Economy

8 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Uh oh...

Anytime there is talk about people getting paid more, it always has to do with fast food and Amazon (the company, not the big forest) workers, Target and Walmart.  

The second anyone tries to lump teachers in there it goes toxic with...

"They picked that path"

"They knew what they were getting into"

"They get summers off!"

Also, it doesn't help that the most vocal teachers tend to be super whiney and b!^@hy, not a good look.  

• Plus1 1

Obviously a lot of attention recently has been on the restaurant industry's challenge in filling positions (no surprises as to why), but I'm somewhat glad that this issue has shed a bigger light on wages in general. Someone in my family is a pretty good example. They have a couple of open full time positions at their small business that they don't want to pay someone much more than $10-$11/hour for. No healthcare benefits. More and more people have started to realize they can make 2-3 times that (if not more) sitting on their butt at home with a computer and internet access.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Obviously a lot of attention recently has been on the restaurant industry's challenge in filling positions (no surprises as to why), but I'm somewhat glad that this issue has shed a bigger light on wages in general. Someone in my family is a pretty good example. They have a couple of open full time positions at their small business that they don't want to pay someone much more than $10-$11/hour for. No healthcare benefits. More and more people have started to realize they can make 2-3 times that (if not more) sitting on their butt at home with a computer and internet access.

So, in other words, the Democrats haven’t passed a $15 minimum wage so they are basically going to set it at around $25 through welfare. And you love that. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, in other words, the Democrats haven’t passed a $15 minimum wage so they are basically going to set it at around $25 through welfare. And you love that. 

Seems like a significant leap there based on what I said... that, or I'm not following/understanding your response.

My point is that wages have not increased at a rate commiserate with cost of living and overall life expenses in several industries. There are people graduating college making the same starting salaries their parents did 20-30 years ago, especially in certain industries. There are many employers turning significant profits while simultaneously whining about being unable to hire reliable employees at $10/hour, and I happen to know someone who falls in the latter category.

Not saying it applies to all situations and circumstances, but the fact that employees have wizened up to this and are finding more profitable ways to make a living is obviously not a good thing for those employers.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Seems like a significant leap there based on what I said... that, or I'm not following/understanding your response.

My point is that wages have not increased at a rate commiserate with cost of living and overall life expenses in several industries. There are people graduating college making the same starting salaries their parents did 20-30 years ago, especially in certain industries. There are many employers turning significant profits while simultaneously whining about being unable to hire reliable employees at $10/hour, and I happen to know someone who falls in the latter category.

Not saying it applies to all situations and circumstances, but the fact that employees have wizened up to this and are finding more profitable ways to make a living is obviously not a good thing for those employers.

So, when you say this:

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

More and more people have started to realize they can make 2-3 times that (if not more) sitting on their butt at home with a computer and internet access.

They are sitting at home doing something else to make money?  If so GREAT!!!  The discussion had been about people sitting at home collecting unemployment while companies needed workers.  That's what I was talking about.

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

This is the dumbest line of crap I've seen and it's getting repeated ad nauseum. Nebraska's current unemployment rate is what 2.9%? Small business in Nebraska hasn't been able to fill open jobs for years, and its because of brain drain and low wages that make Omaha, Lincoln, and other states more lucrative for employment. Pay more quit chasing away immigrants that will work for your crappy wages, and you'll fill those jobs. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
10 hours ago, teachercd said:

Anytime there is talk about people getting paid more, it always has to do with fast food and Amazon (the company, not the big forest) workers, Target and Walmart.  

The second anyone tries to lump teachers in there it goes toxic with...

"They picked that path"

"They knew what they were getting into"

"They get summers off!"

Also, it doesn't help that the most vocal teachers tend to be super whiney and b!^@hy, not a good look.  

I've said this probably a dozen times here, but I'd lump journalists into the same situation. They're in an industry that hasn't see much sway in starting wages for going on 20 years. Sure, people up at the top of the TV biz are raking in dough... guys like Anderson Cooper or David Muir... but your average local reporter in their 20's is not making much more than $25,000/year. And that's after four years in college. Getting a journalism job without a college degree is incredibly difficult.

Goes to show that there are a lot of jobs in this discussion outside of the low-hanging fruit ones (i.e. servers, superstore employees, etc.) that are struggling. Money was a huge reason I left the TV industry. A 33% salary increase was hard to turn down. Probably would've taken me another 4-5 years and a couple of job changes to different parts of the country to get that salary if I had stayed in TV.

10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I've said this probably a dozen times here, but I'd lump journalists into the same situation. They're in an industry that hasn't see much sway in starting wages for going on 20 years. Sure, people up at the top of the TV biz are raking in dough... guys like Anderson Cooper or David Muir... but your average local reporter in their 20's is not making much more than $25,000/year. And that's after four years in college. Getting a journalism job without a college degree is incredibly difficult.

Goes to show that there are a lot of jobs in this discussion outside of the low-hanging fruit ones (i.e. servers, superstore employees, etc.) that are struggling. Money was a huge reason I left the TV industry. A 33% salary increase was hard to turn down. Probably would've taken me another 4-5 years and a couple of job changes to different parts of the country to get that salary if I had stayed in TV.

Yeah I have a friend and his sister did some sports tv stuff.  Basically had to move around all the time and didn't make s#!t.  Finally quit.

19 hours ago, Enhance said:

Good points. Other things to consider: why would anybody work for $12 bucks an hour? With housing prices surging, the price of a house is rising faster than they can possibly make each month. 

How many years would it take a superstore employee/small business employee making ~$12 an hour to save for a down payment on a house? I don't think it's possible with their current expenses, but even if they tried the down payment number had increased more each month than can be saved. 

This is why there is a labor shortage. It's simply not worth being an indentured servant to a crappy job so you can earn enough to live in a crappy apartment with no benefits. 

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Good points. Other things to consider: why would anybody work for $12 bucks an hour? With housing prices surging, the price of a house is rising faster than they can possibly make each month. 

How many years would it take a superstore employee/small business employee making ~$12 an hour to save for a down payment on a house? I don't think it's possible with their current expenses, but even if they tried the down payment number had increased more each month than can be saved. 

This is why there is a labor shortage. It's simply not worth being an indentured servant to a crappy job so you can earn enough to live in a crappy apartment with no benefits. 

So don’t take a $12 an hour job, get the $20+ an hour job.   Develop a skill set and be more employable:dunno

• Plus1 2