Biden's Day 1 & Beyond Executive orders

Which Executive orders do you agree with  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Biden signed 17 EOs on Jan 20th - most reversing Trump EOs.   With the Poll please pick the ones you agree with.  Multiple choice. There is an option if you

don't agree with any of the EOs.   

topic                                  reversal                    summary
Regulation Yes Directs OMB director to develop recommendations to modernize regulatory review and undoes Trump's regulatory approval process
Immigration No Fortifies DACA after Trump's efforts to undo protections for undocumented people brought into the country as children
Immigration Yes Reverses the Trump administration's restrictions on US entry for passport holders from seven Muslim-majority countries
Immigration Yes Undoes Trump's expansion of immigration enforcement within the United States
Immigration Yes Halts construction of the border wall by terminating the national emergency declaration used to fund it
Immigration No Extends deferrals of deportation and work authorizations for Liberians with a safe haven in the United States until June 30, 2022
Ethics No Requires executive branch appointees to sign an ethics pledge barring them from acting in personal interest and requiring them to uphold the independence of the Department of Justice
Equity Yes Rescinds the Trump administration's 1776 Commission, directs agencies to review their actions to ensure racial equity
Equity No Prevents workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity
Environment Yes Rejoins the Paris climate accord, a process that will take 30 days
Environment Yes Cancels the Keystone XL pipeline and directs agencies to review and reverse more than 100 Trump actions on the environment
Economy No Extends the existing nationwide moratorium on evictions and foreclosures until at least March 31
Economy No Extends the existing pause on student loan payments and interest for Americans with federal student loans until at least September 30
Coronavirus No Launches a "100 Days Masking Challenge" asking Americans to wear masks for 100 days. Requires masks and physical distancing in federal buildings, on federal lands and by government contractors, and urges states and local governments to do the same.
Coronavirus Yes Stops the United States' withdrawal from the World Health Organization, with Dr. Anthony Fauci becoming the head of the delegation to the WHO
Coronavirus No Creates the position of Covid-19 Response Coordinator, reporting directly to Biden and managing efforts to produce and distribute vaccines and medical equipment
Census Yes Requires non-citizens to be included in the Census and apportionment of congressional representatives

• Thanks 1

I said yes on all but 3 which I was torn on: 

Instead of canceling the expansion of immigration enforcement and canceling the boarder wall construction at this time, I prefer they move quickly on a comprehensive immigration reform package - giving a pathway to citizenship for all and also addressing the DACA issue with citizenship.  The plan would include the wall and enforcement efforts as well.   Perhaps I don't understand what the expansion of immigration enforcement was under Trump, put I think our laws need to be enforced as written or amended by a comprehensive plan if out of date or burdensome.   I think this is the time to move quickly on a compressive plan while there is a spirit of cooperation (or so I hope) and where the parties have to work together in the  Senate has to get things done.   Throwing EOs at the problem either by Trump or by Biden just makes this a continual pendulum swing that needs to end once and for all. 

I think it is a mistake to stop the Keystone Pipeline.  However the 2nd part of that EO was to review the 100s of other Trump environmental actions - which I agree with.   So I voted no on that one just for the sake of the pipeline.  That oil will now most likely head west to Asian countries instead of coming to the world's largest oil storage facility just west of Tulsa in Cushing, Ok.   The pipeline also has been a pendulum swinging object over 3 administrations if not 4.  While we press for more environmentally friendly options, we still need to maintain our energy freedom from Middle East oil (and their wars)  and the pipeline is one cog in that wheel.  

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The plan would include the wall

The wall is a useless waste of money. They go over, around or through it. We cannot effectively patrol that border to make a wall effective. That money is far better spent on your other ideas, like immigration reform, pathway to citizenship programs, DACA, etc. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The wall is a useless waste of money. They go over, around or through it. We cannot effectively patrol that border to make a wall effective. That money is far better spent on your other ideas, like immigration reform, pathway to citizenship programs, DACA, etc. 

My parents are wintering in Arizona for this first time and we were talking about the wall. They said the news had a segment that showed an 8 year old girl climbing it like a playground jungle gym. Went right over

• Plus1 2

I think I said yes to all but the mask mandate in all federal buildings.  Don't worry, I'm not anti mask and I don't have a problem wearing one anytime I'm in a crowd, restaurant...etc.

However, I read this right after I got back from getting mail at the post office.  I go there every day, I live in a small town.  When I go to the post office, MAYBE, there is one other guy getting mail who is at the other end.....much farther than 6'.  Today...I wasn't thinking about it and he said...."so, now it's mandated we have to wear a mask to get our mail?"  

I understand a mandate like this in a larger community where you're guaranteed to be around other people when you go to the post office.  But.....

Also, if I remember right, it included also if you're on "federal land".  So....I go hiking in a national forest where I'm nowhere close to anyone and outside and the whole time I'm hiking I'm required to wear a mask?

My point is, I'm all for wearing masks to help stop this virus.  But....there also has to be some reasonableness to this and it's pretty difficult to have a mandate like that as one size fits all.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

nstead of canceling the expansion of immigration enforcement and canceling the boarder wall construction at this time, I prefer they move quickly on a comprehensive immigration reform package - giving a pathway to citizenship for all and also addressing the DACA issue with citizenship.  The plan would include the wall and enforcement efforts as well.   Perhaps I don't understand what the expansion of immigration enforcement was under Trump, put I think our laws need to be enforced as written or amended by a comprehensive plan if out of date or burdensome.   I think this is the time to move quickly on a compressive plan while there is a spirit of cooperation (or so I hope) and where the parties have to work together in the  Senate has to get things done.   Throwing EOs at the problem either by Trump or by Biden just makes this a continual pendulum swing that needs to end once and for all. 

