Economy

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Another troubling trend is that the population of working age adults has leveled off.  In fact, it actually declined from 2019 to 2022.  I've read on this before.  That can be attributed to lower birth rates and the baby boomers aging

I think about this a lot working in health care. There is already a staffing crisis in health care and its just gonna get worse and worse. Less people to care for aging adults, and more adults aging seems like an awful combo...

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I completely agree.  What drives me crazy is people who pick one idea out and blame it all on that.  The one I hear the most is..."People are just lazy and don't want to work."  Well, I think I've shown that that's not the problem.  We just don't have the people.

People keep looking past the labor force participation rate so they don’t notice we are a full 5 points below what it peaked at in the early 2000’s and the norm between ‘88-‘07.   So yes, lazy people are PART of the problem.   An additional 3.5-4 million people in the workforce wouldn’t hurt right about now.  

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

People keep looking past the labor force participation rate so they don’t notice we are a full 5 points below what it peaked at in the early 2000’s and the norm between ‘88-‘07.   So yes, lazy people are PART of the problem.   An additional 3.5-4 million people in the workforce wouldn’t hurt right about now.  

Just because people aren't in the workforce, doesn't mean they are lazy.  From the data I provided, a large part of that is

a) People needing to stay home to take care of family.  This is a real problem.  When school went back to in school classes last fall, there was a big increase in people (mostly women) reentering the work force.

b) People retiring.  In 2020, there was double the number of people who retired than usual.  Usually, the US sees around 1,000,000 people retiring in a year.  That year it was over 2,000,000.  The number of people retiring early continues to be higher than normal.

Those two groups aren't lazy.  The first group has priorities they have to take care of.  The second group obviously has funds to live on in retirement after working their whole lives.  I don't fault them for that.  Heck, I would love to retire early.

Then, you add in the drop in immigration and that just adds to the problem.

The "lazy people" excuse is nothing more than someone not willing to look at data and see what is really going on.

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just because people aren't in the workforce, doesn't mean they are lazy.  From the data I provided, a large part of that is

a) People needing to stay home to take care of family.  This is a real problem.  When school went back to in school classes last fall, there was a big increase in people (mostly women) reentering the work force.

b) People retiring.  In 2020, there was double the number of people who retired than usual.  Usually, the US sees around 1,000,000 people retiring in a year.  That year it was over 2,000,000.  The number of people retiring early continues to be higher than normal.

Those two groups aren't lazy.  The first group has priorities they have to take care of.  The second group obviously has funds to live on in retirement after working their whole lives.  I don't fault them for that.  Heck, I would love to retire early.

The "lazy people" excuse is nothing more than someone not willing to look at data and see what is really going on.

Speaking of not willing to look at data, maybe you didn’t realize the participation rate is less than 1%different in Feb 20 vs now.  So could account for some early retirees (awesome for them, I don’t plan on working past 60 either) or some folks who decided after Covid that one income was enough (schools and daycares are open and have been for awhile). 

so yes, lazy people are PART of the problem.  I tried to bold, underline, italicize and put in red the word PART so you didn’t gloss over it again and conflate things I said to mean the only piece of the problem.  

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

BTW….in regards to the massive number of early retirees….the number of 55 older people who do not want a job  increased by less than 100,000 from May’21-May’22

https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpseea38.htm

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

How big a part are they? And what are these lazy people doing for food, shelter, etc?

I don’t know how big of a part, and you don’t either.   To answer your second question, it’s not to hard to figure out where the handouts are coming from.   

If you are here to tell me that there isn’t a portion of the citizenry purposely in the continually looking but unemployed, or not looking for work crowd and living off the government you can move along to the next argument. 

• Fire 1

Just now, Archy1221 said:

I don’t know how big of a part, and you don’t either.   To answer your second question, it’s not to hard to figure out where the handouts are coming from.   

If you are here to tell me that there isn’t a portion of the citizenry purposely in the continually looking but unemployed, or not looking for work crowd and living off the government you can move along to the next argument. 

I'm not here to tell you anything. I'm here asking you why you cite this as an issue when it could be a small fraction. 

As you said, you don't know. But you continue to bring it into the conversation like it's an important factor. It's fair to ask you why you think that. When the answer is "I don't know," then your opinion is justifiably discounted. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I'm not here to tell you anything. I'm here asking you why you cite this as an issue when it could be a small fraction. 

As you said, you don't know. But you continue to bring it into the conversation like it's an important factor. It's fair to ask you why you think that. When the answer is "I don't know," then your opinion is justifiably discounted. 

It’s possible you don’t understand what “part of the problem” means:dunno

It means it isn’t the only piece of the problem.  But it is part of the problem.  I pushed back some on the retiree early and stay at home crowd because as Buster said, many of the women have indeed come back into the workforce.  

It could be an important factor, it could be a smaller factor than what I think, but it is no doubt a factor.  The US has 35 million people aged 16-54 who do not want a job.  Only 150,000 site family responsibility i.e. significant others who need to stay home for kids, older parents.  150,000 site school, 450,000 site other as reason for not working.  

I’m pretty sure BLS doesn’t have a category named too lazy to get a job.  Though let me know if you find it.  

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ok?   You specifically referenced people retiring early as a problem and i gave you BLS stats showing it was an increase of less than 100,000 people ‘21-‘22

Fine....take the word "early" out.  LINK

The number of recent retirees doubled year over year, up from 1.5 million. It’s also the highest number of boomers to retire in a single year so far.This year’s increase brings the total share of retired boomers to 40%.

That means there are 1.5 million more people that retired than previous year.  That's a significant number of the working population
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fine....take the word "early" out.  LINK

That means there are 1.5 million more people that retired than previous year.  That's a significant number of the working population

Yes it is and agree.  We also have had a decline in college admittance of 7.8% so some of that boomer retirement should have been mitigated by less student enrollment (people eligible for work) 

• Plus1 1