overturn the results

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1