Prediction: Changes coming to offensive philosophy this coming season and beyond

uberism

On 1/13/2021 at 1:06 PM, FrantzHardySwag said:

What are we wanting Frost to do? He, like Chip prefers to run the ball. 

2015 Oregon (Frost OC, Lubick WR) - ran the ball 60% of the time and was 6th in the country in rush offense. 

Frost and Lubick grew up in Chip's system. Bubble Screens, PA Pass, Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Zone Read, Power. It's the system they run. I don't really get what people are advocating for, I find it highly unlikely they scrap the system they've both ran their entire careers. 

Maybe not scrap it completely, but it absolutely needs to evolve, as so far, in 3 years, it hasn't made any sort of a dent in the Big Ten. 

2 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Why are so many of our fans obsessed with getting our coach to stop doing the thing he's best at. He's regarded as one of the best playcallers in cfb by people who know what they're talking about. We should want him to call plays!

Personally I am fine with him calling plays. What I am not fine with is him completely ignoring everything else during games and missing things. If he would hire a ST coordinator to have a head person on the field during games for each of the 3 phases, he can focus on the offense still in games I think.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

Why are so many of our fans obsessed with getting our coach to stop doing the thing he's best at. He's regarded as one of the best playcallers in cfb by people who know what they're talking about. We should want him to call plays!

the way it is going now, it's simply not working.

1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

Good question.  I do think there needs to be some refinement in the redzone and scale down the horizontal play calls for more vertical aligned attacked.

That being said, there were countless times last year guys were open by play design and it just didn't pan out due to various reasons well documented here that doesn't need a rehash (erratic qb play, erratic OL composure, young WR corp)

To me, its 80% refining the current personnel and getting the right playmakers in here and 20% adjustment of offensive philosophy... I'm not buying Frosts style can't work int he big10, it worked just fine his first year with minimal prep time. 

The day we see frost give up offesnive play calling and its not for a major well known coordinator, is the day we know frost is out the door

• Plus1 4

46 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

the way it is going now, it's simply not working.

I'm not disputing that we need to do something different with gameday special teams. But that doesn't mean Frost needs to be the guy in the huddle telling them which kickoff coverage to run or whatever. We didn't hire Frost to be a CEO coach; we hired him because he is a great offensive mind and that's what we should want him to be spending a majority of his time working on. He should be directing big-picture stuff with defense and special teams during the week, but he doesn't need to be involved with their minutiae on gameday and should be delegating that to competent assistants. Special teams need better organization/assistant performance on gameday, not a head coach sacrificing his best skill to make a performative point. Mecole drops a punt every week but Chiefs fans aren't like, "I think Andy Reid should stop calling plays and go tell the punt returner to make sure he catches the ball." You hire head coaches for specific attributes and you should want them utilizing those attributes as much as they possibly can.

I hate the ads on this forum. They f#&%ing suck. 

Having said that, Frost Calling plays isn’t the problem. Some situational stuff he can get better at, but Nebraska moves the ball. People calling for him to give it up probly never even coached little league. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
On 1/15/2021 at 9:54 AM, J-MAGIC said:

Well, his record is 12-20. Pretty much nothing Frost has done as coach here has worked.