Economy

15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Saying the quiet part out loud.  Though people still wonder why rhetoric and policy matters.  

The U.S. and the entire world are headed for a great big economic hangover years in the making.

Some people will ignore the confluence of greed, willful ignorance, longstanding bipartisan policy, and more than a little natural chaos and toss out idiotic memes like this "here's where everything bad came from" horses#!t, insuring we get angry at the wrong things and learn absolutely nothing. 

You have to be gleefully partisan and intellectually dishonest to chart this economy to Joe Biden policies. 

As always, happy to review the alternative economic proposals the Republicans have advocated, and measure the GNP, gas prices, job growth, inflation, crime rate, consumer confidence, and federal deficit of previous Republican administrations. 

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure about that.  My hope is the stabilize for a while and not come down sharply putting people in an upside down position.  Coming down a little would help.  Coming down sharply would be bad.

But, there are a ton of houses being built or planning to be built right now.  If existing home owners don't trade up because of interest rates, that leaves first time home buyers to prop up the market and buy those homes.  If interest rates scare them off, they will rent instead of buy for a while.

Best case scenario is housing prices do not drop, they just stabilize and don’t grow and regression to the mean happens a little.  Basically saying, years 2023 and 2024 housing price increases already happened in 2021and 2022.  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Best case scenario is housing prices do not drop, they just stabilize and don’t grow and regression to the mean happens a little.  Basically saying, years 2023 and 2024 housing price increases already happened in 2021and 2022.  

That's what I would hope.

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's perfectly legal and hardly surprising, but one big problem with the housing market is that people who can afford the investment and risk are making it difficult for the people who can't.

https://www.businessinsider.com/housing-market-prices-expensive-millennials-wealthy-rich-americans-wall-street-2021-7

This might be an investment that bites them in the a$$...and I'd be fine with that.

If interest rates do what they project them to do and people drop back on buying homes and the price of homes stabilize or come down because of it, these investors are going to run for the exits.

Unfortunately, that's what might make them drop sharply.

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's perfectly legal and hardly surprising, but one big problem with the housing market is that people who can afford the investment and risk are making it difficult for the people who can't.

https://www.businessinsider.com/housing-market-prices-expensive-millennials-wealthy-rich-americans-wall-street-2021-7

So true.  One of my best friends in life made a fortune for him and his partners PE firm shortly after the 2008 crash by talking them into spending hundreds of millions buying up the banknotes from the foreclosures and just sitting on that inventory in a low interest environment (or renting out when they could) until prices soared back.  They unloaded the inventory and sat on fat stacks of profit afterwords. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m just spitballing and I’m sure there is a whole lot wrong with this, and I know it won’t help the current situation.  But what’s stopping the govt from drilling and refining oil?  I’m aware of how expensive it is, but it appears to be a solid investment looking at oil companies.

They already have the land and could operate on a “break even” mentality.  Kind of like the Post Office to all the other private delivery services.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’m just spitballing and I’m sure there is a whole lot wrong with this, and I know it won’t help the current situation.  But what’s stopping the govt from drilling and refining oil?  I’m aware of how expensive it is, but it appears to be a solid investment looking at oil companies.

They already have the land and could operate on a “break even” mentality.  Kind of like the Post Office to all the other private delivery services.

I agree but I think there are some issues

1.  The crazy eniornment people would LOSE thier mind and Greta would be here in 4 seconds to tell us we are horrible

2.  It would like the government was overstepping but like you said, the post office sort of works that way.

3.  Some people (nut bars) think that oil/gas is dying out...probably because they think The Road Warrior was a documentary and not a movie.

I for one would be all for your idea.  I drive a woman's car (the dealer told me I was the first man to purchase one) and I am sick of filling up my tank.

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

The fear of becoming Venezuela.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

If we are going to nationalize industries, then that's going to take a huge mindset change from many people in the US.  And, that is going to have to come mostly from the side that is blaming Biden for all of this.

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If we are going to nationalize industries, then that's going to take a huge mindset change from many people in the US.  And, that is going to have to come mostly from the side that is blaming Biden for all of this.

I thought communism was bad... Mmm Kay.

• Oh Yeah! 2