Trump Impeachment # 2

Just now, knapplc said:

You. You're saying the Democrats impeached trump to "get their asterisk." 

Isn't it likely, with the evidence of trump's own words, that the Republicans all voted to save trump's a$$ because of party politics?

I've actually stated before many Republicans are more than ready to wash their hands of Trump and the vote verified that.

I say the Democrats got their asterisk because this stems from the Democrats.  They aren't working with Republicans on this.  If they had, maybe they'd actually get something done and it would've been more than an asterisk.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

I've actually stated before many Republicans are more than ready to wash their hands of Trump and the vote verified that.

I say the Democrats got their asterisk because this stems from the Democrats.  They aren't working with Republicans on this.  If they had, maybe they'd actually get something done and it would've been more than an asterisk.

What efforts did Republicans make to help? The insurrectionists killed a Capitol Police Officer. That seems like an "all hands on deck" emergency that both parties would want to work on. 

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

Partisan politics means that it is extremely unlikely Republicans will actually try to work with Democrats on anything. The same is true the other way around. Voters cannot stand compromise. 

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What efforts did Republicans make to help? The insurrectionists killed a Capitol Police Officer. That seems like an "all hands on deck" emergency that both parties would want to work on. 

I was referring to the vote, because you were insinuating that I was insinuating only Democrats wanted to Impeach him.

Unlike a a lot of folks I know I'm not a fan of the Capitol riot.  I wasn't a fan of any riot that happened last year.  Violence is Violence and it's unjustified in most cases.  This was certainly one of them.  I'm not going to do mental gymnastics to defend anything like you seemingly want me to here.  Both parties should work on a lot of things!  Now you're getting it!

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Partisan politics means that it is extremely unlikely Republicans will actually try to work with Democrats on anything. The same is true the other way around. Voters cannot stand compromise. 

Neither side really wants compromise.  Nobody wants to sort things out because their jobs depend on turmoil and conflicts.  Fixing things would be eliminating their reason to have a position.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

I was referring to the vote, because you were insinuating that I was insinuating only Democrats wanted to Impeach him.

Unlike a a lot of folks I know I'm not a fan of the Capitol riot.  I wasn't a fan of any riot that happened last year.  Violence is Violence and it's unjustified in most cases.  This was certainly one of them.  I'm not going to do mental gymnastics to defend anything like you seemingly want me to here.  Both parties should work on a lot of things!  Now you're getting it!

I'm asking you to state in plain English your position on the matter. You've already said trump isn't guilty of inciting the riot, in spite of all the evidence against him. Now you're saying the Democrats did something wrong in not working with Republicans, and I'm simply asking you to have a good-faith conversation and show what efforts the Republicans made to fully investigate a riot in which a police officer was killed. It's a simple question that doesn't require mental gymnastics.

• Haha 1
Just now, Redux said:

Neither side really wants compromise.  Nobody wants to sort things out because their jobs depend on turmoil and conflicts.  Fixing things would be eliminating their reason to have a position.

Not really. The reality is that politicians, usually, vote in ways their constituents want them to.

The base of the GOP does not want compromise, so we don't get it. Same with Democrats.

Now, I will say, that the base of the Republican party does not live in reality. Democrats are often annoying, but there is no compromise to be had on Climate Change, race relations, pandemic response, etc. The GOP has concluded that the real problems facing this country are best ignored, pretend it does not exist. Those problems simply get worse.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm asking you to state in plain English your position on the matter. You've already said trump isn't guilty of inciting the riot, in spite of all the evidence against him. Now you're saying the Democrats did something wrong in not working with Republicans, and I'm simply asking you to have a good-faith conversation and show what efforts the Republicans made to fully investigate a riot in which a police officer was killed. It's a simple question that doesn't require mental gymnastics.

I actually went into detail already about this but you seemingly only read one sentence.  Please, don't do that.  You know what you're doing making the bad faith accusation.  I clearly gave my opinion on the matter, you are welcome to go back and read it.  I invited you to disagree with it but instead you quoted one sentence and dropped a big smiley.  That's fine, but if anything that is a bad faith conversation.

Verbatim, the evidence wasn't strong enough to convict.  Therefore he was acquitted.  Personally I think the Dems did another poor job of Impeachment.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Not really. The reality is that politicians, usually, vote in ways their constituents want them to.

I may be in the minority, but I've never voted for a politician expecting them to do what I want them to do. I vote on who I think the best person for the job is. Whether that's a Democrat, Republican or Independent, at some point, they're not going to agree with me on something. And I'm trusting them to make the best determination they can. It may not always be what I think the answer should be.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
19 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This was meant as a snarky retort equating the Republican response to Hillary Clinton and Benghazi to how they -- and NDJ -- want Dems to back off Trump and move on with their lives. 

My bad. You gotta tell me when you're being snarky and when you're being earnest. 

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

I actually went into detail already about this but you seemingly only read one sentence.  Please, don't do that.  You know what you're doing making the bad faith accusation.  I clearly gave my opinion on the matter, you are welcome to go back and read it.  I invited you to disagree with it but instead you quoted one sentence and dropped a big smiley.  That's fine, but if anything that is a bad faith conversation.

Verbatim, the evidence wasn't strong enough to convict.  Therefore he was acquitted.  Personally I think the Dems did another poor job of Impeachment.  

react_haha.png

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I may be in the minority, but I've never voted for a politician expecting them to do what I want them to do. I vote on who I think the best person for the job is. Whether that's a Democrat, Republican or Independent, at some point, they're not going to agree with me on something. And I'm trusting them to make the best determination they can. It may not always be what I think the answer should be.

...which is how the Founders intended it, for you strict Constitutionalists out there. 

Leading House Democrat sues Donald Trump under a post-Civil War law for conspiracy to incite US Capitol riot

(CNN)Former President Donald Trump and attorney Rudy Giuliani are being accused of conspiring with the far-right groups Proud Boys and Oath Keepers to incite the January 6 insurrection in a civil lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal court by the Democratic chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee that cites a post-Civil War law designed to combat violence and intimidation by the Ku Klux Klan.

The lawsuit, filed by Mississippi Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson in his personal capacity, is the first civil action filed against the former President related to the attack at the US Capitol and comes days after the Senate acquitted Trump in his impeachment trial.

If it proceeds, it would mean the former President and others would be subject to discovery and depositions, potentially exposing details and evidence that weren't released during the Senate impeachment trial.
Thompson points to Trump's words and tweets in the months leading up to the insurrection to accuse Trump and Giuliani of mobilizing and preparing their supporters for an attack to prevent Congress from certifying the 2020 election results on January 6.

The lawsuit cites a scarcely used federal statute passed after the Civil War that was intended to combat violence from the Ku Klux Klan; it allows civil actions to be brought against people who use "force, intimidation, or threat" to prevent anyone from upholding the duties of their office.

It will be interesting to see if the courts decide he has standing to pursue the case. 
  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1