I voted for these issues knowing that I ultimately support comprehensive immigration reform like you mention.  I just don't see why we need to keep spending money on a stupid friggen wall that doesn't help anything.  I'm not sure exactly what all else the EO would end, but I'm all for ending the direction Trump was taking with it and the attitude he was spewing.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I think it is a mistake to stop the Keystone Pipeline.  However the 2nd part of that EO was to review the 100s of other Trump environmental actions - which I agree with.   So I voted no on that one just for the sake of the pipeline.  That oil will now most likely head west to Asian countries instead of coming to the world's largest oil storage facility just west of Tulsa in Cushing, Ok.   The pipeline also has been a pendulum swinging object over 3 administrations if not 4.  While we press for more environmentally friendly options, we still need to maintain our energy freedom from Middle East oil (and their wars)  and the pipeline is one cog in that wheel.  

I didn't have a problem voting for this one.  I've been against the pipeline from the beginning.  I have a real problem with a foreign government and a foreign company using eminent domain to take land or negatively affect American land owners.  If those landowners don't want it, our government shouldn't be letting foreign governments take their land.  Ultimately, this pipeline was going to go all the way to Galveston.  I have to believe it's going there so it can be exported.  So....why should American land owners be negatively affected so that a foreign government and company can export their oil to somewhere else?  The vast majority of the jobs that were going to be created are temporary construction jobs.  After they are done, we have to deal with the pipeline.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yes, I agree on that, but there has got to be a way to stop the smuggling of people and drugs, coyotes (people not animals:)).  It is a long boarder and I'm sure the determined will find a way around, under, over it. Not sure how you stop that without some kind of wall - physical, electronic or other.   

I'm not saying I'm for all of  this but perhaps some radical ideas have to be considered that have been discussed previously:

1. Legalize Drugs - which will take the power away from the cartels.  Also create a humane and comprehensive rehab program to get people off of drugs. Jail time  isn't the best rehap program.  Jail is expensive & ineffective in dealing with these issues.  

2. Build the real wall at the southern Mexico boarder - working with the Mexican govt to stop the flow northward

3. Expand the reach of Trump era Canada, Mexico, USA trade deal to include all countries north of South America.  Make it a true North American agreement - to help rid those countries of violence, poverty, joblessness, etc.  Instead of sending all of our foreign aid to countries in other continents and instead of outsourcing all of our production needs to China, Vietnam, why not make it an North American emphasis.  The more we help those countries in NA the more we help ourselves and remove the reason for so many immigrants to leave their countries.   I think a comprehensive North American Trade and foreign aid package would go a long way in solving some of 

our boarder issues.  Of course, that might mean providing incentives for those governments to change and being willing to give their people new opportunity. They would also need to crack down on all of the thuggery and gangs that drive people north out of fear.  This would be a long term processes.  

4.  Expand the political asylum option for immigrants.  If people are running away from tyranny or fear of unchecked gangs, our door should always be open.  But there should be a verification  process - we don't want terrorists coming here under that guise.  

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I didn't have a problem voting for this one.  I've been against the pipeline from the beginning.  I have a real problem with a foreign government and a foreign company using eminent domain to take land or negatively affect American land owners.  If those landowners don't want it, our government shouldn't be letting foreign governments take their land.  Ultimately, this pipeline was going to go all the way to Galveston.  I have to believe it's going there so it can be exported.  So....why should American land owners be negatively affected so that a foreign government and company can export their oil to somewhere else?  The vast majority of the jobs that were going to be created are temporary construction jobs.  After they are done, we have to deal with the pipeline.

AMEN.

Keystone XL was always going to only benefit Canada and China. They used eminent domain to steal land from citizens and Native Americans to benefit foreigners. This was a load of hogwash from day one. They promised thousands of jobs - that was a bald-faced lie. 

That garbage was going to be shipped to the Gulf, processed and sent overseas. It won't make "clean" enough oil for American use, but China was good with it. 

Meanwhile, every leak pollutes American soil and we get nothing out of it. Complete bulls#!t. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can appreciate this point and didn't consider it.  If indeed it is mainly to get oil to the port in Houston area, then no - I'm not for it.  If it was for USA supply, I'm more open to it.   

Not sure how a foreign govt is using eminent domain - it would have to be our govt doing it.    

With all of that said, I haven't looked at how much land they are taking. We got pipelines galore in Oklahoma so it probably doesn't seem as much of big deal to us.  I don't think it should be route through Indian sacred ground either.  They probably could have done a better job of mapping it out where there was less controversy.  

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

AMEN.

Keystone XL was always going to only benefit Canada and China. They used eminent domain to steal land from citizens and Native Americans to benefit foreigners. This was a load of hogwash from day one. They promised thousands of jobs - that was a bald-faced lie. 

That garbage was going to be shipped to the Gulf, processed and sent overseas. It won't make "clean" enough oil for American use, but China was good with it. 

Meanwhile, every leak pollutes American soil and we get nothing out of it. Complete bulls#!t. 

Well if that is the true story behind it all, then I wouldn't be for it.  I'll have to see if I can change my vote. 

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Our government is using eminent domain to take land from American land owners so that a foreign government and company can use it.

Gotcha - I changed my vote on this.  If the ultimate goal is just to get the oil to China and elsewhere, then let them pipe it west to Vancouver on their own land. 

I wonder how much USA land has been disrupted so far??

• TGHusker changed the title to Biden's Day 1 & Beyond Executive orders