Economy

19 hours ago, nic said:

This!

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/05/world/iter-nuclear-fusion-climate-intl-cnnphotos/

…screw wind power…solar I can deal with on everyone’s roof, but it doesn’t help the large cities. 

Hopefully this works!

I will say, optimistically, it's going to be 2050 before this is available at any level. It'll be 2075 before the economics make it viable at scale and even longer for it to be widespread. It is exciting that the potential exists for humanity to have that source of energy next century! 

For now though, it's imperative that we implement as much renewable energy as possible as quickly as possible. 

• Plus1 3

Didn't want to start a new thread.

In his memo to Tesla’s executive staff, which was posted by two pro-Tesla Twitter accounts and which the billionaire appeared to confirm, Mr. Musk also wrote that “anyone who wishes to do remote work” must be in the office for a minimum of 40 hours a week. Those who decline should “depart Tesla,” he added.

He's probably trying to be a hard a$$, but I find it weird. Saying people should come in 5 days a week is one thing, but I didn't work 40 hours a week in the office prior to the pandemic. I could go to the dentist without taking PTO, or work from home if it snowed. Just seems like a pretty harsh line to draw in the sand. And, maybe Tesla is an exception because of the name, but I think it will be hard for your average company to require people to come into the office every day moving forward. I'm saying this as someone who prefers working at work.

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

He's probably trying to be a hard a$$, but I find it weird. Saying people should come in 5 days a week is one thing, but I didn't work 40 hours a week in the office prior to the pandemic. I could go to the dentist without taking PTO, or work from home if it snowed. Just seems like a pretty harsh line to draw in the sand. And, maybe Tesla is an exception because of the name, but I think it will be hard for your average company to require people to come into the office every day moving forward. I'm saying this as someone who prefers working at work.

I am not sure if this comes from my Mom who basically never took a day off, never went in late, never left early or anything like that but I have always thought that an office job is just that, you in the office, all day.  I have also always felt "guilty" about taking a day off.  It must just be how I am wired or something but in 20 years of teaching, I think I have used 12 days off and this year was the first year I took a day off to just sit and do nothing.

With that said, I am not old school when it comes to how to dress for work, I think you should wear pretty much anything you want.

I also agree that companies are finding out that people are not going to be going into the office and they will just have to deal with it.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I have no problem with what he’s doing.  

He can manage his office how he wants. If someone doesn’t like it, there are jobs everywhere right now. 

Im personally tired of trying to get ahold of someone only to be told….”they are working at home, they will call you back”. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have no problem with what he’s doing.  

He can manage his office how he wants. If someone doesn’t like it, there are jobs everywhere right now. 

Im personally tired of trying to get ahold of someone only to be told….”they are working at home, they will call you back”. 

What is your call back rate?  50%  If that?

On 5/31/2022 at 11:39 PM, Moiraine said:

I'll take someone who admits it any day over what we had with the previous administration.

Is any administration forthcoming? It's usually just excuses and cover up. Or ignore it and hope it goes away. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1