Economy

5 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Whoda thunk...:D

For years when people say "I love my job" I have always countered with "If you could get paid exactly what you get paid now, same benefits and everything, to NOT work, would you take that?"

Of course everyone says yes, except for the hardcore liars that like to really dig in, which is fine, we all lie.

But a universal basic income = people not working.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

For years when people say "I love my job" I have always countered with "If you could get paid exactly what you get paid now, same benefits and everything, to NOT work, would you take that?"

Of course everyone says yes, except for the hardcore liars that like to really dig in, which is fine, we all lie.

But a universal basic income = people not working.

UBI doesn’t mean people not working if it’s small, eg $1,000 a month. The extra $300 (previously $600) is on top of benefits that already existed. Some are still making more than they earned at their old jobs, which is more than $1,000 per month.

But like I said before that doesn’t lead to a 700k jobs gain overestimate when it’s already been in place 14 months and is smaller than before. 

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

UBI doesn’t mean people not working if it’s small, eg $1,000 a month. The extra $300 (previously $600) is on top of benefits that already existed. Some are still making more than they earned at their old jobs, which is more than $1,000 per month.

But like I said before that doesn’t lead to a 700k jobs gain overestimate when it’s already been in place 14 months and is smaller than before. 

Hey, as long as we all get the 1000 a month, I am all for UBI!

And teachers starting out at 100K a year.  

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Whoever laughed at this needs to read about the problems of having a top heavy population. And this is not promoting more illegal immigration, it's promoting allowing more legal immigrants.

Yeah....whomever it is that laughed obviously didn’t read the article and doesn’t have a grasp on the issue. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

A whole generation of people who are crippled with student debt, cant afford to purchase their own homes, and have to pay $5000 to have one child + unbeleivable cost of child care = not starting a family. And its only going to get worse with cost of education, cost of healthcare, cost of child care all increasing year after year.

• Plus1 2
56 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

A whole generation of people who are crippled with student debt, cant afford to purchase their own homes, and have to pay $5000 to have one child + unbeleivable cost of child care = not starting a family. And its only going to get worse with cost of education, cost of healthcare, cost of child care all increasing year after year.

These issues are a problem. But, the bolded is an exaggeration.  

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

That's a very misleading article and there is one hell of a lot that goes into it.  The baby boomers owned 21% compared to 5% now.  Ummmm...look at the numbers in the population and that is going to account for some of that.  

I didn't say these issues aren't important.  But, there are one hell of a lot of people in these age groups that can buy their own homes.  I'm just saying "an entire generation" is a big exaggeration.

And...who is going to inherit the wealth from the older generations?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Tell them to get a f#&%ing job!  Haha

Just kidding, I don't even know who the millennials are anymore.

Born from around 1985 to 2000.  At least that's what I've found.  But...yes, it gets confusing.  

So, these people are around 26-36 years old.