Prediction: Changes coming to offensive philosophy this coming season and beyond

uberism

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In fairness to Offensive Identity, we run an offense very similar to those employed by the most successful teams in football.

We just don't run it very well. 

Yeah, "identity" is another cop-out term that people like to throw about when they don't like the overall results.  We were maybe a little more sporadic this year because of all the injuries at RB.  But I think it's pretty obvious what we like to do.

What would people say Clemson's identity is?  Ohio State's?  Oklahoma's?  I'm guess it would be pretty vague to encompass all that they do.  But they are good so there's not as much to complain about.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

X - Betts and Manning 

Z - Toure and Martin

Y - Allen and Vokolek

R - Brown/Nixon 

or

H - Fidone / Hickmon

I also see Nourelli, Bando, and Hixon battling it out for RG.

Allen should be on the field 85% of time, I think he is a NFL talent.  How many times was he on a route with a 5.10 db covering him?

• Plus1 1

What are we wanting Frost to do? He, like Chip prefers to run the ball. 

2015 Oregon (Frost OC, Lubick WR) - ran the ball 60% of the time and was 6th in the country in rush offense. 

Frost and Lubick grew up in Chip's system. Bubble Screens, PA Pass, Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Zone Read, Power. It's the system they run. I don't really get what people are advocating for, I find it highly unlikely they scrap the system they've both ran their entire careers. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, "identity" is another cop-out term that people like to throw about when they don't like the overall results.  We were maybe a little more sporadic this year because of all the injuries at RB.  But I think it's pretty obvious what we like to do.

What would people say Clemson's identity is?  Ohio State's?  Oklahoma's?  I'm guess it would be pretty vague to encompass all that they do.  But they are good so there's not as much to complain about.

I thought oklahoma was 5th year transfer qb u.

Edited by desertshox
Forgot the qb part

37 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

2015 Oregon (Frost OC, Lubick WR) - ran the ball 60% of the time and was 6th in the country in rush offense. 

Frost and Lubick grew up in Chip's system. Bubble Screens, PA Pass, Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Zone Read, Power. It's the system they run. I don't really get what people are advocating for, I find it highly unlikely they scrap the system they've both ran their entire careers. 

I think people would like him to use the personal that he has and use his strengths. I think on offense TE is our deepest position and speedy WR is our weakest . I could see us running more straight ahead power and Counters . I think we are going to be big up front and at TE be more like Iowa St. offense and less like Oregon of old . 

4 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah, but even Chip Kelly doesn't run the offense at UCLA that he ran at Oregon. The rule changes and a ton of teams that started to run the same concepts made it no longer be a unique offense. Against damn good defenses in the Big Ten you have to adjust to what will work out of the schemes that Frost is comfortable with. 

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In fairness to Offensive Identity, we run an offense very similar to those employed by the most successful teams in football.

This is true, but we also don't have the talent (Particularly at the QB position) that those teams have.  I think with our roster it would make more sense to line up in a more traditional offense at times, especially considering the snap issues we had last year.  I can't help but think we would be more successful that way and it would perhaps limit some of our mistakes.

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Most people,  including the self proclaimed experts didn't understand Osborne's offensive identity.

• Plus1 5

11 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

Most people,  including the self proclaimed experts didn't understand Osborne's offensive identity.

Obviously Osborne ran a scheme that only a handful of teams employed, and borrowed its basics from Barry Switzer, but if you wanted an identity for Nebraska's offense and defense, it started with treating your down linemen as skill players. And with those guys in place, every other skill player was going to look a lot better. 

Nebraska won in the trenches. That was its identity.

• Plus1 1
On 1/13/2021 at 11:46 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's exactly what I see. I saw plays in the championship game that we run and they went for big gains. We run them and we get stuffed.