Economy

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes you do.

There are corporate trainers that do that too that make more than what a public school teacher makes.  Being a teacher, standing in front of people talking, understanding how to put a training course together so that people can learn something, is a skill that other jobs can use.  Your coaching experience shows that you have the ability to organize people and motivate them.

That's even a skill that many sales positions could use and many sales people make a lot of money.

I almost got a corporate training job years ago!  I nailed the interview but I think someone else was doing the final hiring, not the lady I interviewed with.

54 minutes ago, deedsker said:

I think $2.13/hr in Nebraska says otherwise.

Misleading to say they only make that amount. That is their hourly wage, but not their compensation.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/nebraska-laws-tipped-employees.html

Tip Credits

Minimum wage laws protect all employees, whether or not they receive tips. Employees are entitled to earn the full minimum wage per hour as set by federal or state law. Currently, the federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Nebraska's minimum wage is currently $9.00 an hour (for 2020), and applies to employers with at least four employees. For employers with three or fewer workers, the lower federal minimum wage applies.

State laws differ as to whether the employer must pay the full minimum wage itself or may count an employee's tips toward its minimum wage obligation. Under federal law and in most states, employers may pay tipped employees less than the minimum wage, as long as employees earn enough in tips to make up the difference. This is called a "tip credit." The credit is the amount the employer doesn't have to pay, so the applicable minimum wage (federal or state) less the tip credit is the least the employer can pay tipped employees per hour. If an employee doesn't make enough in tips during a given workweek to earn at least the applicable minimum wage for each hour worked, the employer has to pay the difference.

Nebraska law allows employers to claim a tip credit. Employers may pay tipped employees an hourly wage as low as $2.13. This means employers may take a tip credit of up to $6.87, as long as the employee makes enough in tips to bring his or her wages up to $9.00 an hour. If not, the employer must make up the difference

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Misleading to say they only make that amount. That is their hourly wage, but not their compensation.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/nebraska-laws-tipped-employees.html

Tip Credits

Minimum wage laws protect all employees, whether or not they receive tips. Employees are entitled to earn the full minimum wage per hour as set by federal or state law. Currently, the federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Nebraska's minimum wage is currently $9.00 an hour (for 2020), and applies to employers with at least four employees. For employers with three or fewer workers, the lower federal minimum wage applies.

State laws differ as to whether the employer must pay the full minimum wage itself or may count an employee's tips toward its minimum wage obligation. Under federal law and in most states, employers may pay tipped employees less than the minimum wage, as long as employees earn enough in tips to make up the difference. This is called a "tip credit." The credit is the amount the employer doesn't have to pay, so the applicable minimum wage (federal or state) less the tip credit is the least the employer can pay tipped employees per hour. If an employee doesn't make enough in tips during a given workweek to earn at least the applicable minimum wage for each hour worked, the employer has to pay the difference.

Nebraska law allows employers to claim a tip credit. Employers may pay tipped employees an hourly wage as low as $2.13. This means employers may take a tip credit of up to $6.87, as long as the employee makes enough in tips to bring his or her wages up to $9.00 an hour. If not, the employer must make up the difference

Not what I alluded to, but thanks for getting the text to what Frott Scost already outlined. The noted claim was the paid wage which can be as low as $2.13/hr by employer.

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Not what I alluded to, but thanks for getting the text to what Frott Scost already outlined. The noted claim was the paid wage which can be as low as $2.13/hr by employer.

Yeah, I thought that link was informative as well

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

That’s why they put higher wages, skill set and supply and demand 

The problem is that no matter what, there will always be low wage workers no matter their skill set. 

The idea I'm pushing back on is when you say that they should teach themselves a skill: it doesn't matter, the number of openings for higher wages is limited. And as such they are less likely to have health insurance, retirement, etc. There is no amount of bootstrapping that millions of people can do to better their situation. 

Society ends up paying for those costs anyway. We might as well try to structure employment so an employee can at least live.

• Plus1 4

49 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The problem is that no matter what, there will always be low wage workers no matter their skill set. 

The idea I'm pushing back on is when you say that they should teach themselves a skill: it doesn't matter, the number of openings for higher wages is limited. And as such they are less likely to have health insurance, retirement, etc. There is no amount of bootstrapping that millions of people can do to better their situation. 

Society ends up paying for those costs anyway. We might as well try to structure employment so an employee can at least live.

I’ve said I’m willing to pay them and train them. I’m not unique. I’m willing to help pull those boots on.  But, it takes some initiative to apply for the job, show up and try. 

Heck, I’ll even buy the boots. 

The part I’m pushing back on is saying the jobs are limited. There are more jobs out here like mine than what people think.  

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ve said I’m willing to pay them and train them. I’m not unique. I’m willing to help pull those boots on.  But, it takes some initiative to apply for the job, show up and try. 

The part I’m pushing back on is saying the jobs are limited. There are more jobs out here like mine than what people think.  

That's fair, and I do believe you. However, there needs to be millions more employers just like you. 

Sincerely, I think it's great that you're willing to train and help employees with little experience. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

That's fair, and I do believe you. However, there needs to be millions more employers just like you. 

Sincerely, I think it's great that you're willing to train and help employees with little experience. 

There are LOTS of employers like me. 

• Plus1 3
46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The first thing that needs to stop is this totally odd "Big business is out to get me", 

Most, like you, are happy to pay a fair wage.

I will give the crazies credit, they have created this story that the company is out to get them and it has worked.  

• Plus1 4

8 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Well if your gonna be that guy, how much did slaves get paid?  My guess is less than $2.13/hr

What was the cost of their food and housing with inflation? You gleaned what you wanted to make your statement seem critical/correct comparatively while changing the conversational point to avoid the critic. But you knew what you were doing.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, deedsker said:

What was the cost of their food and housing with inflation? You gleaned what you wanted to make your statement seem critical/correct comparatively while changing the conversational point to avoid the critic. But you knew what you were doing.

It’s ok to just say the slave comparison was dumb and move on instead of digging your hole deeper.   It’s just not working for ya. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s ok to just say the slave comparison was dumb and move on instead of digging your hole deeper.   It’s just not working for ya. 

Wasn't even my words. Relative comparisons and allegory give meaning to things people haven't personally experienced. But we have been over this. But thanks for trying to pretend to be on the high ground, you're good at that.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Wasn't even my words. Relative comparisons and allegory give meaning to things people haven't personally experienced. But we have been over this. But thanks for trying to pretend to be on the high ground, you're good at that.

You were pretty swift in defending the inaccurate and crazy comparison.  You took it on as your own and it didn’t work.  

Anyone not happy making “$2.13/hr” is free to look elsewhere where they can make “non-slave wages”  

• Plus1 1