Lubick to leave?

32 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Pretty sure most of Dabo's staff has been at Clemson since before Mike Riley was at Nebraska. 

4 OC's since 2009, 5 DL coaches, a few DB coaches. Only on his 2nd DC though.  Bottom line, what he is doing is working.  Dude is a winner.

Here is a good article on the Tigers.  Speaks to Juco's, development and the transfer portal.  "The Dabo way".

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/football/clemsons-coaching-staff-retention-truly-something-to-behold

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Dabo gives me Hugh Freeze vibes.  

Same. Some of the crap that comes out of his mouth boggles the mind.  Same could be said about Frost but at least I think he runs a mostly clean enterprise.  I won't be so naive to think any program is spotless of course.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

4 OC's since 2009, 5 DL coaches, a few DB coaches. Only on his 2nd DC though.  Bottom line, what he is doing is working.  Dude is a winner.

Here is a good article on the Tigers.  Speaks to Juco's, development and the transfer portal.  "The Dabo way".

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/football/clemsons-coaching-staff-retention-truly-something-to-behold

Venebels has been quoted as saying he does not want to be a HC, that definitely helps.  We need a Venebels haha.

8 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Venebels has been quoted as saying he does not want to be a HC, that definitely helps.  We need a Venebels haha.

Good for him. So many people in every industry out there just want to get promoted, or to promote the best people at certain positions but that is a poor decision way more often than you'd think. A star individual contributor won't always be a great manager and shouldn't want to be in a lot of cases.

• Plus1 1

On 1/29/2021 at 4:01 PM, BaytownHusker said:

The day Herman was fired I told my sons I wish Frost would bring him here to run the O.

Completely agree.  He was effective in this role at several stops so why not explore it when the offense has become unreliable the past 2 seasons?  The program just seems content with a vision that is not being realized.

Clemson struggled defensively for years as they looked to be competitive in the ACC and nationally.  Coach Swinney eventually decided to make the hire of Brent Venables a priority so they could become a regular contender.  Oklahoma under Coach Stoops similarly made a move offensively when they sacked Josh Heupel as OC in favor of Lincoln Riley.    

Continuity in support of perennial underperformance is not a virtue in modern day football.  We just need to be more nimble with our approach.

22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Venables is making over $2 million a year.  He'll be okay.

I think maybe he is self aware enough to understand his faults and realize he's not head coach material. That's a total assumption nut definitely a possibility. That or he knows if he gets a job its probably a rebuild and he'd rather win as a DC instead of going through that

• Plus1 2

19 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Thats not the 4-5 million a year that head coaches make

True.  But sometimes being wealthy and being happy is better than being even more wealthy and living a life you don't really enjoy.

I'd make a lot more money as a principal.  I'm capable, and I'd probably be better than some that already have that job in the state.  But in no way do I ever see myself leaving the classroom to be an administrator.  Just because someone doesn't want to go after higher pay, happiness be damned, doesn't mean they aren't driven.  I just means they aren't driven by money.

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

True.  But sometimes being wealthy and being happy is better than being even more wealthy and living a life you don't really enjoy.

I'd make a lot more money as a principal.  I'm capable, and I'd probably be better than some that already have that job in the state.  But in no way do I ever see myself leaving the classroom to be an administrator.  Just because someone doesn't want to go after higher pay, happiness be damned, doesn't mean they aren't driven.  I just means they aren't driven by money.

Very good point as we must all determine what is the most valuable.  I will say however that I wonder if Husker reporters have a choice these days.  For years they chose the latter and enjoyed a winning product on the field to report on. 

Nowadays, it must be struggle just to get out of bed in the morning.  Especially on autumn weekends on the road when their per diem is exhausted and they find an empty scotch bottle on the floor following another losing performance.  I have the luxury of being able to turn it off in the 1st Quarter!

14 minutes ago, Decked said:

Good we need the stability as long as the stability moves us forward and towards success.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2