Economy

7 minutes ago, GSG said:

Serious question; would you be interested in starting a teacher career right now if you were in college? 

Ohhhh, good question. 

Maybe not, it is amazing what crazy parents have done to the profession in the last 3-4 years.  We were "heroes" and thanked non-stop and told how what we do is so amazing...now the crazies have turned on us...they either think we are brainwashing their kids (we are not) or they think they know more about teaching than. we do (they don't), just like I don't know more than the jobs that other people do.

The good news, and it will hit in a few years, is that the crazies have made it so the pay for teachers will go up, a lot.  

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ohhhh, good question. 

Maybe not, it is amazing what crazy parents have done to the profession in the last 3-4 years.  We were "heroes" and thanked non-stop and told how what we do is so amazing...now the crazies have turned on us...they either think we are brainwashing their kids (we are not) or they think they know more about teaching than. we do (they don't), just like I don't know more than the jobs that other people do.

The good news, and it will hit in a few years, is that the crazies have made it so the pay for teachers will go up, a lot.  

My wife's younger cousin has been thinking about getting into teaching and it's hard to tell her not to but also hard to tell her to do it. There are still some good things about it, but you're 100% right - the crazies are ruining the profession. My wife has been looking to move into the district where we live (more $, less commute, less anti-education people), but she's also been looking into non-education jobs. It's wild how these companies view teachers as glorified babysitters with no technical skills. 

2 minutes ago, GSG said:

My wife's younger cousin has been thinking about getting into teaching and it's hard to tell her not to but also hard to tell her to do it. There are still some good things about it, but you're 100% right - the crazies are ruining the profession. My wife has been looking to move into the district where we live (more $, less commute, less anti-education people), but she's also been looking into non-education jobs. It's wild how these companies view teachers as glorified babysitters with no technical skills. 

Yeah, so back in the day leaving teaching meant going into corporate training, they LOVED hiring teachers, I don't know how big of a thing that is anymore.  

.Other fields I have seen a few teaching friends go to have been non-profit places and things that require a lot of organizational skills.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, so back in the day leaving teaching meant going into corporate training, they LOVED hiring teachers, I don't know how big of a thing that is anymore.  

.Other fields I have seen a few teaching friends go to have been non-profit places and things that require a lot of organizational skills.

This lady has made a career out of helping teachers leave the field: https://teachercareercoach.com/

But you're right, a lot of the positions are corporate trainers or admin/admin asst positions 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

21 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Even when a geriatric creepy uncle is the best they can put forth, it always seems like the years under Democratic presidents just seem pretty chill with a steady slow inch of progress and stability.

Progress is rarely huge monumental steps forward.

Enshrining gay marriage into federal law is an important step but doesn't feel that different to most Americans. Most aren't aware that SCOTUS could've taken that away.

Signing the Inflation Reduction Act to beef up IRS enforcement of tax cheats, increasing American investment in vital new technologies like battery sourcing, investments in their research and applications doesn't feel that different for people. But it's important for national security - the Untied States will be the Saudi Arabia of battery technology in the 2040s. It has the added benefit of addressing climate change with the biggest investment in history.

Signing CHIPS and Science Act, similarly, will allow the Untied States to develop sourced microchips and funding for research in that space - countering Chinese investment. The average American won't feel this - other than the 10s of thousands of jobs created - America producing world class microchips will just be the norm in the 2030s.

Signing the Bipartisan Infrastructure  Bill will invest 1.2 Trillion dollars into clean water, improved roads, new bridges and broadband internet for rural areas. The primary beneficiaries of this law are Red states that voted against the bill, and rural voters who think Joe Biden is Satan himself. They won't feel this investment - water is expected to be clean, the internet is expected to work, etc. 

I can continue onto other achievements - new student loan repayment plans, capping insulin prices for Medicare/Medicaid recipients, and many other things. All while overseeing the best economic recovery in the developed world. 

• Oh Yeah! 2