Some Real Sunshine Pumping

The other sunshine pumping thread is bogus, so let's get some actual Kool-Aid flowing. 

To start our defense is almost intact as 9 out of 11 starters are back on a defense that has consistently improved. Our biggest need is a consistent pass rush and there are glimmers of hope as both Nelson and Payne had their moments. There is also a chance that Tannor or Cooper could breakout although I think this is less likely. Also, Stille and Rogers could continue to develop and generate more pressure from the inside. With a better pass rush I would expect more turnovers with QB strip fumbles and hurried throws turning into interceptions. Even without a good pass rush the defense has improved and is likely to be better in 2021. Of course if the offense can improve than the defense will also look better. 

On the offensive side of the ball we lost Robinson, but we have picked up some talent. The USC RB has a lot of potential, if he can stay healthy, and several of our RB's could be better than Mills. We had some injuries and a shortened season, but with a full spring and fall our RB's have the potential to make great strides. At WR we picked up the young man from Montana and Martin will have a full spring and fall as well. Nixon was injured and Manning, Betts, and Brown will have a full spring and fall to develop. We now have a stable of big WR's (Manning, Betts, Toure, & Martin) to go along with some faster WR's (Nixon & Brown). At TE Allen and Vokolek have looked good, especially Allen and with the Freshman Fidone coming in the TE position has quite a bit of fire power. As a Freshman Martinez looked good when he had some big down the field threats and now he will have them again in 2021. I think there is a good chance he will improve with the bigger WR's who can hopefully win some jump balls and make some plays down field. We lost two OL including our best Tackle, but his backup sure looked good in the one game he started. RT should improve with some seasoning as should Jurgens at Center who is maybe our most athletic lineman. Piper is back which just leaves one whole at guard with a number of candidates vying for the job. 

ST has been bad although improved from 2019 as at least we could make a FG in 2020. There were some injuries that hurt us here as well. Frost seems focused on improving this area as can be seen by the number of kickers/punters we had on the team. Even being average here makes us a much better team. Finally, turnovers and penalties have killed us and need to be fixed. A full spring and fall practice should help but we are still young on offense, so maybe some wishful thinking. 

• Plus1 8
  • Haha 1

The success of the 2021 season will be about how the offense does. If things turn for the better and they can average 32 points or so a game, the team will have a winning record. 

What will matter for the defense is the growth of the younger guys. If they keep getting better than the defense will have the depth to last all season without major issues. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, uberism said:

The success of the 2021 season will be about how the offense does. If things turn for the better and they can average 32 points or so a game, the team will have a winning record. 

What will matter for the defense is the growth of the younger guys. If they keep getting better than the defense will have the depth to last all season without major issues. 

If the offense can limit it's turnovers I think that right there is worth a few more wins.  We lose the turnover battle way too much.

• Plus1 2

19 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

With a better pass rush I would expect more turnovers with QB strip fumbles and hurried throws turning into interceptions.

Imagine what it would look like if they used linebackers to attack gaps and the DL had 1 on 1s. It would almost make sense. 

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, uberism said:

If things turn for the better and they can average 32 points or so a game...

Considering that we averaged 23 points per game in 2020, 32 might be a miracle. Now that's talking about conference games, of course, because we didn't play any cupcakes to boost the average this last season.

I would probably bet a sizable amount of money that averaging 28 PPG in conference play on offense would give us a winning season if our bad special teams play were to get fixed. But I don't really have much faith in special teams getting fixed, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Considering that we averaged 23 points per game in 2020, 32 might be a miracle. Now that's talking about conference games, of course, because we didn't play any cupcakes to boost the average this last season.

I would probably bet a sizable amount of money that averaging 28 PPG in conference play on offense would give us a winning season if our bad special teams play were to get fixed. But I don't really have much faith in special teams getting fixed, to be honest.

Not when we fired one ST analyst just to hire another. 

20 hours ago, Beez said:

If the offense can limit it's turnovers I think that right there is worth a few more wins.  We lose the turnover battle way too much.

Dead last the past 15 years.....Each TO is worth 4-5 points IIRC.....As close as our losses have been, this and field position should get several more wins on those alone.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Not when we fired one ST analyst just to hire another. 

No doubt. Fire one to hire one.  What coach did we have that was dealing with ST's? The analyst can't have a headset and can't talk to the kids.  So did NU just get a plan out before the game and we stuck with it regardless of what the other team showed?  Kind os like scripted.  ie KO we do this, punt we do this....No in game coaching/communication or adjustments...The was we perform, I'd sadly believe we have a standard plan and game day is like "Don't kick to him"...

46 minutes ago, lo country said:

No doubt. Fire one to hire one.  What coach did we have that was dealing with ST's? The analyst can't have a headset and can't talk to the kids.  So did NU just get a plan out before the game and we stuck with it regardless of what the other team showed?  Kind os like scripted.  ie KO we do this, punt we do this....No in game coaching/communication or adjustments...The was we perform, I'd sadly believe we have a standard plan and game day is like "Don't kick to him"...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was a grad assistant trying to help with things during games.  Frost is quoted saying he didn't want to burden a full time assistant with a position and special teams.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/special-teams-analyst-jonathan-rutledge-out-at-nebraska/article_8020c4d4-5687-11eb-ae51-fb3b58e5942d.amp.html

I'm a broken record I know but if this is again the plan that is severely disappointing.  It will cost NU at least one game next year if ST remain this bad due to Frost not giving a crap about it.  Big mistake in this conference not making it a priority.

12 hours ago, runningblind said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was a grad assistant trying to help with things during games.  Frost is quoted saying he didn't want to burden a full time assistant with a position and special teams.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/special-teams-analyst-jonathan-rutledge-out-at-nebraska/article_8020c4d4-5687-11eb-ae51-fb3b58e5942d.amp.html

I'm a broken record I know but if this is again the plan that is severely disappointing.  It will cost NU at least one game next year if ST remain this bad due to Frost not giving a crap about it.  Big mistake in this conference not making it a priority.

No doubt.  It's the 3rd phase of the game.  A lot of opportunities to improve our overall chances to win.  From our poor field position, teams return yards etc....No idea why Frost doesn't appear to realize that ST is a very important piece of the puzzle.  No actual coach assigned, IMHO, is just another check mark in the "in over his head" column.