Tom Osborne made the WRONG decision in the 1984 Orange Bowl

He should have kicked it.  Tie the game.  Then kick off and play defense.  End of story.  Period. Exclamation Point.  The End.

Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, Jimbo Fischer, Les Miles, Mac Brown, Bob Stoops -  would have all gone for the Xtra Point.  Six years later, there would be fan grumbling for sure, but the Natty Trophy would still count (with a tie), and it would still be in a glass case on campus (National Champions). 

The outcome 10+ years later? - eh, nobody cares that much. 

Should have been smart enough to kick the extra point.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, admo said:

He should have kicked it.  Tie the game.  Then kick off and play defense.  End of story.  Period. Exclamation Point.  The End.

Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, Jimbo Fischer, Les Miles, Mac Brown, Bob Stoops -  would have all gone for the Xtra Point.  Six years later, there would be fan grumbling for sure, but the Natty Trophy would still count (with a tie), and it would still be in a glass case on campus (National Champions). 

The outcome 10+ years later? - eh, nobody cares that much. 

Should have been smart enough to kick the extra point.

Nope

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I cannot agree with this take, I don't care what reasons you give.  TO did it right.  You go for the win, every single time.

My original post in this thread wasn't the argument of going for the win or not, it was Osborne's methodology and timing of going for two and the win.  I understand with a multi-page thread that most people don't go back to the OP and first few responses.

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My original post in this thread wasn't the argument of going for the win or not, it was Osborne's methodology and timing of going for two and the win.  I understand with a multi-page thread that most people don't go back to the OP and first few responses.

I read yours, I didn't quote because I was not specifically referencing your OP.  It was more directed at the responses. 

• Plus1 1

I remember there was like 48 seconds left on the clock during the two-point conversion attempt. So whether we tied the game 31-31 or led 32-31, Bernie Kosar would have had enough time to complete a long pass down the field and put Miami  into FG range. And our defense that season was at best average if not below that. Thus Miami still would have had a chance to win the game.