Trump Impeachment # 2

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

He blocked the trial until after the criminal was out of office and use that as a pretext to vote not guilty

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/25/960130551/house-poised-to-transmit-article-of-impeachment-against-trump-to-senate

How do you suppose he blocked a trial when the House didn’t even deliver the Article until Jan 25th?  
San Fran Nan is just crying like a baby that she lost another trial and is trying to put the blame all on someone who only carries one vote and is not even in charge of the Senate. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/25/960130551/house-poised-to-transmit-article-of-impeachment-against-trump-to-senate

How do you suppose he blocked a trial when the House didn’t even deliver the Article until Jan 25th?  
San Fran Nan is just crying like a baby that she lost another trial and is trying to put the blame all on someone who only carries one vote and is not even in charge of the Senate. 

Not accurate.  

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/mcconnell-rejects-emergency-session-for-trial

"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday blocked a quick Senate impeachment trial for President Donald Trump but did not rule out that he might eventually vote to convict the now twice-impeached president .

Minutes after the House voted 232-197 to impeach Trump, McConnell suggested in a statement that Trump’s Senate trial will not start before Jan. 19, the chamber’s next scheduled business day. It’s also the day before Democrat Joe Biden is inaugurated as president and about the time Democrats take over majority control of the Senate. The timetable essentially means McConnell is dropping the trial into Democrats’ laps."

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Not accurate.  

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/mcconnell-rejects-emergency-session-for-trial

"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday blocked a quick Senate impeachment trial for President Donald Trump but did not rule out that he might eventually vote to convict the now twice-impeached president .

Minutes after the House voted 232-197 to impeach Trump, McConnell suggested in a statement that Trump’s Senate trial will not start before Jan. 19, the chamber’s next scheduled business day. It’s also the day before Democrat Joe Biden is inaugurated as president and about the time Democrats take over majority control of the Senate. The timetable essentially means McConnell is dropping the trial into Democrats’ laps."

When did the Article make it over to the Senate?  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

When did the Article make it over to the Senate?  

Because McConnell had already made it perfectly clear that he was not going to begin the trial before the 20th.  At that point getting it over to the Senate wasn't going to change McConnell sitting on it until after the 20th.  Personality, I would have moved it over in anticipation of this very argument but it wouldn't have mattered.

12 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Because McConnell had already made it perfectly clear that he was not going to begin the trial before the 20th.  At that point getting it over to the Senate wasn't going to change McConnell sitting on it until after the 20th.  Personality, I would have moved it over in anticipation of this very argument but it wouldn't have mattered.

So that sounds like a House Decision problem and not a Senate Decision problem.  House delayed everything.  

Now, also consider when the Impeachment took place in the House.  

How do you suppose the Senate could schedule the trial, get the Rules of the trial together, then allow the Managers and Defense sufficient time to prepare for the trial all in under 7 days if the Article would have been brought over on the day of the actual Impeachment.  

The schedule is not a Mitch McConnell or Republican problem.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Are you kidding me?  Party politics at its best. 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The only reason the republicans weren’t “swayed” is because of party politics.  Nothing else.  

Politics is the only reason 57 Senators voted for a false crime without jurisdiction.  

Because no one is answering my question; the reasons that the Biden DOJ will not arrest private citizen Trump for inciting a riot are: they would be thrown out of court, and sued for violating Trump's civil rights.  Even the law professors who ran cover for the Impeachment know it. 

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

That's kind of the rub for me, personally, I don't necessarily know what a better specific crime they would've charged him with. If you take into account all the lie-spreading, rumor-mongering and general unsteadiness that he injected into the country following the election, capped off by the Jan. 6 rally, what he said and the events that unfolded thereafter, I think it's hard to say he's not the most responsible person for what happened. Therefore, inciting violence against the federal government seems to fit.

I'm not a fan of hyperbole, but I've never seen or read about a U.S. president behaving in the way he did following a lost election. And he never once seemed to care about the impact his words were having on people. It felt grossly irresponsible while it was happening, and even now, it all feels likes a festering wound.

I don't know. The American people deserve better than what we've seen from our elected officials over these last several months.

Political malfeasance is tried in the court of public opinion.  If you don't like what Trump did in 2016-2020 you oppose his 2024 campaign.  Using the legal system to prosecute political differences will make the USA into a 3rd World banana republic.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Ahem; they rushed the Impeachment trial without time for investigation and reflection.  Their mistake was not waiting until tempers had cooled off. That way they could have had a real discussion on Do we really want the American public saying that political diatribes are criminal?

investigation?   they were witnesses.   they were all there.   

2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Politics is the only reason 57 Senators voted for a false crime without jurisdiction.  

Because no one is answering my question; the reasons that the Biden DOJ will not arrest private citizen Trump for inciting a riot are: they would be thrown out of court, and sued for violating Trump's civil rights.  Even the law professors who ran cover for the Impeachment know it. 

Political malfeasance is tried in the court of public opinion.  If you don't like what Trump did in 2016-2020 you oppose his 2024 campaign.  Using the legal system to prosecute political differences will make the USA into a 3rd World banana republic.

You are amazing.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Ahem; they rushed the Impeachment trial without time for investigation and reflection.  Their mistake was not waiting until tempers had cooled off. That way they could have had a real discussion on Do we really want the American public saying that political diatribes are criminal?

Wait....I thought it was unconstitutional because he’s out of office. How could they have done more investigating?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

They could have investigated the words of the Constitution. Many Senators sound as though they haven't actually looked at it in the last 40 years.

Just because you don’t like your dear leader being impeached doesn’t mean they don’t know the constitution.  

And, I didn’t ask what they should have investigated. I was asking when would have they done it?