Lubick to leave?

3 hours ago, Rondo402 said:

First post, so please take it easy on me. Considering Frost calls most of the plays, may be best suited to get someone who can gain traction on the recruiting trail.

Well if its true that Frost was letting Lubick call more plays at the end of the year so he could focus more on the rest of the team then it would be a big loss if he doesnt find someone else he is comfortable with. 

19 minutes ago, cornheadnation said:

I see Herman going to a G5 (UCF probably) or taking an OC at a top tier program (could honestly see him replacing the guy who replaced him)

No issue with your post, I just want us to start thinking creatively in finding a solution to our problems.  We are simply not equipped to be Oregon of 10 years ago so let's not work on getting that band back together.

Herman has experience in the Big 10, Big XII and American.  His offensive methodology has largely worked across conferences.  We need a counterweight in the offensive game planning / play calling to Coach Frost.  

7 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Frost said Lubick has been calling some plays all season and only in the last 2 games did they split the play calling 50/50.  Offensively we've taken a step back this season especially when it comes to play calling besides losing several key players including the face of our offense as well as a four star recruit who all straight up left the program at the WR position.  I wouldn't lose sleep if he decided to also go elsewhere.

I agree that since it doesn't appear Lubick did much this past season it may not be a huge loss, but it also would be another change for the offense.  Now if Frost can go out and get a stud OC that may bring different ideas to the able, and Frost would empower the OC to run the ship, I think this could be a potentially good thing for the program.  

Who are some of the best offensive minds out there that we could bring in?  Here is a list of the top 25 offensive play callers as of last fall.  Some are obviously head coaches but others are coordinators.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/top-25-offensive-minds-college-football-preseason-2020/

59 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

No issue with your post, I just want us to start thinking creatively in finding a solution to our problems.  We are simply not equipped to be Oregon of 10 years ago so let's not work on getting that band back together.

Herman has experience in the Big 10, Big XII and American.  His offensive methodology has largely worked across conferences.  We need a counterweight in the offensive game planning / play calling to Coach Frost.  

you mean like say.. maybe Navy's OC.. add in some sincere attempt at running some option offense? Thought everyone agreed, that offense has long since past. Personally, I'd like frostie to meet with Andy Reid and Company.. throw a little Bieniemy flare into his playbook.. A playbook mind you that each week they create one set just for that game with 2 (maybe 3) multiple off the set.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Well if its true that Frost was letting Lubick call more plays at the end of the year so he could focus more on the rest of the team then it would be a big loss if he doesnt find someone else he is comfortable with. 

I fail to see your point here. I didn’t mention Lubick in my post....Do you really think SF is handing off play calling duties? Would rather we get an ace recruiter/wr coach. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree that since it doesn't appear Lubick did much this past season it may not be a huge loss, but it also would be another change for the offense.  Now if Frost can go out and get a stud OC that may bring different ideas to the able, and Frost would empower the OC to run the ship, I think this could be a potentially good thing for the program.  

Who are some of the best offensive minds out there that we could bring in?  Here is a list of the top 25 offensive play callers as of last fall.  Some are obviously head coaches but others are coordinators.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/top-25-offensive-minds-college-football-preseason-2020/

The number of names on this list coming to Lincoln to be OC rhymes with zero.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost was planning to heavily lean on Lubick to influence the offense.  Like has been said, we saw that in the last few games and I think we saw an improvement.  Lubick knows Frost's offense and knows what he wants to do.

I feel like this would be a major impact.  However, that would depend more on who he hires to replace him.

I agree with you.  Purdue definitely looked like a completely different game plan.  If who ever called that game, called Minnie we would have one.  Frost is just so cryptic ie we split calls, went 50/50, each called scripted plays....I really don't know, other than Purdue looked and felt better.

I know a lot of folks are wanting an OC/Co-OC who really knows Frost's philosophy. I want an OC who knows the B1G.  And maybe that guy is Lubick.  Maybe Frost gives him the keys in 2021.  I do not mind the speed and stretch plays,  BUT not at the expense of being able to truck a guy.  I like power.  A lot. I'd like to see our base be 12/13 personnel (At least until we can get some receivers).  Down hill running game with counters/traps and dives.  Maybe use a TE in motion to become an HB.....Use PA to get vertical.  Use our new bigger receivers to play much more physical.  Set the edges where we can actually run some sweeps, outside zone read stuff....I'd also love Austins comments from last year about some old school NU being a staple.....But I digress.  

1 hour ago, Rondo402 said:

I fail to see your point here. I didn’t mention Lubick in my post....Do you really think SF is handing off play calling duties? Would rather we get an ace recruiter/wr coach. 

Your whole post is about a new person that would be replacing Lubick so it's kind of the whole point of your post. Frost said after the season that he started giving up more play calling duties. So if you don't believe that that's fine but I already qualified my post with the if that is true.  Any other part that needs explaining?

6 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Your whole post is about a new person that would be replacing Lubick so it's kind of the whole point of your post. Frost said after the season that he started giving up more play calling duties. So if you don't believe that that's fine but I already qualified my post with the if that is true.  Any other part that needs explaining?

That was painful to read, but no, you have explained enough. Good day sir. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, uberism said:

Doesn't seem like he is going to be working that Montana State job. He's been offering WR's today and recently. Probably going to get a bigger role with the O at Nebraska. 

I like the sounds of that!  At end of season there was a distinct change in the play calling mid game which got called out in the game thread and it just felt so much more comfortable for everyone to execute. I really hope Frost can take a step back and let him do his job.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Yeah I get what you're saying, and if that could be be pulled off I'd give it two thumbs up. However, a creative way of thinking is going to have to be pulling out a diamond in the rough. Herman would be an obvious choice IMO but, Its also the obvious choice for about anyone who has a coordinator position available. I know project coordinators don't usually work out, but that's just kind of where we are now. Lubick is probably as high profile of a name we are capable of getting at this point. Honestly, I would also be surprised if he's actually going anywhere, anyways. So it probably doesn't matter much either way.