Economy

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No….they are marking up to where the market is to sell them. Ford should be fine with it. Dealers are buying everything they make and begging for more. 

Dealers have to pay bills. If the volume of cars being sold is down, but they can get more for each car, that’s what they need to do. 

You just said they're only marking up most of their inventory about $500 above MSRP, but they're marking up the Lightning $30k-$50k. The $500 markup is for paying their bills - the $30,000 markup is not. If the $30,000 markup was about paying their bills, then all or most of their inventory would have a similar markup.

10 hours ago, RedDenver said:

You just said they're only marking up most of their inventory about $500 above MSRP, but they're marking up the Lightning $30k-$50k. The $500 markup is for paying their bills - the $30,000 markup is not. If the $30,000 markup was about paying their bills, then all or most of their inventory would have a similar markup.

Because that is where the market is for that truck. Like I said. 

I have never liked the "They charge too much" line.  I get it, I do, we all get it but if you don't like the price, don't buy it.

I was just in the market for a car a year ago.  I had two choices, get what I wanted but I hated the price or get something I did not really want but loved the price.

I picked the low price over what I wanted. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because that is where the market is for that truck. Like I said. 

This.  If it’s not in demand like it is, dealers wouldn’t be able to mark it up and get that price.  

I believe In a year or two, people won’t be happy they paid the markup though

• Plus1 2

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

there are lots of people who trade in cans every few years. Many of those people aren’t doing that because they can’t get new ones. 

So, as car dealers are able to increase production, those people will be gobbling them up still. There will then be a glut of used cars. But, supply will still be tight for new.  Used cars will tend to have more miles. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

there are lots of people who trade in cans every few years. Many of those people aren’t doing that because they can’t get new ones. 

So, as car dealers are able to increase production, those people will be gobbling them up still. There will then be a glut of used cars. But, supply will still be tight for new.  Used cars will tend to have more miles. 

I have noticed this just recently, used cars had a ton of miles and still were kind of expensive.  

I would imagine it will only get worse.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

This.  If it’s not in demand like it is, dealers wouldn’t be able to mark it up and get that price.  

I believe In a year or two, people won’t be happy they paid the markup though

They also wouldn't be able to charge that if Ford could sell directly to customers and it would be minimized if dealerships didn't have geographic exclusivity.

And I agree customers will be really pissed they paid that much. It'll be interesting to see if the dealerships hurt long-term demand using these tactics or if customers barely notice.

1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

Since tinfoil hats seem to be the all rage the past day or so, here's one.  Trump had the FBI do a search and seizure to deflect from inflation news.

This was discussed earlier.

But, something about that tweet is wrong.  There is no way in hell that inflation is .3%. And, there is no way in hell it was ZERO.

• Plus1 1

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) was unchanged in July on a seasonally
adjusted basis after rising 1.3 percent in June, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.
Over the last 12 months, the all items index increased 8.5 percent before seasonal adjustment.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/cpi_08102022.htm#:~:text=There were some indexes that,for the period ending June.