400 Yards Rushing against a Single Team

With Darren Sproles getting inducted to the CFB Hall-of-Fame, OWH writer Sam McKewon pointed out that Sproles had 458 yards against the Huskers in his career. It made me think about who has gotten over 400 against us and, more importantly, which one of our guys went for more than 400 against a single opponent.

My initial comb through found five six players that accomplished that against Nebraska;

6. Brad Smith (Mizzou): 428

5. Montee Ball (Wisconsin): 446

4. Darren Sproles (Kansas State): 458

3. Billy Sims (Oklahoma): 587

2. Melvin Gordon (Wisconsin): 632

1. Jonathan Taylor (Wisconsin): 674

Nebraska has had at least six players accomplish this feat against ten opponents;

Roy Helu (Mizzou): 406

Ken Clark (Oklahoma State): 424

Ameer Abdullah (Illinois): 433

Eric Crouch (Colorado): 434

Mike Rozier (Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Oklahoma): 587, 584, 499, 462, 405

Calvin Jones (Kansas): 596 Edit: Thanks Husker in WI

Ahman Green (Iowa State, Mizzou): 599, 440

If anybody can think of some other examples, I'd love to add them to the list. There's probably a bunch that I'm forgetting.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, The_Fan_Man said:

With Darren Sproles getting inducted to the CFB Hall-of-Fame, OWH writer Sam McKewon pointed out that Sproles had 458 yards against the Huskers in his career. It made me think about who has gotten over 400 against us and, more importantly, which one of our guys went for more than 400 against a single opponent.

My initial comb through found five players that accomplished that against Nebraska;

5. Brad Smith (Mizzou): 428

4. Darren Sproles (Kansas State): 458

3. Billy Sims (Oklahoma): 587

2. Melvin Gordon (Wisconsin): 632

1. Jonathan Taylor (Wisconsin): 674

Nebraska has had at least six players accomplish this feat against ten opponents;

Roy Helu (Mizzou): 406

Ken Clark (Oklahoma State): 424

Ameer Abdullah (Illinois): 433

Eric Crouch (Colorado): 434

Mike Rozier (Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Colorado): 587, 584, 499, 462

Ahman Green (Iowa State, Mizzou): 599, 440

If anybody can think of some other examples, I'd love to add them to the list. There's probably a bunch that I'm forgetting.

Calvin Jones (Kansas) 596

Man, Brad Smith was frustrating to play against. 

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I don't know why defensive genius Bo had such a hard time wt those jet sweeps. :dunno  Probably not enough play makers wt speed on the edges. 

Also had a mismatch in sheer player size. Cameron Meredith (maybe 280 soaking wet) was forced into a DT spot in that championship game due to some injuries as I recall. I remember watching that game thinking the Wisconsin O-line had dudes that were just simply more wide and bulky than anyone on our defensive line. It was then that I realized that we needed to get some guys that were bigger if we were to hold our own in the league. 

Thankfully, Bo and his staff had figured that out as well. As he adjusted to the Big Ten, they started recruiting bigger guys who more closely matched what the conference demanded. Vincent Valentine & Maliek Collins redshirted that year and there was debate of whether to burn the redshirt or not that late in the year. Thankfully for those players’ careers, they kept the shirts on but those two could have definitely helped take up some space in that title game. Would have been nice to have the new redshirt rule (up to four games) back then and it would not have been as embarrassing I think.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:23 PM, Wistrom Disciple said:

Also had a mismatch in sheer player size. Cameron Meredith (maybe 280 soaking wet) was forced into a DT spot in that championship game due to some injuries as I recall. I remember watching that game thinking the Wisconsin O-line had dudes that were just simply more wide and bulky than anyone on our defensive line. It was then that I realized that we needed to get some guys that were bigger if we were to hold our own in the league. 

Thankfully, Bo and his staff had figured that out as well. As he adjusted to the Big Ten, they started recruiting bigger guys who more closely matched what the conference demanded. Vincent Valentine & Maliek Collins redshirted that year and there was debate of whether to burn the redshirt or not that late in the year. Thankfully for those players’ careers, they kept the shirts on but those two could have definitely helped take up some space in that title game. Would have been nice to have the new redshirt rule (up to four games) back then and it would not have been as embarrassing I think.

Should’ve played Collins and Valentine.  They both left after their junior seasons!