***Official 2021 College Football Thread***

suh_fan93

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

It's quite possible that Martinez would have been the 7th if he hadn't gotten benched.  Completed 71.5% of his passes for the year on 151 attempts.  McCaffrey had 76 attempts.  Martinez has always torched Illinois.

Even crazier considering he only completed 44% against NW and 59% against Minnesota. And I forget the exact numbers, but he was well under 50% once he hurt his shoulder against Minnesota, before that he was over 70% for the game. Had some bad misses in those two games and we couldn't throw a TD to save our lives, but otherwise he was incredibly efficient. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

It's quite possible that Martinez would have been the 7th if he hadn't gotten benched.  Completed 71.5% of his passes for the year on 151 attempts.  McCaffrey had 76 attempts.  Martinez has always torched Illinois.

I'm not sure what the turnover ratio is for all the quarterbacks on that list but I know Martinez probably doesn't fare well in that category.  Fumbles included.  Same with yards per completion... 

Not to get started on any Martinez talk though as I'm sure there's a thread for that.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'm not sure what the turnover ratio is for all the quarterbacks on that list but I know Martinez probably doesn't fare well in that category.  Same with yards per completion...

Matt Coral did have significantly a better YPA, but he had 17 turnovers in 10 games. Most of them didn't run very much, so the fumbles stick out for sure. But even the ones that did (Fields, Corral) weren't as fumble prone. 

I know the YPA is a common criticism of Martinez's completion percentage, but that's not all on him either. Yeah a lot of his passes are short, but so are many of the other QBs - they just have guys actually turning those into chunk plays. 

• Plus1 1