Prediction: Changes coming to offensive philosophy this coming season and beyond

uberism

1: We are recruiting bigger bodies at WR and RB the last two classes (2020 and 2021). 

2: Frost has tried the small, quick guys that worked in the Pac 12 but always was stone walled when facing Big Ten (OSU) and SEC defenses. Frost tried his style the last two seasons and it didn't work from the perspective of putting points on the board. 

3: With bigger bodies on the outside you have a bigger catch radius to pass too, better downfield blocking (if the effort and technique are good), and our OL recruits have been bigger and more athletic. 

I suspect what you will see is a bigger emphasis on a downhill running scheme out of the spread offense. More emphasis on using TE's as a mismatch. You can line up with a double TE set and have one or both motion to the slot to go with a big running back and big WR's. That will make it harder for a defense to defend instead of having a small DuckR player being the focal point. The defenses in the Big Ten are too f#&%ing good to run the zone, lateral offenses in the Big Ten. Gotta use the TE's, pass deep to big WR's, and downhill rushing. Then you can use your speedy guys with size on motions, screens, etc. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

Prediction: there won't be much actual change in philosophy, this is more about getting some things in place Frost has wanted all along, but has had trouble recruiting/developing/holding onto.

• Plus1 7

I personally would like to see 2 TE sets more I think with Allen, Fidone , Vokolek and Randal give us better match ups . I also like Betts and hopefully Manning with Martin and Brown . We would definitely pass the eye test with this line up should be able to move people. 

X Betts 6’2 200

Z Manning 6’4 225

Y Allen 6’8 260

W Vokolek 6’6 260/Fidone 6’5 225

Lt Cochoran 6’6 300

LG Piper 6’4 300

C Jurgens 6’3 290

RG Miller  6’6 325

RT Benhart 6’9 330

Qb Martinez 6’2

Rb Stepp 6’0 235

• Fire 2

9 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I’ll summarize the past two years’ philosophy for you:

1. Bubble screen

2. Wandale designated touch

3. QB scramble for first down

*4. Bad snap and/or penalty

5. RB run into defender for three yards

6. Another Wandale touch

7. Throw out of bounds on third and long

8. Punt

*#4 was always a wildcard and could appear at any point in the order. Quite the suspense!

the Jurgens experiment and Frost pipe dream should be over. move him, now, during spring ball.

all plays start with the snap of the ball!!!!

8 hours ago, Otterpop said:

I personally would like to see 2 TE sets more I think with Allen, Fidone , Vokolek and Randal give us better match ups . I also like Betts and hopefully Manning with Martin and Brown . We would definitely pass the eye test with this line up should be able to move people. 

X Betts 6’2 200

Z Manning 6’4 225

Y Allen 6’8 260

W Vokolek 6’6 260/Fidone 6’5 225

Lt Cochoran 6’6 300

LG Piper 6’4 300

C Jurgens 6’3 290

RG Miller  6’6 325

RT Benhart 6’9 330

Qb Martinez 6’2

Rb Stepp 6’0 235

X - Betts and Manning 

Z - Toure and Martin

Y - Allen and Vokolek

R - Brown/Nixon 

or

H - Fidone / Hickmon

I also see Nourelli, Bando, and Hixon battling it out for RG.

• Plus1 1

I hope he adapts the offense as it's pretty clear that whatever it is he's tried to done previously has not worked. I don't think you can honestly pinpoint one specific issue at the offense. It's a hodgepodge of everything - penalties, bad playcalling, not enough talent at WR, etc. The commonality there is certainly Frost but he doesn't drop passes in the endzone or snap the ball 30 feet away from the QB. Frost is allegedly a brilliant x's and o's kinda guy so I would hope to see a shift next season. Time will tell. 

39 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

I hope he adapts the offense as it's pretty clear that whatever it is he's tried to done previously has not worked. I don't think you can honestly pinpoint one specific issue at the offense. It's a hodgepodge of everything - penalties, bad playcalling, not enough talent at WR, etc. The commonality there is certainly Frost but he doesn't drop passes in the endzone or snap the ball 30 feet away from the QB. Frost is allegedly a brilliant x's and o's kinda guy so I would hope to see a shift next season. Time will tell. 

That's been the most frustrating thing, for everyone including Frost. You call a safe zone read first play of the game, you don't plan on your QB deciding 3 seconds too late and 2 yards downfield to swing it out to the bubble option. Our OL plays well for a long stretch, then has a bizarre rash of false starts and holds. A QB decides the right idea on a play with a coverage he didn't expect is to chuck it up to a TE, without noticing the 2 defenders there or really throwing a jump ball. Replaced by a QB who decides he can throw a football through a lineman's head and past good coverage. I know the argument that it all has to be coached up, but it's like playing whack-a-mole with the variety of errors. Based on the re-watches, I have no concerns with the scheme. It will come down to whether experienced guys stop making these mistakes, or if there is in fact something in the coaching style that lends itself to these mistakes - I don't believe that, so I'm optimistic overall.

• Plus1 2