Huskers Adding FCS All-American WR

Mavric

• Mavric changed the title to Huskers Adding FCS All-American WR

2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I think AM's problem was/is a bad shoulder and confidence.  He was better at the end of the year.  LM?  Not sure he has any accuracy past 2 yards.

I think the Luke as QB experiment is over.  Hopefully, he stays around to play slot or WR or return punts/kickoffs 

• Plus1 1

So do we finally get Manning on the field and at the same time with Toure?   If we can finally get some real play makers on the field that can lengthen the field, it may open up the game for the midrange plays to TE and slot which also in turns helps the running game a lot.  Hopefully AM will be back to his Freshman form as well. The OL should be better.   

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Highlight film showed him making great plays on several well placed long balls.  I wonder how they plan to get him the ball.

My first thought when watching his highlight film full of passes longer than 5 yards downfield was, does that QB have any eligibility left, and if so can this quickly become a package deal plz?

• Plus1 3
On 1/11/2021 at 2:39 PM, TGHusker said:

So do we finally get Manning on the field and at the same time with Toure?   If we can finally get some real play makers on the field that can lengthen the field, it may open up the game for the midrange plays to TE and slot which also in turns helps the running game a lot.  Hopefully AM will be back to his Freshman form as well. The OL should be better.   

There's another element to this that I think has gone unnoticed the last two years.  If we have three legit receivers on the field, we don't have to rotate as many packages and the offense can finally go fast.  They were able to do this to a certain extent at the end of year one when we had Morgan, Spielman, and Ozigbo on the field at the same time.  Granted the play was sloppy, and the culture was weak because of how poorly they were coached under Riley, but at least they had talent on the field.  They could run the entire offense out of that set without having to substitute packages in and out.  In my opinion, that was our biggest problem the last two years on offense.  We were consistently rotating players into packages which led to Wandale playing a ton of RB and replacing him in the slot with lesser talented receivers.  If we can get Allen & Fidone on the field with a consistent stable of receivers for multiple plays in a row, we can start to stress defenses with the speed of the offense and actually create matchups that this offense requires to move the ball.  

This is obviously a false equivalent, but the other night on Davante Smith's last TD in the first half, he was lined up against Tuf Borland and they scored on a quick strike down the middle.  They were able to do that because they had four legit threats at receiver and only one "free" safety.  If it wasn't Smith, it was going to someone else.  That's what I think the lack of talent at WR and RB has prevented the last two years.  We can't get a matchup anywhere and the defense ques on our only good receiver. 

I might be alone in thinking this, but I really think the offense will look more like it did in year one simply because there's going to be more talent on the field which enables Frost & Co. to run their offense they way it was intended.  I'm probably wrong, and the past few years have cemented my doubt, but there's at least a glimmer of optimism with some of these transfer portal opportunites. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1