Off season sunshine pumping begins

13 hours ago, Corn55 said:

Frost is the worst coach in Nebraska history. He’s even worse than Mike Riley (who everybody scapegoats for his suckitude.) Frost is not going 14-0 or winning the national title as coach.

And he hid in a closet while his girlfriend was beaten up to boot. What an unmanly coward.

About 90% of the people who bring that up are not Husker fans.

• Plus1 5

Sam McKewon said:

"Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern tend to have great statistical defenses because their offenses play keep away."

I'm starting to wonder whether this is just a Husker fan's perspective of the situation. Possibly a much more accurate description of B1G West offenses is that they're just extremely disciplined and don't turn the ball over much. That produces the same result as "playing keep away," but is a different way of producing those good results.

Frost mainly ran high-percentage plays this season. He wasn't out there taking risks, and his play book was looking a fair bit less "Chip Kelly-ish" in the back half of this season, IMO. So I disagree (at least as it pertains to this season anyway) that the problem or outcome has much to do with Frost's offensive system in comparison to other B1G West offensive systems.

The problem with our team is turnovers and terrible special teams. And Frost just sucks at fixing those two things - period. Wake me up when that changes; until then, our results against the well-coached teams of our division will continue to be awful.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I'm not sure how much I buy the keep away argument for other big ten west defenses anymore. I definitely have used that argument, but Iowa and NW both faced 70+ plays per game which is more than average. Wisconsin this year only faced 59 per game, so maybe it applies there. But regardless, they were 3 of the top 5 P5 defenses in yards per play allowed. And some of the small numbers of plays defended isn't keep away - if you force them into 3 and outs you won't face many plays. 

I guess my point is offensive scheme isn't hurting our defense, and I no longer buy the argument that to field an elite defense we need an offensive shift. We faced the same number of plays as Iowa, fewer than NW. We don't need ball control, we do need offense and special teams not giving away tons of field position though. 

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how much I buy the keep away argument for other big ten west defenses anymore. I definitely have used that argument, but Iowa and NW both faced 70+ plays per game which is more than average. Wisconsin this year only faced 59 per game, so maybe it applies there. But regardless, they were 3 of the top 5 P5 defenses in yards per play allowed. And some of the small numbers of plays defended isn't keep away - if you force them into 3 and outs you won't face many plays. 

I guess my point is offensive scheme isn't hurting our defense, and I no longer buy the argument that to field an elite defense we need an offensive shift. We faced the same number of plays as Iowa, fewer than NW. We don't need ball control, we do need offense and special teams not giving away tons of field position though. 

When you're consistently outgaining teams and losing, that would point to your main systems being fine to even good, but needing to improve on the "hidden stats" like field position, turnovers, red zone scoring, etc., which I think most fans would agree we've been really bad at under Frost. That's why I really don't think we're as far away or struggling as much as people here like to say we are. Young teams are bad at that stuff and improve with experience. We've had young teams that are about to turn into veteran teams. And then hopefully we are able to "stay old" after that. 

• Plus1 4

On 1/18/2021 at 9:42 AM, Husker in WI said:

Yes! +1.

Again, I think game-by-game analysis helps in some of these conversations. Let's look at the Minnesota game (and we can look at any other game anybody else wants to dissect).

Our offensive system or Minnesota's offensive system didn't have anything to do with the 24-17 loss outcome in that game at all. Our defense played well enough...but we were -2 in the turnover margin. We ran for 197 yards (which is decent; they ran for 206).

We missed a field goal and averaged about 38 yards per punt. 

Turnovers & special team, turnovers & special teams, turnovers & special teams...

tenor.gif

• Plus1 1
On 1/18/2021 at 10:45 AM, J-MAGIC said:

That's why I really don't think we're as far away or struggling as much as people here like to say we are. Young teams are bad at that stuff and improve with experience.

I hear you. This next season is big for me in terms of my confidence in Frost in the area of actually fixing special teams & turnovers.

I'm not sure if you were on this board or not during the last offseason, but the number of excuses made for Frost was unreal. I personally was done with allowing him excuses heading into Year 3, and I'm definitely not giving him any wiggle room there in Year 4. Like, none.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I hear you. This next season is big for me in terms of my confidence in Frost in the area of actually fixing special teams & turnovers.

I'm not sure if you were on this board or not during the last offseason, but the number of excuses made for Frost was unreal. I personally was done with allowing him excuses heading into Year 3, and I'm definitely not giving him any wiggle room there in Year 4. Like, none.

I think Frostie knows his time of excuses has come to an end. He a football season this year in spite of mr. covid. Players developed, playbook developed, experience gained and most of the seniors are returning. Excuses won't be anything more than shameful admittance of not having the answers. Pretty sure all on here feel that way.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Glad you're not calling the shots.  This is a work in progress that will still deserve some wiggle room for at least another year.  Special teams has been and will always be a work in progress and never truly "fixed".  I think we all expect a jump in performance next year but I don't think anyone would be realistic to expect more than 6-8 wins.  And the same guys unhappy now will still be unhappy... until we one day win it all again.  Then they will still find things to complain about.  I actually like that about our fan base most of the time.    

Basically returning the full D next year gives me some hope.  Continuity will help the program.  If AM can get back to this Frosh form and the new transfers live up to their billing along wt Manning finally getting on the field I think we end up wt a winning season - finally.  I hope to be at the OU game wt my Ok Cornhusker Club and it would be oh so sweet for our veteran D to shut OU down.