Lubick to leave?

I'll never complain about someone going after a head coaching job if the school doing the hiring wants to hire the coach. There are some coaches on the staff that would make me lose sleep if they left, but this isn't the one for the simple reason that Frost runs the offense anyways so you aren't starting from scratch again. 

Frost could just hire a WR coach and Frost run the offense or give a promotion to one of the current offensive assistants to OC and hire a WR only coach. 

Beckton or Held could be given the OC title, for example. 

By all accounts, even his own, Frost pretty much runs the offense.  I do not think the loss would impact us much at all.  The receiver room will be pretty much "brand new" next year so not like we are losing the receiver coach who has really worked with/developed the guys.....Unsure who we'd hire to replace him.  Personally, I'd like a guy who was the actual OC. Let Frost concentrate on the overall team.

Best of luck to him regardless.  Has a lot of ties there. Would make sense.  

3 different guys teaching the offense in 3 years is not ideal. That means Frost would likely call 100% of the plays again. Although I’m not entirely sure how good Lubick is or isn't because he’s just a yes man or had been until the last few games. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, lo country said:

By all accounts, even his own, Frost pretty much runs the offense.  I do not think the loss would impact us much at all.  The receiver room will be pretty much "brand new" next year so not like we are losing the receiver coach who has really worked with/developed the guys.....Unsure who we'd hire to replace him.  Personally, I'd like a guy who was the actual OC. Let Frost concentrate on the overall team.

Best of luck to him regardless.  Has a lot of ties there. Would make sense.  

Frost was planning to heavily lean on Lubick to influence the offense.  Like has been said, we saw that in the last few games and I think we saw an improvement.  Lubick knows Frost's offense and knows what he wants to do.

I feel like this would be a major impact.  However, that would depend more on who he hires to replace him.

12 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Maybe we can use the open spot to hire a full time ST coach so none of the other assistants have to spend time on that.  I would think that would be a consideration.

No. Still need a WR coach if Lubick got the Montana job. 

I have doubts he ends up at that job for one big reason - less pay for more stress (responsibilities). Better off growing as the OC and taking a P5 job if proven success comes. 

• Haha 1

This article notes the another candidate is.......   wait for it........  biggy candidate........  blow away your expectations...........Mike Riley    tenor.gif

With competition like that, Lubick can start packing his bags.

I wish Frost would hire a big name OC and turn the play calling over to him.  However, it would be difficult for him to find someone with the same philosophy and who would

come to Neb if he is a 'big name'.   Frost needs to manage the whole team. 

Thinking out loud here: Maybe Frost's ceiling was being a OC at a P5 school or HC at a G6 school.  So far it hasn't worked out so great and we sure don't need any more set backs - losing players to portal and coaches who leave to coach elsewhere.  Maybe he could be the ST coach - less demanding of his time during the game than being the HC/OC.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/sources-husker-oc-lubick-a-candidate-for-fcs-head-coaching-job/article_59c8aa03-3f6f-5141-957f-e6f64ea072c0.amp.html

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Toe said:

FCS? I think I'd just stick with being a P5 coordinator and wait for a better opportunity.

Ya, P5 coordinators in good standing  don't normally go looking for a FCS job. Only way I can see this is if he just wants to live in Montana and be away from the pressure of a major program 

28 minutes ago, uberism said:

No. Still need a WR coach if Lubick got the Montana job. 

I have doubts he ends up at that job for one big reason - less pay for more stress (responsibilities). Better off growing as the OC and taking a P5 job if proven success comes. 

9 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Ya, P5 coordinators in good standing  don't normally go looking for a FCS job. Only way I can see this is if he just wants to live in Montana and be away from the pressure of a major program 

Which one is it,  more stress or less???

43 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Maybe we can use the open spot to hire a full time ST coach so none of the other assistants have to spend time on that.  I would think that would be a consideration.

18 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

New structure?

Frost:         HC & QB Coach 

New Guy:  New QB Analyst

New Guy:  OC & WR Coach

New Guy:  Dedicated ST Coach 

So you switch some things around but biggest change is you move from a full-time QB coach to a full-time ST coach.

If someone else voluntarily leaves and he still sticks with an analyst for ST....that would be disappointing.  In that second scenario though, where is Verduzco going?  He isn't getting canned, that's clear.