Economy

36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What’s wrong with the tax cuts?  The government doesn’t have a revenue problem.   Tariffs I can see how people disagree.  

Tax cuts have the opposite effect of raising interest rates. You said they waited too long for the latter but yet you don’t see how tax cuts contributed to the problem they waited too long to begin correcting?

20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why did HRC run in fixing the economy too?  

Whether they were needed or not, the government doesn’t have a revenue issue, it has a spending issue.  Having people control a bit more of their own money is a good thing not a bad thing.  If not for Covid, they were on track to bring in more revenue than was lost with the cuts.  Another good thing. 

Tax cuts didn’t cause the bust.  

Yeah, giving rich people all the money always works out great for everyone! In fact, they should pay 0 taxes, and no minimum wage to either so they can really vacuum up all the wealth. Us poor schlubs should feel fortunate to even walk the earth with these welfare queens... I mean scions of enterprise who inherit, I mean pull themselves up by their bootstraps to be worth millions on the backs of our labor. 

This is always the best for everyone :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Tax cuts have the opposite effect of raising interest rates. You said they waited too long for the latter but yet you don’t see how tax cuts contributed to the problem they waited too long to begin correcting?

I will have to respond in detail later.  This POS mobile site has refreshed my reply 5 times now.   

6 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Yeah, giving rich people all the money always works out great for everyone! In fact, they should pay 0 taxes, and no minimum wage to either so they can really vacuum up all the wealth. Us poor schlubs should feel fortunate to even walk the earth with these welfare queens... I mean scions of enterprise who inherit, I mean pull themselves up by their bootstraps to be worth millions on the backs of our labor. 

This is always the best for everyone :facepalm:

:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think it has to do with the fact you can't raise it too much and too fast otherwise you could easily plunge us into recession.  The idea is that you want to slow it down so that it's a soft landing.  The expectation is that they are going to raise it 3% this year.  LINK  So, they do it a little at at time.  It's like if your baby is sitting in cold bath water, you're not just going to turn scalding hot water on and pour a bunch in.  You're going to pour a little in at a time till it hits the right temperature.  

Yeah, numerous small increases are better/safer. Like @Archy1221 (sort of :lol:) I too think they waited too long to start raising rates. Safer to slowly work up to 3% than risk a recession. Runaway inflation and rising interest rates are not ideal though.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

IMO…..The amount of printed money in the system in such a short time was bound to cause inflation by itself.  I don’t think many disagree with that.  Covid shutdowns and even more money printing exacerbated the problem causing this more severe inflation. 

Tax cuts and raised interest rates could/should have both happened.  The tax cuts are short term debt that pays for itself over the long run.   Unfortunately, Covid extended that period of time.   However, I’m always for people keeping as much of their own money as possible while still having a functioning government spending money on what it should.  

Many people I speak with believe the Fed should have been more aggressive with rates and there wasn’t a reason to keep having near zero interest rates for so long.   Every time the Fed hinted at rate hikes, the market would tank a bit, the Fed would get spooked and back down.   And Trump was wrong for wanting even lower rates while President.  

And there you have my Ill-informed opinion that most people could care less about.   

• Plus1 2

I think we are starting to see the real impact of shutting down...

Companies trying to get workers "back to work" in the office and workers saying, f#&% off.  So they quit and start looking for a new "work" from home gig.

So companies that lose workers need to raise the pay to get new people in...so the costs of goods and services continue to go up.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also, I am looking for a "work" from home job that I can fake do while I teach...just to get extra cash for as long as I can.  let me know if you have any leads! 

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

IMO…..The amount of printed money in the system in such a short time was bound to cause inflation by itself.  I don’t think many disagree with that.  Covid shutdowns and even more money printing exacerbated the problem causing this more severe inflation. 

Tax cuts and raised interest rates could/should have both happened.  The tax cuts are short term debt that pays for itself over the long run.   Unfortunately, Covid extended that period of time.   However, I’m always for people keeping as much of their own money as possible while still having a functioning government spending money on what it should.  

Many people I speak with believe the Fed should have been more aggressive with rates and there wasn’t a reason to keep having near zero interest rates for so long.   Every time the Fed hinted at rate hikes, the market would tank a bit, the Fed would get spooked and back down.   And Trump was wrong for wanting even lower rates while President.  

And there you have my Ill-informed opinion that most people could care less about.   

I will agree that the rate hikes should’ve started sooner. The other stuff is a little hit and miss. And while I generally agree with letting people keep as much of their money as possible, there can be no argument that more money in the hands of consumers (aka taxpayers) contributes to increased demand and reduced supply which causes price inflation.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think we are starting to see the real impact of shutting down...

Companies trying to get workers "back to work" in the office and workers saying, f#&% off.  So they quit and start looking for a new "work" from home gig.

So companies that lose workers need to raise the pay to get new people in...so the costs of goods and services continue to go up.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also, I am looking for a "work" from home job that I can fake do while I teach...just to get extra cash for as long as I can.  let me know if you have any leads! 

How many fake jobs can you do at the same time? Figured your hands were already full fake teaching. :P:lol:

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 5/3/2022 at 8:44 AM, BigRedBuster said:

:bs:

I don't believe what was reported a month earlier. 

I don't believe the headline news "American people quit their jobs in March". 

Unfortunately, the viewers of this country believe it. 

(Math says 6.6 million added, 4.5 million quit in one month)... Hmmm

Fri February 4, 2022

Friday's job report showed the US economy added 6.6 million jobs during Biden's first 12 months in office, making it by far the best-ever first year for a president.

"History has been made here," Biden said. He touted the "historic economic progress"

"But here's the good news," Biden continued. "We have the tools to save lives and to keep businesses open and keep schools open. Keep workers on the job."

• Plus1 1

On 5/4/2022 at 8:06 PM, admo said:

:bs:

I don't believe what was reported a month earlier. 

I don't believe the headline news "American people quit their jobs in March". 

Unfortunately, the viewers of this country believe it. 

(Math says 6.6 million added, 4.5 million quit in one month)... Hmmm

Fri February 4, 2022

Friday's job report showed the US economy added 6.6 million jobs during Biden's first 12 months in office, making it by far the best-ever first year for a president.

"History has been made here," Biden said. He touted the "historic economic progress"

"But here's the good news," Biden continued. "We have the tools to save lives and to keep businesses open and keep schools open. Keep workers on the job."

A person can quit one job and take another one, so it's not surprising that the most added jobs would also have the most quits since the more jobs there are, the easier it is to quit and find another one.

• Plus1 3
On 5/9/2022 at 2:16 PM, RedDenver said:

A person can quit one job and take another one, so it's not surprising that the most added jobs would also have the most quits since the more jobs there are, the easier it is to quit and find another one.

A family member of mine has quit several jobs over the last 7 months or so. They started as a waitress, then other customer service jobs before eventually getting a job that starts at $16.50 per hour. 

Lincoln probably has one of the best job markets in the country, however, but I do think lower income people can hop around and find decent wages.

5 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

A family member of mine has quit several jobs over the last 7 months or so. They started as a waitress, then other customer service jobs before eventually getting a job that starts at $16.50 per hour. 

Lincoln probably has one of the best job markets in the country, however, but I do think lower income people can hop around and find decent wages.

Yeah, that is not okay.

It is "Governmentally oppressed people"

Do better, please.