Economy

7 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

How long does it take to "fill up"?

Does it make a difference if you are in your own garage or at a public charging station?

Good questions. I’ve been wondering the same thing.

Like if you go on a long trip, how long will it take to stop and charge? Takes about ten minutes to fill the gas tank. Wouldn’t be a problem around town while able to charge at home but a longer trip could be PITA.

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Like if you go on a long trip, how long will it take to stop and charge? Takes about ten minutes to fill the gas tank. Wouldn’t be a problem around town while able to charge at home but a longer trip could be PITA.

My wife is looking for a new car.  She's looking at a hybrid Rav4.  This seems like a good combo.  Online, it said that the battery can get you 15-20 miles.  Then, the gas engine takes over for about 30-35 MPG.

This car would be used mostly within that 15-20 mile range.  Then, on longer distances, you can use the gas engine.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My wife is looking for a new car.  She's looking at a hybrid Rav4.  This seems like a good combo.  Online, it said that the battery can get you 15-20 miles.  Then, the gas engine takes over for about 30-35 MPG.

This car would be used mostly within that 15-20 mile range.  Then, on longer distances, you can use the gas engine.

I live in southwest NE.  The general consensus out here is that a fully electric vehicle in most cases with current technology just doesn't make sense because of the distances we travel.  However, the hybrids make considerable sense.  Currently, I am looking for a Hyundai Elantra hybrid for my daughter when she graduates high school.  It is supposed to get 56-58 mpg which is 10+ mpg better than the non-hybrid. 

Taking a fully electric vehicle long distances can be as big of pain or as little of pain as you really want to make it.  First, you want to take a route that has ample public charging stations.  Then, you want to schedule your bathroom breaks, meals, etc. around the range that you can travel.  Most I have talked to depending on the EV take 20-30 minutes to charge or get to at least 80%.  If you have a meal schedule around this, it really isn't a big deal.  The weather does play a pretty big part I'm also told.  The range of the batteries is shorter in colder temperatures.  I really don't know with regards to extreme hot temperatures but I would guess the a/c would be a drag on the battery.  It's completely doable, and I know many people who have done it.  I'd say most are 50/50 on whether they'd do it again.  It can be done, but the convenience of gas makes some not want to try it again.        

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

How long does it take to "fill up"?

Does it make a difference if you are in your own garage or at a public charging station?

I plug it in overnight and it's charged by the next morning. It also has some nice creature comforts like being able to set a schedule when I'm leaving for work in morning so it will turn on the climate control automatically. I can also operate many of the car's features from my phone. (Turning on the AC in the car before we leave a baseball game or a restaurant is REALLY nice.)

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

It depends a ton on the EV and the charger being used. I have a Tesla, so I can use their Supercharger network, which can charge my vehicle from 10% to 50% in about 10-15 minutes on most of the chargers. If you need charge above 50% then it really starts slowing down - about 20 minutes to go from 50% to 80% and then something like 20-30 minutes to go from 80% to 100%. If you're on the interstates where there are lots of chargers, then you stop for a 15 minute charge about every 2-2.5 hours. So definitely slower than filling with gas on a road trip, but not by a lot. But if you're not on routes with plenty of chargers, it's going to take longer and you'll also want to do some planning so you're not risking running out of battery (there are good apps that know where all the chargers are and can figure it all out for you).

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

I live in southwest NE.  The general consensus out here is that a fully electric vehicle in most cases with current technology just doesn't make sense because of the distances we travel.  However, the hybrids make considerable sense.  Currently, I am looking for a Hyundai Elantra hybrid for my daughter when she graduates high school.  It is supposed to get 56-58 mpg which is 10+ mpg better than the non-hybrid. 

Taking a fully electric vehicle long distances can be as big of pain or as little of pain as you really want to make it.  First, you want to take a route that has ample public charging stations.  Then, you want to schedule your bathroom breaks, meals, etc. around the range that you can travel.  Most I have talked to depending on the EV take 20-30 minutes to charge or get to at least 80%.  If you have a meal schedule around this, it really isn't a big deal.  The weather does play a pretty big part I'm also told.  The range of the batteries is shorter in colder temperatures.  I really don't know with regards to extreme hot temperatures but I would guess the a/c would be a drag on the battery.  It's completely doable, and I know many people who have done it.  I'd say most are 50/50 on whether they'd do it again.  It can be done, but the convenience of gas makes some not want to try it again.        

That's a pretty good summary. But keep in mind that different EV will have different ranges, so 80% in one isn't going to be the same distance as 80% in another.

This will become less and less of an issue as chargers keep getting built. Adding EV chargers is a whole lot easier than building a gas station since they can go almost anywhere there's already power lines. And Tesla looks like they are planning to open up their charging network to other EV's, which will be huge.

In my experience, not having to go to the gas station more than makes up for the extra time on long road trips, especially since my family only does that a few times a year.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I plug it in overnight and it's charged by the next morning. It also has some nice creature comforts like being able to set a schedule when I'm leaving for work in morning so it will turn on the climate control automatically. I can also operate many of the car's features from my phone. (Turning on the AC in the car before we leave a baseball game or a restaurant is REALLY nice.)

It depends a ton on the EV and the charger being used. I have a Tesla, so I can use their Supercharger network, which can charge my vehicle from 10% to 50% in about 10-15 minutes on most of the chargers. If you need charge above 50% then it really starts slowing down - about 20 minutes to go from 50% to 80% and then something like 20-30 minutes to go from 80% to 100%. If you're on the interstates where there are lots of chargers, then you stop for a 15 minute charge about every 2-2.5 hours. So definitely slower than filling with gas on a road trip, but not by a lot. But if you're not on routes with plenty of chargers, it's going to take longer and you'll also want to do some planning so you're not risking running out of battery (there are good apps that know where all the chargers are and can figure it all out for you).

That's a pretty good summary. But keep in mind that different EV will have different ranges, so 80% in one isn't going to be the same distance as 80% in another.

This will become less and less of an issue as chargers keep getting built. Adding EV chargers is a whole lot easier than building a gas station since they can go almost anywhere there's already power lines. And Tesla looks like they are planning to open up their charging network to other EV's, which will be huge.

In my experience, not having to go to the gas station more than makes up for the extra time on long road trips, especially since my family only does that a few times a year.

Thanks for the info.

And that gives me an idea. I get an EV, leave the windows down in my garage and run the AC. Good way to cool my garage :lol:

• Oh Yeah! 1

50 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

malreynolds-firefly.gif

That post truly pains the thermodynamics part of my brain.

38 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Well it's not technically a closed system...

I didn’t get past only thinking I wouldn’t have to worry about carbon monoxide. But yeah, the condenser should probably not also be in the garage. Some flexible duct, an inline fan, a big hole in the garage and I’m back in business with my $70,000 garage cooling plan :lol:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I didn’t get past only thinking I wouldn’t have to worry about carbon monoxide. But yeah, the condenser should probably not also be in the garage. Some flexible duct, an inline fan, a big hole in the garage and I’m back in business with my $70,000 garage cooling plan :lol:

Lol. Yeah, probably a better heater overall. I'm guessing the car should shutoff at some point if it gets too hot.

6 hours ago, junior4949 said:

That’s where I’m at with a fully electric car.