Lubick to leave?

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Apologies Captain Literal.  Referring to no depth at skill positions other than TE.  No idea how the season will go.  Defense and QB/TE play will have to carry the O.....Sad statement concerning Frost's bona Fides as an offensive guru. I hope he turns out and shows up next season.  No one wants him to fail.....He just has a lot of baggage to over come form the previous 3 years....

Nebraska's baggage goes back further than 3 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And Mac Jones had first round NFL talent all around him. I agree that Martinez needs to try to not do too much, but it’s hard when he’s the most talented player on offense. 

Agree. That was my intent of the "carry the team" comment.  Until we get the receivers and RB room up to speed, I think he will be the offense.  Hoping they can really dial in some great and creative ways to use the TE's. They will (at least to start) be the strength of the offense.  Easier to look all everything when surrounded by all everything talent.  And not a knock on Jones, he could make a bad receiver look very good...

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I honestly don't mind running a smaller guy with strong legs in short yardage situations.  Those types of guys can find creases and make up for lack of effective blocking.  

When you spread things laterally it makes since or when it's Ameer, sure. We had a lot of success laterally with Wan'Dale in the red zone. Wan'Dale is not as strong/powerful or as elusive (way better juke though) as Ameer was but we tried to make him run straight ahead more than once with very minimal success if any.

3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

His  YPC is 1/2 yard more than any other RB on the team. Seems pretty logical to me to at least give him some chances. Or does his small stature only make him unable to outgain all of the other backs when it fits a narrative?

Sure give him a few chances, but why are we still trying to force a square peg in a round hole at the end of the season when we already know it doesn't work? Wan'Dale was great in space and working his game laterally. Goal-to-go between the tackles was not his strength. You need someone who can push piles and drag tackles, a true RB. That's not Wan'Dale.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be a happy man if I never see someone refer to a football play as “too cute” again.  That term should be banned from football. 

Here, imagine she's holding a football:

4LUhQj7.jpg

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, lo country said:

Nah.  Some are game managers.  Get the ball to their playmakers and let them do the heavy lifting.  Don't get TO's or make mistakes......AM needs to play like AM 1.0 next year.  I look at Mac Jones from Bama,  Great QB, but he didn't "carry" the team.  he did his job with precision.

I, too, magically wish Nebraska was Alabama

• Haha 3

Shovel passes to TEs are the type of red zone plays that are brought up to illustrate what an offensive genius Andy Reid is. And the Packers had a historically good red zone offense - of their 21 offensive TDs of less than 10 yards, 16 were passes. Including 6 1-yard TD passes. There are obviously differences in personnel, but once we actually execute the play call no one will be bothered by what it was.

The Hickman shovel is a good example - I think the call was fine, and it may be a TD if Jaimes was playing. It looked like Hickman was expecting to cut inside of Corcoran, but hesitated and Corcoran got pushed back quite a ways. If he doesn't, I think Hickman just keeps going outside where Stoll had his guy driven 3 yards into end zone. If we make a block it's a great call, it plays perfectly off of the slicing block Hickman almost always does with that motion. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, ZRod said:

Sure give him a few chances, but why are we still trying to force a square peg in a round hole at the end of the season when we already know it doesn't work? Wan'Dale was great in space and working his game laterally. Goal-to-go between the tackles was not his strength. You need someone who can push piles and drag tackles, a true RB. That's not Wan'Dale.

Wandale was our ONLY back that could find a seam in an average at best O-Line. In fact, I believe his only rushing TD on the season was a short yardage carry at the end of said season against Rutgers.  It's only a bad idea when it fails.  Hindsight creates genius' out of everybody.  I am not necessarily trying to argue that Wandale is best utilized in goal line carries, I am more trying to argue that we need an upgrade at the RB position, given what Frost actually had to work with last season, using Wandale was not folly. 

• Plus1 3