Economy

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is going out on a limb because I've never actually met the guy.  But, I bet even @teachercd could go get a higher paying job if he really wanted to.  I know lots of ex teachers who have done just that.

Reality is, I bet he really actually likes his work environment and what he's doing so he doesn't have a desire to get out of teaching.

You don't stay in teaching, if you don't really like teaching or the benefits it offers. I know someone who acts/sounds just like teach and rips on kids all the time, but still stays at his position. I think free summers and working their way into coaching is important. Another, really likes teaching, but isn't in the field mostly because the pay is bad. They need a better paying job for their family.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not as limited as what people think.

I hired a waitress from a bar one time.  She had worked there for a long time and had never thought about a different job till one day I was talking to her and her boss had pissed her off.  She's making more money and gets to be home with her kid at better hours.

Almost every meta-analysis reveals that for every 'good' paying job, there are 3.4 low wage workers.

If every service employee in the country learned a trade, took a computer coding class or attempted to start their own business, 70% of them would be stuck in their current job.

It's great that your personal experience is different, but there are millions of Americans without option. This idea that you just have to pick yourself up by the 'ol bootstraps has to stop. It can only get you so far,  and for millions of people that's low-wage service work. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Almost every meta-analysis reveals that for every 'good' paying job, there are 3.4 low wage workers.

If every service employee in the country learned a trade, took a computer coding class or attempted to start their own business, 70% of them would be stuck in their current job.

It's great that your personal experience is different, but there are millions of Americans without option. This idea that you just have to pick yourself up by the 'ol bootstraps has to stop. It can only get you so far,  and for millions of people that's low-wage service work. 

It’s a combination.  Are there people who wouldn’t work in my jobs?  Definitely. But, there are lots of people that would but don’t. 

Another side of this is that there are people who gain power by convincing others that they can’t. Or, they have been raised in a way to make them think they can’t. 

35 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Would that stop dumb restaurant owners from complaining or does their entire business model rely on slave wages?

Not to mention that the number of jobs paying higher wages are limited.

Pretty sure they don’t pay slave wages, but I don’t own a restaurant

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is going out on a limb because I've never actually met the guy.  But, I bet even @teachercd could go get a higher paying job if he really wanted to.  I know lots of ex teachers who have done just that.

Reality is, I bet he really actually likes his work environment and what he's doing so he doesn't have a desire to get out of teaching.

Thank you, I can't because I have zero skills for the real world work force.   But I do like my job and I actually get to design some of my own courses. 

But I do know some teachers that have left to go on and do well outside of education.

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Thank you, I can't because I have zero skills for the real world work force.   But I do like my job and I actually get to design some of my own courses. 

But I do know some teachers that have left to go on and do well outside of education.

Yes you do.

There are corporate trainers that do that too that make more than what a public school teacher makes.  Being a teacher, standing in front of people talking, understanding how to put a training course together so that people can learn something, is a skill that other jobs can use.  Your coaching experience shows that you have the ability to organize people and motivate them.

That's even a skill that many sales positions could use and many sales people make a lot of money.

3 minutes ago, deedsker said:

But that is what the employer pays as long as customers make up the difference (less taxes and all the other hidden employment expenses that I am not arguing over).

Ask around and see if they would rather work tips and low salary or a regular paying salary and not tips.  

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Pretty sure they don’t pay slave wages, but I don’t own a restaurant

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I think their employment at the establishment brings them more than $2.13/hr.  Just spitballing there though 

Not what you said.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Thats what the employer pays them. The rest comes from tips. If they dont make tips that equal minimum wage, then the employer has to make up the difference. 

Yes, and waiters at many places make more than the minimum wage.

Believe me, I would love for the US to go to more of what is done in Europe where tipping isn't expected and most of the time not done.  The waiter is paid more from the restaurant and the food is more expensive.  But, it all equals out and you see lots of times older people being waiters because of it.

• Plus1 2