Economy

6 minutes ago, deedsker said:

So really high paying jobs nobody wants. What do we do? Are people not educated enough to do this. $300 a month is keeping people from wanting these jobs that they could make in a day? 

There seems to be a pretty large disconnect between what is being said and reality.

Isn't the 300 a month on top of the unemployment benefits?  

7 minutes ago, deedsker said:

So really high paying jobs nobody wants. What do we do? Are people not educated enough to do this. $300 a month is keeping people from wanting these jobs that they could make in a day? 

There seems to be a pretty large disconnect between what is being said and reality.

Just for clarification. The added unemployment benefits are an extra 300 per week, not month. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That was a very interesting article for me.  Thanks for posting it.  Several things I found interesting.

This is a very important part pertaining to Nebraska:

We don't have enough people.  We need immigration.

So....no....restaurant workers are not making "slave wages".

They never did but it was a cute talking point for some 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, deedsker said:

I've done enough hiring in my business to know that money doesn't motivate a lot of people. Not when sitting on their a$$, collecting unemployment is enough to cover their Netflix subscription, and the dollar menu at McDonald's.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I've done enough hiring in my business to know that money doesn't motivate a lot of people. Not when sitting on their a$$, collecting unemployment is enough to cover their Netflix subscription, and the dollar menu at McDonald's.

Is this not what is within their freedom to do? I wouldn’t want to hire these people anyway if you can’t trust them.

@Frott Scost

Oh, boy. 

Do some hiring within the manual labor workforce, and than we'll talk, fella. You're not exactly picking from the cream of the crop. Every now and then you'll find a diamond in the rough, but it's rare. This isn't a secret. Talk to anyone who hires manual labor workers. 

Also, we start at $15/hr....

Edited by Enhance
Edited this post to remove offending quote from another member.
  • Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Oh, boy. 

Do some hiring within the manual labor workforce, and than we'll talk, fella. You're not exactly picking from the cream of the crop. Every now and then you'll find a diamond in the rough, but it's rare. This isn't a secret. Talk to anyone who hires manual labor workers. 

Also, we start at $15/hr....

I haven't worked for $15 an hour since I was 20 years old. You're asking people to raise families on that?

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I haven't worked for $15 an hour since I was 20 years old. You're asking people to raise families on that?

It's a dollar an hour more than the highest starting pay of every local manufacturing plant, so I think we're being pretty fair.

I'm with you, I wouldn't dream of working for $15/hr, luckily I own the place.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's pretty bold to criticize someone when you have no clue what business he is in and the specifics around it.

The truth about wages is that every employer's starting wage will be only enough to entice employees to work for them over others, not necessarily what the employees are worth or the value of their efforts to the company. 

• Plus1 1