Economy

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

4-5 years ago, we said we weren’t going to buy a car till the kids were out of college. Last one is graduating and our car had 160,000 miles. 

So, have gone car shopping now twice. Probably going to buy new for the first time in my life. 

not once have we been able to test drive the car we want to look at. They don’t know when they will get some. If we order one, there is still no guarantee we will get what we ordered.

So tired of this. 

Good luck. Car shopping sucks bad right now. The computer chip shortage really screwed things up. Then toss in rampant inflation and you have a real mess. Even the vehicle you might be lucky enough to find might not have all the features it’s supposed to due to substituted or missing chips.

My son had to get a vehicle almost a year ago and the car lots and selection was just sad.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I think it would be nice if Gov wouldn’t get too involved in trying to fix something and let the natural course keep going with what the Fed is doing. 

Honest question - what part of what the federal reserve is doing, or even existing, can be deemed as 'natural'?

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Good luck. Car shopping sucks bad right now. The computer chip shortage really screwed things up. Then toss in rampant inflation and you have a real mess. Even the vehicle you might be lucky enough to find might not have all the features it’s supposed to due to substituted or missing chips.

My son had to get a vehicle almost a year ago and the car lots and selection was just sad.

It really sucks. There isn’t even cars to look at. We can order one…..wait 6-8 months. Still not guaranteed we will get what we ordered. We might order a white car and it might come grey. 

I get the chip issue. But, we can’t even choose the color?

Oh, and there are no used cars either. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It really sucks. There isn’t even cars to look at. We can order one…..wait 6-8 months. Still not guaranteed we will get what we ordered. We might order a white car and it might come grey. 

I get the chip issue. But, we can’t even choose the color?

Oh, and there are no used cars either. 

If you can, I'd try to wait until the spring when demand tends to go down. No guarantee it will be better by then, but if you have the luxury of waiting, you'll probably end up with what you want at a better price.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

4-5 years ago, we said we weren’t going to buy a car till the kids were out of college. Last one is graduating and our car had 160,000 miles. 

So, have gone car shopping now twice. Probably going to buy new for the first time in my life. 

not once have we been able to test drive the car we want to look at. They don’t know when they will get some. If we order one, there is still no guarantee we will get what we ordered.

So tired of this. 

You and me both brother... This industry absolutely sucks to work in right now. Plants go down every day because they run out of all kinds of things that take chips, or we can't get axels, heat shields, transmissions, you name it 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If you can, I'd try to wait until the spring when demand tends to go down. No guarantee it will be better by then, but if you have the luxury of waiting, you'll probably end up with what you want at a better price.

That might be what we do.  But, we’ve already waited a couple years longer than we wanted and, with 160,000 miles….starting to get concerned that a major repair is right around then corner. 

But, maybe that is still cheaper than buying now. Everything is well above MSRP. 

For fun, I test drove the new Ford Lightning. OMFG….those are nice. But, anywhere from 30,000 - 50,000 over MSRP of 81,000. And…. No clue when I’d get it. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

That might be what we do.  But, we’ve already waited a couple years longer than we wanted and, with 160,000 miles….starting to get concerned that a major repair is right around then corner. 

But, maybe that is still cheaper than buying now. Everything is well above MSRP. 

For fun, I test drove the new Ford Lightning. OMFG….those are nice. But, anywhere from 30,000 - 50,000 over MSRP of 81,000. And…. No clue when I’d get it. 

That's too bad. Looks like Ford made a great product with the F-150 Lightning, but I suspect the dealerships are going to end up being the death of Ford - and probably most of the legacy automakers.

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You and me both brother... This industry absolutely sucks to work in right now. Plants go down every day because they run out of all kinds of things that take chips, or we can get axels, heat shields, transmissions, you name it 

And, there aren’t used cars because everyone that is leasing a car, is buying it because there isn’t a new car to start a new lease on. 

Just now, RedDenver said:

That's too bad. Looks like Ford made a great product with the F-150 Lightning, but I suspect the dealerships are going to end up being the death of Ford - and probably most of the legacy automakers.

I’m not thinking it’s the dealers fault. They can’t get cars. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not thinking it’s the dealers fault. They can’t get cars. 

Being out of stock is not their fault, but marking it up $30k-$50k is definitely the dealer's fault. Ford has been warning dealers not to do these markups (although Ford appears to be powerless to actually do anything about it): 

https://electrek.co/2022/01/07/ford-warns-dealers-taking-advantage-f150-lightning-reservation-holders/

Just now, RedDenver said:

Being out of stock is not their fault, but marking it up $30k-$50k is definitely the dealer's fault. Ford has been warning dealers not to do these markups (although Ford appears to be powerless to actually do anything about it): 

https://electrek.co/2022/01/07/ford-warns-dealers-taking-advantage-f150-lightning-reservation-holders/

So….you’re a dealer that is used to selling 200 cars a month at a certain margin. Now, they can only get 50 cars a month and have no used cars to sell either. 

WTF does Ford expect them to do?  

Also, the lightning is a special deal. Most others were maybe $500 over MSRP. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So….you’re a dealer that is used to selling 200 cars a month at a certain margin. Now, they can only get 50 cars a month and have no used cars to sell either. 

WTF does Ford expect them to do?  

Also, the lightning is a special deal. Most others were maybe $500 over MSRP. 

Yeah, that's my point - they're marking up the Lightning but not the other vehicles, which means it isn't about monthly margins. If all their vehicles were $30k-$50k over MSRP, then you'd have a point.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Yeah, that's my point - they're marking up the Lightning but not the other vehicles, which means it isn't about monthly margins. If all their vehicles were $30k-$50k over MSRP, then you'd have a point.

No….they are marking up to where the market is to sell them. Ford should be fine with it. Dealers are buying everything they make and begging for more. 

Dealers have to pay bills. If the volume of cars being sold is down, but they can get more for each car, that’s what they need to do. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1