Economy

I was just thinking about the labor market and trying to figure out how the US is going to get back to having enough people to employ.  It's not a problem that's going to go away anytime soon unless we have a deep recession and nobody needs employees anymore.  Obviously, that's not what we want.

So, I have preached for years that it's absolutely crazy how big our military is.  It's stupid.  In 2021, we have 1.4 million members of the military.  And, the expense to run that is astronomical and we could use that money elsewhere to make people's lives better....like infrastructure, healthcare...etc.

So, let's say we reduce the military to 1 million.  That would roughly be 28% reduction in service members.  That would then be 400,000 people that would be available to industry to hire and help keep the economy growing.

We spend 1.94 trillion dollars on this bloated organization.  So, reduce that budget by 20%. That would be 38.8 billion dollars to use in the US doing great things.

I say reduce the numbers by 28% but the budget only 20% because, I want the remaining 1 million service members to still be the best equipt, best trained and best cared for military in the world.

Sounds like a win win win.

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was just thinking about the labor market and trying to figure out how the US is going to get back to having enough people to employ.  It's not a problem that's going to go away anytime soon unless we have a deep recession and nobody needs employees anymore.  Obviously, that's not what we want.

So, I have preached for years that it's absolutely crazy how big our military is.  It's stupid.  In 2021, we have 1.4 million members of the military.  And, the expense to run that is astronomical and we could use that money elsewhere to make people's lives better....like infrastructure, healthcare...etc.

So, let's say we reduce the military to 1 million.  That would roughly be 28% reduction in service members.  That would then be 400,000 people that would be available to industry to hire and help keep the economy growing.

We spend 1.94 trillion dollars on this bloated organization.  So, reduce that budget by 20%. That would be 38.8 billion dollars to use in the US doing great things.

I say reduce the numbers by 28% but the budget only 20% because, I want the remaining 1 million service members to still be the best equipt, best trained and best cared for military in the world.

Sounds like a win win win.

This is what I saw.  

https://rollcall.com/2022/07/14/pentagon-hill-added-58-billion-to-current-defense-budget/

The $58.55 billion total amounts to nearly 8 percent of the Defense Department’s fiscal 2022 base budget appropriation of $742.3 billion.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

This is what I saw.  

https://rollcall.com/2022/07/14/pentagon-hill-added-58-billion-to-current-defense-budget/

The $58.55 billion total amounts to nearly 8 percent of the Defense Department’s fiscal 2022 base budget appropriation of $742.3 billion.

Well crap.  When I google “us military budget” the first thing that pops up mentions 1.94 trillion.   

But, you are correct with your 742 billion.  

So, taking my idea, the military budget would be reduced to 594 billion. 

that would be 148 billion that could be used on something else. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well crap.  When I google “us military budget” the first thing that pops up mentions 1.94 trillion.   

But, you are correct with your 742 billion.  

So, taking my idea, the military budget would be reduced to 594 billion. 

that would be 148 billion that could be used on something else. 

Or, it could just not be spent…:dunno

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The debt service bill will soon be as large or larger then the military budget.    Hope that sinks in to everyone that one of our largest line item expenses is going to just pay off interest on debt.   

Wouldn’t it be nice if we had our deficits down to 2015 levels…at least.