Economy

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

How do we deal with China?  Pre DJT wasn’t tenable for the long term 

I’m not saying there aren’t problems we should try to stop, but they were overblown by Trump and things were far worse with his solution(s). He didn’t and still doesn’t understand what a trade deficit means. He thinks it’s a zero sum game and that’s ridiculously wrong, and made decisions off his misunderstanding of it. 

• Plus1 4
  • 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Chamath Palihapitiya is absolutely on fire on CNBC right now about this. I'll post a video when I find one after the interview.

Pro or con? 

Because as near as I can tell from reading about this, they aren't doing anything illegal.

18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Pro or con? 

Because as near as I can tell from reading about this, they aren't doing anything illegal.

He is pro the retail traders. Not in 100% agreement with everything he said, but he is really sticking up for the small guys b/c he sees how this can end with insane regulations being put on me and you and whoever else with a couple grand to invest while they bail out hedge funds again and let them lever up risk they can't cover over and over again.

• Plus1 2

OK....can someone give me the reader's digest version of what's going on with GameStop...etc.?

Edit:  I listened to the above interview and from what I gathered from Chamath, I agree with him.  If I'm understanding things correctly, people on Reddit created a momentum for everyone to go out and buy Gamestock which drove up the price.  Am I correct?

If so, people managing large hedge funds can go f#&% themselves.  That sort of thing has been happening behind the scenes with them for a very long time and they have gotten amazingly rich from it, while retail investors don't have the same information.  Now, the tables are turned?  Sorry Wall Street.....boo hoo.

If Im wrong on what's going on, please correct me.

Thanks,

• Plus1 1

People are nostalgic for Gamestop. Some people invest/tell other on investing subreddit about investing into Gamestop. Gamestop goes up a little bit. People find out Hedge Fund is highly investing in Gamestop tanking (short selling the stock). Internet takes over and all kinds of people start investing in Gamestop to get said Hedge Fund to lose money. No real central players causing major issues to a particular investment company and people are concerned what is next.

TLDR; real world Occupy Wall Street movement, but using financial institutions.