The Death of the Duck-R Position

BIG ERN

I get not all of these guys were recruited to specifically be the duck-r but we were told these smaller shifty WRs would make this offense go. 

Tyjon Lindsey - transfer 

Miles Jones - transfer

Jaron Woodyard - transfer 

Mike Williams - transfer 

JD Spielman - transfer 

Marcus Fleming - transfer 

Wandale Robinson - transfer

*Class of 21' - no WR under 6'2 

Time to run the power spread Mr. Frost -- and I think you have figured that out with bigger WR, TE, RB. Let's turn this program around. 

#GBR

Yep. Those smaller, speed guys could work in the Pac 12 and AAC, but not in the Big Ten. Even Rondale Moore, as damn good as he was as a freshman, started to get figured out by his 3rd year. 

I think Frost has learned that the hard way. Big TE's, big bodied WR's (larger blocking zone and catch radius), Tall and athletic offensive lineman that can pull and get to the second level, and big running backs and you can run the power spread. 

Pound the ball at them, use TE's down the seam and sidelines for big plays, and WR's for the edge game and down the field. 

In the Big Ten those small slot guys don't get you wins. They can get you first downs and some yards, but not wins. You can ask how many wins Moore has won for Purdue. One could argue the Northwestern game in his first career game, but that is about it. 

8 minutes ago, Toe said:

Supposedly they tried Hickman at duck-R for a while, but the experiment failed. He seems to be a player without a position at the moment.

Tweener for sure. Not big enough for a TE or fast enough for a WR.  Another highly rated guy that we can't figure out how to get him on the field.  

I'd love a "bigger base".  12-13 personnel.  H-Back in some formations.  Under center and some pistol/shotgun.  Some dives, traps and counters.....Big bodied receivers who win the 50/50 balls and can box out DB's....Not to mention set some rub routes on more crossing passings....And the ability to throw and complete a back shoulder fade.  The money pass where only the receiver can get it......

I'm not getting my hopes up......I expect more of the same.

20 minutes ago, lo country said:

Tweener for sure. Not big enough for a TE or fast enough for a WR.  Another highly rated guy that we can't figure out how to get him on the field.  

I'd love a "bigger base".  12-13 personnel.  H-Back in some formations.  Under center and some pistol/shotgun.  Some dives, traps and counters.....Big bodied receivers who win the 50/50 balls and can box out DB's....Not to mention set some rub routes on more crossing passings....And the ability to throw and complete a back shoulder fade.  The money pass where only the receiver can get it......

I'm not getting my hopes up......I expect more of the same.

Think similar to 2018 with some adjustments. 

Eh. I wouldn't completely rule out a Duck-R type receiver. Wandale had a lot of success even if he wasn't used quite right. Lindsey was a Riley recruit. Jones, Woodyard, and Williams were not really Duck-R guys and were all quick gets to fill a class. Spielman had plenty of success here. Fleming flashed potential but supposedly had off field issues.

I get it. We haven't had guys stick around, but I wouldn't stop recruiting a FEW of these guys. Just like you wouldn't want a toolbox full of the same tool, you don't want everyone on the team to have the same skill set. We need the big bodied guys and the smaller quick guys both.

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Eh. I wouldn't completely rule out a Duck-R type receiver. Wandale had a lot of success even if he wasn't used quite right. Lindsey was a Riley recruit. Jones, Woodyard, and Williams were not really Duck-R guys and were all quick gets to fill a class. Spielman had plenty of success here. Fleming flashed potential but supposedly had off field issues.

I get it. We haven't had guys stick around, but I wouldn't stop recruiting a FEW of these guys. Just like you wouldn't want a toolbox full of the same tool, you don't want everyone on the team to have the same skill set. We need the big bodied guys and the smaller quick guys both.

I'm not saying to stop recruiting them, but they can no longer be the focal point of the offense like we tried to run through Wandale. We aren't Ohio St and won't get those type of guys to compete where we want. Running a no huddle with average playmakers = very bad offense. 

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I'm not saying to stop recruiting them, but they can no longer be the focal point of the offense like we tried to run through Wandale. We aren't Ohio St and won't get those type of guys to compete where we want. Running a no huddle with average playmakers = very bad offense. 

I agree with you for the most part.  I guess to me "death of the Duck-R position" sounds like you wouldn't use those type of players at all. 

I'm all for more power running, bigger receivers, and shifty guys as the change of pace not as the focus.

10 hours ago, uberism said:

You can ask how many wins Moore has won for Purdue. One could argue the Northwestern game in his first career game, but that is about it. 

He was the reason they beat tOSU his freshman year.  He made them look silly. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I get not all of these guys were recruited to specifically be the duck-r but we were told these smaller shifty WRs would make this offense go. 

Tyjon Lindsey - transfer 

Miles Jones - transfer

Jaron Woodyard - transfer 

Mike Williams - transfer 

JD Spielman - transfer 

Marcus Fleming - transfer 

Wandale Robinson - transfer

*Class of 21' - no WR under 6'2 

Time to run the power spread Mr. Frost -- and I think you have figured that out with bigger WR, TE, RB. Let's turn this program around. 

#GBR

No the Duck-R position is not dead in Frost's offense. Woodyard and Williams were never recruited to play that position (just look at Williams complaints on twitter he didn't get to play in the slot enough). Alante Brown and Will Nixon will compete for the role this year. The transfer of Robinson was unexpected and likely why no recruit in the class of 21. I think we will see a dip in the positions usage this year and more of an H back with Fidone and Hickmon. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

No the Duck-R position is not dead in Frost's offense. Woodyard and Williams were never recruited to play that position (just look at Williams complaints on twitter he didn't get to play in the slot enough). Alante Brown and Will Nixon will compete for the role this year. The transfer of Robinson was unexpected and likely why no recruit in the class of 21. I think we will see a dip in the positions usage this year and more of an H back with Fidone and Hickmon. 

The assumption that our offense is changing is unfounded, yet I read something about it everyday. Lubick was brought in to help run Frost's system, it's the system they believe in. Maybe they tweak some things, but there won't be wholesale changes. 

• Plus1 4
9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The assumption that our offense is changing is unfounded, yet I read something about it everyday. Lubick was brought in to help run Frost's system, it's the system they believe in. Maybe they tweak some things, but there won't be wholesale changes. 

Changing isn't about going from a raid offense to the option. That isn't what people are saying. Different body types allows you to run different types of plays out of similar formations but the attack can be different. Take Fidone for instance. One of the best TE recruits you will ever see in the Midwest in our lifetime and he will be able to be used outside and inline. You can lien up in a double TE set and motion Fidone out to WR and run him deep and have a big outside WR come underneath. Fidone runs a legit 4.6 40 time for his size so defenses are going to have to account for that once they see it on film. 

The quicker Frost can stretch the field in the 2021 season the more the offense can open up and having a downhil run game can allow the OL to pound away at the DL while the defense is stretched out having to defend the space.