Economy

5 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No one is making it on a single $15 an hour 40 hr/ week anywhere without a second job, government assistance, or lots of overtime. If you think they are, you're not seeing the whole picture. Don't know how much more I can break it down for you. 

So subsidies qualify as government assistance not??? 

Sure, but why not put the correct out of pocket costs instead of the arbitrary number you pulled out of a Google search.  

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Getting it back on a refund does not address monthly cash flow, nice try though.

Take more allowances instead of giving Uncle Sam a free loan.  If not, then budget out your refund for a full 12 months.  

8 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

A high schooler that drives for uber???

Uber eats, door dash is also popular for High schoolers, as is Postmates. 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Sure, but why not put the correct out of pocket costs instead of the arbitrary number you pulled out of a Google search.  

Uhm, because its different for everyone, depending on state, etc. This one is the national average. It's a pretty good well researched number. Unless you've found something better. I mean it might adjust the monthly cash flow by what a couple hundred maybe. That still wouldn't change the fact that a $15 an hour job puts an individual underwater and on the pathway to bankruptcy. 

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Uhm, because its different for everyone, depending on state, etc. This one is the national average. It's a pretty good well researched number. Unless you've found something better. I mean it might adjust the monthly cash flow by what a couple hundred maybe. That still wouldn't change the fact that a $15 an hour job puts an individual underwater and on the pathway to bankruptcy. 

If people are upset over $15/hr then they should find a job that pays more or start their own company and pay themselves whatever they like given the revenue constraints of said business 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No one is making it on a single $15 an hour 40 hr/ week anywhere without a second job, government assistance, or lots of overtime. If you think they are, you're not seeing the whole picture. Don't know how much more I can break it down for you. 

So subsidies qualify as government assistance not??? 

BS.  No, they aren't doing it living in Omaha or Lincoln.  But, there is a difference in cost of living in other areas.  

Also, many companies, like ours, that start at $15 per hour, a person who comes in and stays, doesn't make $15 for very long.  At most, it's maybe a month or two before they get a raise.  

When I punch in $15 per hour in your calculator, it comes up with after tax of $1,928 per month.  It wouldn't be a fun existence, but I could live in my home town on that.  That's $23,136.  Now, if I'm married and my wife is making the same, now the household income is $46,272.

Now, I'm sure you are still going to say, how the hell do you expect someone to live like that.  I don't. In fact, if they come work for me, they will be making more than that.  But, it's also not my job to make sure everyone can pay all their bills every month.  I have no clue what their bills are?  It's different for everyone.  

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Check out the cars/trucks that people who "don't make a lot" drive.  Hint, they are much nicer than my 17 year old SUV.

Haha, great measurement of income there. Next one will be "oh my god, their kids wear shoes that didn't come from Wal-Mart. They must be rich. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

BS.  No, they aren't doing it living in Omaha or Lincoln.  But, there is a difference in cost of living in other areas.  

Also, many companies, like ours, that start at $15 per hour, a person who comes in and stays, doesn't make $15 for very long.  At most, it's maybe a month or two before they get a raise.  

When I punch in $15 per hour in your calculator, it comes up with after tax of $1,928 per month.  It wouldn't be a fun existence, but I could live in my home town on that.  That's $23,136.  Now, if I'm married and my wife is making the same, now the household income is $46,272.

Now, I'm sure you are still going to say, how the hell do you expect someone to live like that.  I don't. In fact, if they come work for me, they will be making more than that.  But, it's also not my job to make sure everyone can pay all their bills every month.  I have no clue what their bills are?  It's different for everyone.  

Not sure how you got $1928 but ok. As I said before., no one is making it on $15 an hour without government assistance, on a single full time job, without lots of overtime. 

image.thumb.png.29cb324cd09e5a276181161d26881df2.png

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The numbers I used were equal to the town of 800 people I live in. Not Omaha or Lincoln. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Me and well most of the teachers I teach with.  Our staff parking lot looks like the lot from https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081698/

Teachers in Omaha make between $40k-$70k. So... no. 

Someone is driving crappy cars around. And it's not people who "don't make a lot."

It's fun to perpetuate the Welfare Queen schtick from the Reagan Era. But folks working for $15/hour or less aren't driving nice cars & trucks.

• Plus1 3