Trump Impeachment # 2

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t know from a legal standpoint and wouldn’t want to throw out a guess. I’m sure it would throw 10 other people on here into a rage coming from me (not you included).  

I will just say IMO, there was no incitement that hasn’t gone past what other politicians have said in the past.  And the part of this that got me most sideways with Trump was him not doing everything he could immediately to stop the riot behavior once it started.  Whether that was calling in the guard ASAP, physically going down there asking people to stop, tweeting forceful messages asking people to stop.  

He didn’t do that because he didn’t want it to stop. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Scarlet said:

This impeachment and the previous one just green lighted for any future wannabe despot that the oath to uphold the Constitution is just lip service and there is no recourse for violating that oath.  It means inciting an insurrection with the intent to overtime a free and fair election has the same consequences as getting a blowjob underneath the Oval Office desk.  Well done America.  :facepalm:

8 hours ago, commando said:

the republicans have established precedent.   inciting violence is not a crime apparently.

You need to direct your opinions to the Democrat DOJ.  If you really think that Trump incited a riot then you believe that Biden is allowing a famous criminal to get off scott free. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

What do you think our elected officials should've done differently? (sorry if you've answered this elsewhere before)

Impeachment itself viewed under this lens will almost always be a 'mistake' because neither R's or D's will likely ever concede enough to convict a POTUS from their party.

If the charges cannot sway a significant portion of the minority party then it wasn't that bad to begin with.  And I opine that if the charges really are that bad then neither party wants to admit it really happened. 

Congress already has plenty of checks and balances on the Executive, such as the power of the purse, the power to make laws, declare war etc.

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

You need to direct your opinions to the Democrat DOJ.  If you really think that Trump incited a riot then you believe that Biden is allowing a famous criminal to get off scott free. 

That a boy. Absolve your team of any responsibility to uphold their oath to the Constitution and shift the responsibility to the other team.  Go team!!!  You do know you're expressing a less than middle school understanding of how the system works, or doesn't work as the case may be, right?

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

If the charges cannot sway a significant portion of the minority party then it wasn't that bad to begin with.  And I opine that if the charges really are that bad then neither party wants to admit it really happened. 

Congress already has plenty of checks and balances on the Executive, such as the power of the purse, the power to make laws, declare war etc.

The only reason the republicans weren’t “swayed” is because of party politics.  Nothing else.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The only reason the republicans weren’t “swayed” is because of party politics.  Nothing else.  

no matter what trump ever says...his defenders say "he didn't say that".    it's a perfect defense.    whenever any republican complains about something a dem said that has them angry....i will just counter "that's not what he said"   or the old tried and true "that's not what he/she meant".   it was the gold standard for trump.....now that the precedent has been set it will go for the dems also unless the republiqans are total hypocrites....oops....they are.  moscow mitch proved that by voting to acquit then immediately afterward saying trump was guilty.  

16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I will just say IMO, there was no incitement that hasn’t gone past what other politicians have said in the past.  And the part of this that got me most sideways with Trump was him not doing everything he could immediately to stop the riot behavior once it started.  Whether that was calling in the guard ASAP, physically going down there asking people to stop, tweeting forceful messages asking people to stop.  

Sideways?

I think you missed the part where Donald Trump was gleeful  that the mob had attacked the Capitol and disrupted the Electoral certification. The mob was loyal to him in a way his own vice-president wasn't.  They accomplished exactly what he asked them to accomplish, and his exact words after they had literally s#!t on the floor of the United States Capitol, beaten a policeman with an American flag, and threatened to kill Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi was "you're very special. We love you." 

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, SECHusker said:

How do you know it wasn't trumpers upset that he was incompetent?

Getting hard to tell anymore. Just read about the violent threats against Arizona Republican lawmakers and their families by angry Trump loyalists who think they caved by following the law,  No doubt plenty of Republicans will use whatever numbers they need to thwart whatever Dems propose, but there's no doubt some of our elected Republicans are physically afraid of their own voters.

Yeah, there's angry internet chatter and public outbursts on both sides of the spectrum, but only one side prides itself on its well-armed un-regulated militia, and its unapologetic white supremacism. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

San Fran NAN has every right to be mad at Moscow Mitch. He blocked the trial until after the criminal was out of office and use that as a pretext to vote not guilty   I agree he is a scum bag. A coward as Nancy said. 

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/cowardly-pelosi-crashes-dem-presser-to-blast-mcconnell-for-speech-justifying-vote-to-acquit-trump/

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t know from a legal standpoint and wouldn’t want to throw out a guess. I’m sure it would throw 10 other people on here into a rage coming from me (not you included).  

That's kind of the rub for me, personally, I don't necessarily know what a better specific crime they would've charged him with. If you take into account all the lie-spreading, rumor-mongering and general unsteadiness that he injected into the country following the election, capped off by the Jan. 6 rally, what he said and the events that unfolded thereafter, I think it's hard to say he's not the most responsible person for what happened. Therefore, inciting violence against the federal government seems to fit.

I'm not a fan of hyperbole, but I've never seen or read about a U.S. president behaving in the way he did following a lost election. And he never once seemed to care about the impact his words were having on people. It felt grossly irresponsible while it was happening, and even now, it all feels likes a festering wound.

I don't know. The American people deserve better than what we've seen from our elected officials over these last several months.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

San Fran NAN has every right to be mad at Moscow Mitch. He blocked the trial until after the criminal was out of office and use that as a pretext to vote not guilty   I agree he is a scum bag. A coward as Nancy said. 

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/cowardly-pelosi-crashes-dem-presser-to-blast-mcconnell-for-speech-justifying-vote-to-acquit-trump/

Have to admit...I didn’t like Mitch before this...but this is even lower than I ever dreamed he would go.  What an absolute scum bag.  

He said Trump wasn’t doing his job, which I agree. But sorry Mitch. You didn’t do your job either.  

Pathetic.  

• Haha 1