Trump Impeachment # 2

18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Disagree.  People have free will.  The single biggest factor was the people running up to the Capitol and breaking in.  

If the standard is what you put into place then there is gonna be a host of Democrats impeached in 2022 including KH based on their roles in the summer riots and Bernie Sanders based on his incitement for the softball game shooter.  

No....not even close.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Disagree.  People have free will.  The single biggest factor was the people running up to the Capitol and breaking in. 

Where would you rank Trump's culpability in terms of the things he said and did between the election and the riot itself on Jan. 6th? It appears, from your perspective, that rioters would've stormed the Capitol and disrupted the electoral confirmation process even if Trump had gone to Mar-A-Lago on Nov. 7th and not said or done a peep for two months.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but if you truly believe that, I'd be stunned. And if you don't believe that, and you think Trump does own some culpability, then @Guy Chamberlin's comment is pretty on point.

My standard is that if you believe Donald Trump lied about election fraud and leaned on minor state officials to betray their duties in order to keep him office -- as apparently you do -- then you should support his impeachment.  You don't even need January 6 for that.

• Plus1 2

So true.  Moscow Mitch showed no courage by his rumination after the trial.  Courage would have had him announce ahead of the vote that he thought Trump was guilty and encouraged others to vote that way. 

Now the GOP will have to deal with the results of their cowardliness in 2020 and 2024

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Redux said:

Saying yes isn't enough to convict him IMO.  He's the former president, he has a massive constituency and among that are radicals (Undoubtedly the largest amount of radicals of any former president I would think).  They wouldn't have rioted had he not lost or not ever been president.  That alone is not enough to convict him.  His presidency and his loss inspired the radicals to take matters into their own hands.  His words did not make the request.  Punish the radicals, investigate the entire matter, Trump is out of the WH.

So if Trump is responsible for fostering the environment and radicalization that led to the Jan. 6th riot, which it kind of sounds like you agree with to some degree, do you conversely believe he deserves no punishment or reprimand for that? Even though he was the most powerful promoter of the conspiracies and lies which served as the basis for the insurrection?

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

So if Trump is responsible for fostering the environment and radicalization that led to the Jan. 6th riot, which it kind of sounds like you agree with to some degree, do you conversely believe he deserves no punishment or reprimand for that? Even though he was the most powerful promoter of the conspiracies and lies which served as the basis for the insurrection?

You heart is in the right place on this and I don't disagree with it.  But we cannot convict and punish people who did not commit the crime.  Yes he attained a following, that is not a crime.  The following committed the crime, punish them.  And that's what is happening.

If we set the precedent that we can punish individuals based off the actions of others I don't think any of us will like the America we are left with.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Redux said:

You heart is in the right place on this and I don't disagree with it.  But we cannot convict and punish people who did not commit the crime.

Charles Manson says hi.

Your argument falls apart pretty quick when you look at other parts of life.  

A CEO can be prosecuted for certain things someone in his company does even though he/she wasn't the one that did it....as an example.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

You heart is in the right place on this and I don't disagree with it.  But we cannot convict and punish people who did not commit the crime.  Yes he attained a following, that is not a crime.  The following committed the crime, punish them.  And that's what is happening.

If we set the precedent that we can punish individuals based off the actions of others I don't think any of us will like the America we are left with.

@BigRedBuster went down the path I was going to go. There are historical precedents for punishing someone for playing a role in their followers/supporters committing crimes. Charles Manson is one.

I hesitate to bring up the big example of this just because I don't want to go down that road, but we probably know the example I'm thinking of.

People are punished and convicted all the time for playings roles in crimes, even if they weren't the person to pull the trigger, so to speak.

(For the record, I don't want to have a beer with Trump or Manson :D )

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Redux said:

So a mob boss says to his crew "teach em a lesson that they'll never forget or we'll lose it all, and do it nicely". Then a guy who was taught the lesson ends up dead; we shouldn't punish the mob boss for the guy's death even though we know exactly what the boss meant? And we know that these two had been skirmishing for months prior, and that the boss's crew had driven the deceased's car off the road the year prior and the boss praised them publicly for, and that the boss setup a plan to have his crew in the right place at the right time to meet up with deceased at the time of his death.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Redux said:

And since the evidence waa assumption based and open to interpretation, he was acquitted.

How do you justify this take with Mitch McConnell publicly stating that Donald J. Trump was guilty of inciting the Capitol riots, then voting to aquit Trump, then publicly saying he was guilty after.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

So a mob boss says to his crew "teach em a lesson that they'll never forget, and do nicely". Then a guy who was taught the lesson ends up dead; we shouldn't punish the mob boss for the guy's death even though we know exactly what the boss meant? And we know that these two had been skirmishing for months prior, and that the boss's crew had driven the deceased's car off the road the year prior and the boss praised them publicly for, and that the boss setup a plan to have his crew in the right place at the right time to meet up with deceased at the time of his death.

In case you're curious ZRod, here's how to get away with murder.

1) Hire assassin

2) Tell them to "Help you out..." with someone

giphy.gif

3. ???

4. Profit.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1