The GOP Obstruction to The Biden Agenda

Ok we know it is coming. The GOP will try to derail the Biden goals as another way to overturn the election. Let this thread be a depository of those efforts. 

item # 1 I give the following example 

Just for laughs and grins :laughpound

l decided to see what newsmax was talking about  Ga rep Taylor to issue impeachment articles against Biden January 21

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/1005516/16

• TGHusker changed the title to The GOP Obstruction to The Biden Agenda

I think it could be fun being on the #resist side of things for four years.  Seems like the Dems had a good time resisting the current Admin on almost every item.  Didn’t work with them on much of anything.  Stoking fear about the policies and EO’s.  

If Dems want to reach out and meet in the middle with good policy, sure!  Otherwise, #RESIST:horns2.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

And this is different than and four year period in the last 20 years how exactly?  

In 2009 the GOP went to great lengths to obstruct everything Obama was trying to do at the time.  Personally, at the time, I was all for it.  But since then, I can see how it only increased the political divide.  Prior to that, the Dems found every opportunity to obstruct what GWB was doing - and in retrospection, I wish they would have been more successful.  We didn't need to be fighting 2 wars or paying for a tax cut while fighting 2 wars and running up the debt.

So now with a 50/50 Senate, the GOP has a fork in the road ahead of them.  Do they play the role of an obstructionist while Biden tries to bring the country together after a disastrous Trump term or do they stop the rank partisanship and find ways to rebuild this fractured country with Biden?

This thread will provide opportunity to document which side of the fork they take.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Do they play the role of an obstructionist while Biden tries to bring the country together

Big assumption that Biden will try and bring us together.  He was #2 in the eight years of the Divider in Chiefs Presidency.  History points to him doing more of the same.  Just look at his cabinet picks.  It’s Obama 2.0. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think it could be fun being on the #resist side of things for four years.  Seems like the Dems had a good time resisting the current Admin on almost every item.  Didn’t work with them on much of anything.  Stoking fear about the policies and EO’s.  

If Dems want to reach out and meet in the middle with good policy, sure!  Otherwise, #RESIST:horns2.  

I didn't really start paying super close attention to politics until 2006, but I feel like whichever party loses the presidency effectively becomes the '#resist' party by default. Many of our elected officials act like abhorrent, petulant children on a good day. And from what I've read, there are persistent and constant efforts made in our federal government to not only keep Ds and Rs separate from each other... but ensure that they do what's best for "the party."

52 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Big assumption that Biden will try and bring us together.  He was #2 in the eight years of the Divider in Chiefs Presidency.  History points to him doing more of the same.  Just look at his cabinet picks.  It’s Obama 2.0. 

I am beginning to think not for these reasons:

1.  His cabinet picks are more moderate than anticipated  (yes - not GOP moderate - they are not as extreme as Obama's) He did not go full bore progressive as many in his party and many on this forum wanted him to go with his cabinet picks.

2. The times are different - much different.  He has to deal with an equally divided Senate.   He isn't coming in on the hubris as the 2nd coming of Christ standing in front of the Parthenon  stating that he is going to stop sea levels from rising, yada yada like Obama did.  His attitude is considerably different.

3.  He's worked with the majority of the GOP senators personally and knows them well.  He isn't going to rub it into their face like Obama did to McCain and others.

With that said:

He is the president and his party will have control of the Congress and he has the right to move forward his agenda.  He doesn't have to give into GOP demands - the GOP has a weakened hand at this point.  As said before, elections have consequences.  I know I won't agree with much in his agenda and the GOP can act as the 'loyal opposition' but now isn't the time for obstructionism for obstruction's own sake just out of purely partisan political reasons.

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I am beginning to think not for these reasons:

1.  His cabinet picks are more moderate than anticipated  (yes - not GOP moderate - they are not as extreme as Obama's) He did not go full bore progressive as many in his party and many on this forum wanted him to go with his cabinet picks.

2. The times are different - much different.  He has to deal with an equally divided Senate.   He isn't coming in on the hubris as the 2nd coming of Christ standing in front of the Parthenon  stating that he is going to stop sea levels from rising, yada yada like Obama did.  His attitude is considerably different.

3.  He's worked with the majority of the GOP senators personally and knows them well.  He isn't going to rub it into their face like Obama did to McCain and others.

With that said:

He is the president and his party will have control of the Congress and he has the right to move forward his agenda.  He doesn't have to give into GOP demands - the GOP has a weakened hand at this point.  As said before, elections have consequences.  I know I won't agree with much in his agenda and the GOP can act as the 'loyal opposition' but now isn't the time for obstructionism for obstruction's own sake just out of purely partisan political reasons.

It would be great if Biden Admin could find common cause with R’s on a few issue’s (infrastructure, Vaccine roll-out for example) and get some things accomplished to promote unity this first 12-18 months.  Then see where that leads us.  
R’s should vote to approve Biden’s Cabinet picks to show Dems how not to be petulant.  He won, he should get to work with who he wants if they are legally allowed.  
R’s should vote against every Supreme Court nomination and make a big spectacle out of it to show Dems how awful they looked during the Trump nomination pick process.  Maybe then we can get to some semblance of order in the future for Supreme Court picks. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO.....gasp.....breath.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOPLOLOLOLOLOL

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, commando said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO.....gasp.....breath.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOPLOLOLOLOLOL

Not sure what is so funny? I personally don't call Obama the Divider in Chief, but have heard it. Is that why you're laughing? 

Surely not in response to the cabinet selection reference?